F-86F-40 Sabre - who operated it?

Wm Blecky

Depends if you mean new-build F-86F-40 or aircraft later converted to F-40 spec.

The latter group encompasses pretty much every nation that flew the Sabre.

The new-build aircraft (55-FY onwards) were operated by:

Japan

Spain

Taiwan

Tunisia

Pakistan

US Navy (QF-86F drone).

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Depends if you mean new-build F-86F-40 or aircraft later converted to F-40 spec.

The latter group encompasses pretty much every nation that flew the Sabre.

The new-build aircraft (55-FY onwards) were operated by:

Japan

Spain

Taiwan

Tunisia

Pakistan

US Navy (QF-86F drone).

What would the difference be, externally - extended wing tips (right?) and ???  I mistakenly picked up a Fujimi 1/72 F-86F-40 and have no real interest in doing a Japanese Sabre, so I am looking for something of more interest.  The QF-86F drone you mention piqued my interest...

On 7/29/2019 at 7:22 AM, Wm Blecky said:

What would the difference be, externally - extended wing tips (right?) and ???  I mistakenly picked up a Fujimi 1/72 F-86F-40 and have no real interest in doing a Japanese Sabre, so I am looking for something of more interest.  The QF-86F drone you mention piqued my interest...

F-86F-25 & F-30 with F-40 wings and bigger fuel tanks:

Iran and Ethiopia...in Asia Minor scheme,

Philippines...in Jungle camo:

spacer.png

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the following countries listed as users of either new F-40s or earlier aircraft refurbished to this standard:

Argentina

Bolivia

Colombia (a couple of former Spanish machines)

Ethiopia

Honduras (from Venezuela)

Iran

Iraq ? They received only 5 aircraft before further deliveries were stopped by an embargo. Guess they were F-40?

Japan (of course...)

Norway

Pakistan

Peru

Philippines

Portugal

Saudi Arabia

South Korea

Spain

Taiwan

Thailand

Tunisia

Venezuela

There are some potentially very interesting subjects for this variant, finding the relevant decals may however not be easy for all of them

• Thanks 1

@Wm Blecky be careful with nations which didn't specifically operate new-production F-86F-40s; many of the countries in this category operated Sabres which were not modified to 'F-40' config until later in service with those air forces. Even Japan operated 'pre-F-40' machines in this category. Thus, unless it's a post-55-FY machine it's not certain to be an F-40 in many cases.

The only main F-40-specific feature is the slatted, broad-chord wing with extension. There are a few modifications or features that are often seen on F-40s, but these are not definitive or unique to the model.

If you do a drone you will be safe though: all were F-40-standard, whether pre-55FY or post, and the Fujimi kit only needs a minor tweak to get the airframe config correct. I can do you a redux of the QF if you need it.

• Like 3

Argentina operated the F-86F-30 upgraded to F-40 standard with the new slatted wing. Found out that AFTER buying an F-30 from Hasegawa.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Does anyone know what exactly colours the F-86 of philippine air force have? I mean the jungle camo.

Thank you

Dark Green  approx. FS 34079 (Humbrol 116 / ModelMaster 1710)

Grass Green approx. FS 34151 (Humbrol 151 / ModelMaster 1715)  

Light Tan approx. FS 33613 ( Humbrol 148 / ModelMaster 1709)

Light Grey approx. FS 36622 (Humbrol 28 / ModelMaster1733) 

This was a locally designed camouflage, applied, as it seems,  without primer - it deteriorated quickly and heavy chipping appeared, giving these Sabres a look similar to Japanese aircraft seen during WWII - a weathering paradise :)

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

17 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

@Wm Blecky be careful with nations which didn't specifically operate new-production F-86F-40s; many of the countries in this category operated Sabres which were not modified to 'F-40' config until later in service with those air forces. Even Japan operated 'pre-F-40' machines in this category. Thus, unless it's a post-55-FY machine it's not certain to be an F-40 in many cases.

The only main F-40-specific feature is the slatted, broad-chord wing with extension. There are a few modifications or features that are often seen on F-40s, but these are not definitive or unique to the model.

If you do a drone you will be safe though: all were F-40-standard, whether pre-55FY or post, and the Fujimi kit only needs a minor tweak to get the airframe config correct. I can do you a redux of the QF if you need it.

Thanks.  I would be interested in the info on the drones if you do not mind.  

19 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Our Argie Air Force also did.

Yeh, we did...

Cheers,

Unc2

Kitsworld does a sheet that has an Argentine F-86, but they show it an F-86F-30 (or -25, can't remember now).  It's a natural metal scheme, but if it could be built as an F-40, then I'd be interested in that as well.  Do you have any other information?

6 hours ago, Jordi said:

Just about every operator of NAA-built F-86s post-Korea eventually had the wings converted to the “F-40” wings.  As far as I know none of the Canadairs ever got that wing, including the ex-British ones that went to the other NATO members.  They kept the short span hard wing with the fence their entire lives (oddly, since the slats were such a huge safety and performance improvement).

Interesting.  I read that the USAF gave Spain F-86 Sabres in exchange for air bases in Spain.  Would those Sabres have been upgraded as well?  LF Models does a could of sheets for Spanish Air Force Sabres, but as with the previously mentioned Kitsworld sheet, they are shown as F-86F-30 (or -25s).  

4 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Kitsworld does a sheet that has an Argentine F-86, but they show it an F-86F-30 (or -25, can't remember now).  It's a natural metal scheme, but if it could be built as an F-40, then I'd be interested in that as well.  Do you have any other information?

:analintruder: Noooiiicee...!!!

I'm actually looking for a sheet for my Hasegawa 1/48 F-40 kit + Cutting Edge slat set. The airframe of the Argie Sabres were actually F-30s, but as happened with the Argie Scooters, the wings are the F-40 type with the wing extension and slats. 

