1971 - B.A.E. AV-8A Harrier USMC gets a shiny new toy !

Hello all... I will be going for a classic jump jet here. In 1971 the USMC started operating the AV-8A Harrier, from Wiki..

"The AV-8A entered service with the Marine Corps in 1971, replacing other aircraft in the Marines' attack squadrons. The service became interested in performing ship-borne operations with the Harrier."

Not quite sure which kit or markings i will be going with yet as this is technically a place holder. I will attempt to get the 1/72 Airfix kit,

V0UnKpL.png

but I may fall back to the 1/72 Hasegawa kit. 

RTZDoHD.png

My guess is i will be going with VMA-513 as they are the only unit listed for 1971. Though I've studied both kits. Either will work but the Airfix offering has the Decal set i need. Really hoping i can find that one. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 10

Great Choice Dennis and I would think that the Airfix offering would probably be the better kit (Decals by a long way!).

There's a Hasegawa (well Frog boxed) Harrier being currently built within the Frog Squad GB and for it's age this kit still seems to scrub up well. We will look forward to seeing this subject being built on here.

Cheers and warm welcome.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Wonky Donkey said:

The Italeri reboxing of Esci's AV-8A has a VMA-513 option sfaik, Dennis. Not done it myself but I hear good things about the Esci kit. 

W-D 

Thanks I'm just trying to figure which one is both available and in my budget ? 

Woohoo  i can finally start... here are the obligatory photo's of the Sprues. mJpz0T1.jpg

iODUrdS.jpg

7ORzppJ.jpg

KrKhOQd.jpg

Well this looks like i will be doing some scratch building on this build. The ejection seat looks more like a La-Z-boy recliner. So i will have to completely redo that. The pilot looks like hes in middle school he's so small. Good thing i rarely use pilots. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Hello everyone... well i got some work done on this today. This will need some work with fillers,

sanding, and carving things into shape. 

zJlRqjp.jpg

yLhlOFF.jpg

BWIZde4.jpg

Upon further reflection i cant do to much with the seat as not much will be seen. I modified the upper part and gave it a better shape around the headrest. Its definitely not the best kit but its got the general shape and i can work with it. I figured out I'm going to do this harrier,

aJ2C3dY.jpg

The decals i have with the kit are for 158967 so i will just flip a couple of numbers to get 158976. Then i need to paint the two tone blue rudder. These markings were from the first deployment overseas. With specific markings to represent detachment "A" and "B".

YBQwlIu.jpg

Questions, comments, or thoughts please ?

Dennis

• Like 6

Hello all... Well we have a harrier folks, i tried to add the raised section where the camera opening is. I got the position wrong so need to re-do that and move it forward. Then its just re-scribing this and on to the paint. kyzSnv8.jpg

S3cxHgj.jpg

GS0nIV7.jpg

BcEgCWt.jpg

Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 9

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! The Hasegawa kit seems to be fighting you a bit but you’re getting there.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian ... Fighting kits I'm used to. Though i do prefer kits that i don't always have to be wrestled into submission. However it'll get there in the end as you say. 

Dennis

A belated recheck on this thread from me Dennis, apologies for that, however this is looking good and I’m sure you’ll wrestle it into fine fashion. I’ve always liked USMC Harriers and am tempered to pick up an Esci kit when one presents itself one day. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody... Got to play with the new Iwata today. All i can say is WOW, i was able to spray 4 colors on 4 different models in about one hour. My older Iwata is suction feed so i need to make up way larger batches of paint. I will still use that one for spraying large areas of colors like a 1/48 Phantom or even larger kits. I was able to spray the Light aircraft grey for the lower camouflage colors. u2bfLgk.jpg

Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Morning everybody... Just finished my 2nd session on this model tonight and got the grey sprayed. 4hGV3Sf.jpg

I have a feeling that i will need to polish the canopy again as i think some of the glue spread up under the tape ? 4IALvzt.jpg

KOVT7DU.jpg

I know it looks like i missed the vortex generators on the wings. I think its just a reflection from the flash, I know i painted them. Questions, comments, and/or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Looks very good there Dennis, coming along nicely, even if it's putting up a fight.

Always enjoy seeing a Harrier, but I forget just how small they are in comparison to other modern jets, or even older machines.

What model is the new Iwata? You've gotten a very smooth finish from it.

Geoff

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

What model is the new Iwata? You've gotten a very smooth finish from it

Hello Geoff... Thank you for the compliment. Yes i was surprised when i realized the Harrier isny much larger than a WW2 fighter. I have built an AV-8B in 1/48 about a Year ago but i thought it was larger than the early British built version's. Seems we supersize everything eventually here in America. Now for your question. This is the A/B version im using, and I'm using standard Tamiya paints thinned with Tamiya thinners. 

yx9lUvH.jpg

I hope it answers your question ? 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Dennis, seems to be doing a grand job in your hands. May have to look into one...

Anyway, enough of this hovering around, back to the Harrier, hope the canopy is ok?

Geoff 

Edited by Bugle07
Fat fingers
  • Thanks 1