Crossing the Rabbi.

Painting.

Right, back home after playing Granddad for a few days, it's time to finish this one off.

The first thing that I have to say at this stage is that when I built this model, I omitted to take any photos of the painting/decalling/weathering, so the following cobbled together shots will have to suffice.

I primed the model first using Mr. Surfacer 500. Once dry, I sprayed it with a mix of Tamiya XF62, lightened with XF3 Yellow. I then lightened this mix with some more yellow and sprayed some random patches and streaks all over. Once dry, I coated the entire model with Johnson’s Klear ready for decaling and weathering.

dbb6dc7c-94d8-47e5-b268-0812eeed653c.JPG

Bison Decals do a very nice sheet called “British Shermans in Italy” numbered 35089 and on it are four Sherman lll’s and a Sherman 11a of the Queens Bays. Unfortunately, the Roman numerals “lll” and the capital “B”, are too tall for the stowage shelf. They look as though they were meant to go on the original kit’s offering, which is deeper than the etched one from Aber that I had used. So these items were made up from spare pieces of decal and finished off by hand painting. The rest of the set went on with no problems.

Once dry, the whole model was coated with Klear again.

15f98f1e-4cc1-4713-b78c-cd4d08919556.JPG

After drying for 24 hours, I gave the entire model a wash using the Dark Wash from Mig products. This was left to dry for another 24 hours before moving on to the weathering. I kept this fairly simple and just applied Mig’s Europe Dust in relevant positions.

The figures used are a mixture of Resicast Tank Crew Summer 1944 in the turret and Miniart British Tank Crew in the co-driver’s position, this last one with the pose altered and the head replaced with one from Hornet.

42b75d4c-1577-4686-b7bf-a0db8f52c8df.JPG

The base was quite simple to make. I glued a polystyrene ceiling tile to a wooden base and dug out enough material to allow the tanks tracks and the lower part of the road wheels to sit in and painted it with artist’s acrylic paints. The tank was then glued in place and the entire surface of the tile was covered with three coats of Deluxe Products Solid Water, which is a clear, two part resin. To finish I brushed gloss varnish over the tracks and up the sides of the lower hull to make it appear wet.

e63fea11-3481-4433-9860-8f06e4459ebb.JPG

696a1d78-a8fa-4c6e-b7db-0e5a18fd7ac3.JPG

That’s about it before putting it in RFI. I’ve added some extra items such as the foliage that appears in the photo. Thanks for looking.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
  • Like 18

18 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up John.

Excellent model and scenic base. Really enjoyed watching this one come together.

Regards

Steve

17 hours ago, Hamden said:

Stunning result

Roger

Thanks a lot for the comments. Even though it is an old kit, it builds up well.

John.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a stunna John, your figures though are on another level though, the expressions & interplay between them is beyond superb. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I appreciate that. It helps when the figures are well moulded/cast as these were. And there was a bit of poetic license with the positioning of the figures as I only had a rear view of the tank.

John.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Looks great, the Italeri Sherman really does go together well considering its age, and your composition of the tank, figures and base really does capture the essence of the original picture.

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Very nice my favourite tank the Sherman

got to be a winner with that John  👍

beefy

4 hours ago, Carius said:

Impressive Sherman my friend. I love it.

Thanks very much for all of your comments. I've done a little work on it today, adding some foliage that I'd omitted when I first built it. Hopefully, I'll get some photos done tomorrow.

John.

Wow that looks brilliant John, love the way you paint your models master class mate, I think we need to see you start a build its just a natural for you :like:

Regards

Richard

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Wow that looks brilliant John, love the way you paint your models master class mate, I think we need to see you start a build its just a natural for you :like:

Regards

Richard

Many thanks Richard. Much appreciated. I'm torn at the moment between finishing one of the many started projects, or getting something completely new out. Decisions, decisions!

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff E said:

Excellent result John, love the finish on the tank and base and the figures are stunning.

Cheers Jeff

Thanks for your comments Jeff. The finished and updated model is now in RFI.

John.

15 hours ago, Hewy said:

Smashing scene that john , the crew look very relaxed for being that deep in s#$t  ,you ought to call the vignette "how did we end up here" , great job 

Thanks Glynn. I added to the model for the RFI, but the crew are still relaxed about it:).

John.

• Like 1