The F-30 fuselage didn't have the sugar scoop intakes and a couple of other features found in the F-40s, like some sort of fillet at the base of the fin root.

Could you please post a link to the Kitsworld sheet, Blecky, mate?

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 5:13 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Giorgio!

the Hondurans were Canadairs. Some Venezuelans went to Bolivia, though.

Martin

Thanks for the correction Martin ! A source I checked mentioned 4 former Venezuelan aircraft sold to Honduras, but another only had aircraft from this country going to Bolivia.

I should add that my list covers both machines originally built as F-40s and others originally built as other variants and later modified with the F-40 wing. These same countries could of course have used aircraft in the original configuration, like the F-25 and F-30, and others also had Canadair Sabres serving alongside NAA built ones.

1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: Noooiiicee...!!!

I'm actually looking for a sheet for my Hasegawa 1/48 F-40 kit + Cutting Edge slat set. The airframe of the Argie Sabres were actually F-30s, but as happened with the Argie Scooters, the wings are the F-40 type with the wing extension and slats. 

The F-30 fuselage didn't have the sugar scoop intakes and a couple of other features found in the F-40s, like some sort of fillet at the base of the fin root.

Could you please post a link to the Kitsworld sheet, Blecky, mate?

Cheers,

Unc2

The "sugar scoop" intake are generally associated with the Canadair Sabre mk.6, are you sure you're not confusing these with the F-40 ? The Sabre Mk.6 wing was slatted and of wide chord, but retained the original span.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

Thanks for the correction Martin ! A source I checked mentioned 4 former Venezuelan aircraft sold to Honduras, but another only had aircraft from this country going to Bolivia.

I should add that my list covers both machines originally built as F-40s and others originally built as other variants and later modified with the F-40 wing. These same countries could of course have used aircraft in the original configuration, like the F-25 and F-30, and others also had Canadair Sabres serving alongside NAA built ones.

The "sugar scoop" intake are generally associated with the Canadair Sabre mk.6, are you sure you're not confusing these with the F-40 ? The Sabre Mk.6 wing was slatted and of wide chord, but retained the original span.

They were F-86Ds, Giorgio ;)

3 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

They were F-86Ds, Giorgio ;)

Checked things better... I had forgotten that I had Inigo Guevara's book on Latin American fighters, and this explains the deal better. The Venezuelan Sabres were indeed Sabre Dogs, but of the K variant, Fiat built and previously with the Luftwaffe. Only two were brought to operational status.

All day fighters were Canadair Mk.4 coming from Yugoslavia.. and former RAF machines

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Not at all, Giorgio. Check the Hasegawa 1/48 F-86F-40 kit #07075 - PT115. It's got the wing extension, slatted wing. The fuselage has the sugar scoop on the starboard.

I was also looking for the Hasegawa F-30 kit in order to build an Argie Air Force Sabre, but I was told I needed the F-40 wings instead + the bigger 200-gal drop tanks.

Among the mods needed for an Argie mount I've got to delete the sugar scoop and the fillet I mentioned at the base of the fin root.

I think Hasegawa has the Canadair Mk.6 kit as a separate offer.

Cheers,

Unc2 

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Not at all, Giorgio. Check the Hasegawa 1/48 F-86F-40 kit #07075 - PT115. It's got the wing extension, slatted wing. The fuselage has the sugar scoop on the starboard.

I was also looking for the Hasegawa F-30 kit in order to build an Argie Air Force Sabre, but I was told I needed the F-40 wings instead + the bigger 200-gal drop tanks.

Among the mods needed for an Argie mount I've got to delete the sugar scoop and the fillet I mentioned at the base of the fin root.

I think Hasegawa has the Canadair Mk.6 kit as a separate offer.

Cheers,

Unc2 

The intake you mention is for TACAN cooling; no TACAN on Argentinian F-86Fs, so no intake. No TACAN blade aerials either.

Not sure who advised you about the fillet (it's a combined vent/intake panel) because it's common to all F-86Fs so don't delete!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

The intake you mention is for TACAN cooling; no TACAN on Argentinian F-86Fs, so no intake. No TACAN blade aerials either.

Yeh, and that's why I haven't ever seen a single Sabre in Argie service which had those intakes or the blade aerials.

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Not sure who advised you about the fillet (it's a combined vent/intake panel) because it's common to all F-86Fs so don't delete!

I was told by a vet Argie pilot, a good mate of my paps', who's logged nearly 1250 hours flying the Argie Air Force Sabres. You think he would be wrong about that?

1 hour ago, Hook said:

I have a Hobbycraft Sabre kit in the stash which includes Argentine markings:

Nice, Andre. Thanks. I'm after the four-tone camo markings in 1/48.

Cheers 'em all.

Unc2

2 hours ago, Hook said:

I have a Hobbycraft Sabre kit in the stash which includes Argentine markings:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobbycraft-hc1361-f-86f-25-30--169455

Cheers,

Andre

Which Hobbycraft kit?  None that I have come with Argentine markings.  As an aside, from what I've read, I do not think Argentina received any Canadair built Sabres.  It was the NAA ones (maybe I am wrong here).   The reason I mention this is that, again from my research on the net, none of the Hobbycraft Sabres can be built as NAA Sabres.  Hobbycraft modeled their kits as the Canadian built versions which had the Orenda engine and the panel lines are somewhat different.  I'll find the blog I read this in and post a link to it.

6 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

I was told by a vet Argie pilot, a good mate of my paps', who's logged nearly 1250 hours flying the Argie Air Force Sabres. You think he would be wrong about that?

Unc2

Just trying to help. We may be talking about two different things: can you highlight the bit you;re referring to? :)