1962 - Bristol Type 188 first flight

..and a bit more progress. 

Re-shaping the fuselage bit by bit. The nacelles have progressed, and some detail started to be added to the rear. The jet pipe will be tomato paste tube, grooved and rolled up - it will just slot in.

The intake bullets have been started - I think they work ok, and all the faults with them can't be seen once they are in place. 😀 The parachute housing has been started as well.

48780578182_4b28eca135_c.jpg

48780035448_409d9b65d3_c.jpg

• Like 8

I love builds that make you delve into the spares box or (possibly as in this case) the kitchen cupboard! Looking better with every update, so keep at it, she’s a beaut.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I love builds that make you delve into the spares box or (possibly as in this case) the kitchen cupboard! Looking better with every update, so keep at it, she’s a beaut.

Thanks - so far we have;

Yoghurt pot - plastic card for nacelle fins,                      Zhengdfu Flanker - intake bullets for missile,

Tomato puree tube - jet pipes,                                         Eduard etch for F14 - afterburner rings,

Airfix Bf 109 - WGR 21s for jet pipe exhaust bullets,      Sprue for shaped fairings on wings & nacelles,

Matchbox Fury - Pilot,                                                       Heller Sabre - bang seat,

..and some bits from the kit. The great stuff about vacforms is you get a spare bit of plastic card to use as well..😀

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

..and more plodding along has got us here.

Fill, prime, sand process continues on the fuselage/wings - it's not looking too bad now. Every time something is improved it highlights shape mismatches on the fuselage halves, and so on.

Slot has been cut out for the tailplane to fit into.

48857806681_6a16dce94c_c.jpg

The nacelles & bits have had a squirt of Alclad - they haven't turned out too badly. Nothing fixed yet - just for show! Also started to cut a slot into one piece to allow it to slide over the wing. Measure twice and cut once - hopefully it will all line up.

48857452688_a54cb9346f_c.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

That looks a treat mate. Inspiration to get me going  on my vac kit (Maintrack I think).

Cheers!

I think the Maintrack vac has the nacelles moulded as one with the wings and you get a few metal bits with it?

Hopefully it won't fight you like this one has fought me - we shall prevail though...😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Cheers!

I think the Maintrack vac has the nacelles moulded as one with the wings and you get a few metal bits with it?

Hopefully it won't fight you like this one has fought me - we shall prevail though...😀

I wasn't even close- my kit is by RVF (I looked it up on my spreadsheet). IIRC there's no extras in the bag, just sheets of plastic and a page with an exploded view. One day, one day...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's looking lovely and certainly worth all the effort put in so far, although I'm sure you've had second thoughts at times! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Second, third, and fourth! It's time to crack on now - off to Japan for some F4 action at Hyakuri in a couple of weeks, time's a wastin'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zebra said:

This is looking excellent. Well worth the effort you're putting in! Looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers - struggling a bit at the moment with a trapped nerve which has left me looking even older than the old man I normally am, and has made me even more grumpy - something that people thought was impossible!

However, trying my best to get back in the saddle this afternoon all being well! 😀

• Sad 2

Get well soon Jinxman and don't worry about the "Grumpy" bit, its a trait we older men get when others either want more money or no one agrees with your point of view, how can that be your (our) fault? 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Get well soon Jinxman and don't worry about the "Grumpy" bit, its a trait we older men get when others either want more money or no one agrees with your point of view, how can that be your (our) fault? 

Cheers.. Dave  

Well said!

Feeling much better this morning, so a bit of an update.

I did some work to the stand - it's an old Tri-ang one, and using an altered scan of the Bristol 138A 'Trailblazer' transfer I have Lightroomed up one for this kit - Frog should have released the Type 188 as a kit shouldn't they?

48896118308_4ca51dc16c_c.jpg

48896669661_490f96d9e0_c.jpg

The nacelles have progressed, apart from dropping one of the bullets, which fell on the pointy end of course - now tidied up, (again). Have also had a problem with spraying the black primer - it seems to be taking an age to dry - both Alclad's and Humbrol's - I'll try a different thinner next time out.

Exhausts will be glued on next, still some alignments to sort out, but nothing that some judicious cutting and filing won't sort out. 

48896843112_025ee537ec_c.jpg

48896843347_e42febd3e2_c.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Colin W said:

What a cracking looking machine. You must be well motivated to finish this one. 

Colin 

It is a spectacular looking thing, just a pity it never really did its job.

Definitely motivated to get it done, but it is a slow process given the amount of work required, and my usual snail's pace approach. 😀

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is where she is at the moment. Main nacelle bits fitted on both sides, fronts still to do, canopy mould almost ready for action. Still plenty of fill, sand, fill, prime, etc, but at least it looks something like.

The stand needs a bit of touching up. It's a bit of a carry over from the FROG GB, must get it out of my head!

48963347522_d9944e06d1_c.jpg

48963169941_aeb43d62b4_c.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Colin W said:

Looking great now. 

Don't forget to take a picture of in in the gloss black undercoat. That will be awesom. 

Colin 

Will do - it's a while off though, as I am off on Tuesday until the 17th with no modelling. 😐 

It is probable that the build will migrate seamlessly into the KUTA GB, unless the modelling pixies do a bit for me whilst I am away. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1