1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just realised it's been a few weeks since I've done an update. No images unfortunately, but there has been progress. 

The latest additions have been railings, ladders, gun directors, AA guns, life boats & launches and numerous little pieces and paint touch ups. 

As a result the entire superstructure is about 95% complete. Only some more AA guns, a 27ft whaler and a couple of railings are left to do (rigging not included).

The pedestals have just arrived so work will begin on the hull next week. It's taken just over 10 months to get this far. Hopefully the remainder will be a touch faster.

• Like 6

So carrying on from the last post, the superstructure is almost done and the pedestals are now in place. Next will be priming and setting up the hull with the little pieces required to get it ready for painting this weekend. 

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Latest progress on the hull. Both sides are now fully painted awaiting weathering. The painting process was reasonably straight forward. Definitely happy with the colours, as they feel like the right value and not too vibrant. 

11 months into this project now, and feel now that the hull is done that I'm on track. There are also lots of smaller decking components which have been built but not painted or installed yet so I'm probably a little further along than the image suggests. 

Weathering the hull and building the 3rd turret will be next. Then will paint the remainder of he guns before the rest of the decking goes down. All the smaller stuff will be after that. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

That is a beautiful thing to behold :)

Richard and I thought those two light panels on the port bow below A-turret barbette and gun muzzles may be G45 rather than B30, although as always it's difficult to be 100% sure.

It's a truely lovely model though and I am greatly enjoying seeing this take shape.

• Like 1

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies thanks, it's nice for it to really be taking shape after spending so long building smaller components. 

It is odd that according to the paint plan you originally sent me, there is only one panel of G45 on the entire hull. One would think there'd be more of it  but the superstructure only uses it sparingly so it could just be the theme.

If those two panels you mentioned were in fact G45, then arguably the side of the front turrets would be the same colour rather than B30 since those panels are directly beneath? Maybe I'm just clutching at straws since I really can't be bothered changing it.. 😛

I think they actually are G45 on there but I'd need a zoomed in version to prove that. One of the reasons we think they're G45 is in fact because despite the vertical/flared angles of the hull along the shear line as compared to the more sky-facing turret gun house, the hull appears slightly lighter.

98b700c4-c4c6-4701-9285-5009501ec83e.jpg

Usuallyon a ship painted a uniform colour the turrets look a touch lighter than the hull. I'll get you a photo later.

I'm not sure it's one of these things which will ever be proven beyond any doubt so don't feel you're answerable to anyone about it!

• Like 1

This IWM image suggests otherwise. You can see the G45/B30/G5 spot at the far right, and no instance of a lighter G45 tone more 'upstream'.

The_Royal_Navy_during_the_Second_World_W

Edited by foeth
  • Like 3

Thanks @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and @foeth for your input. Looking at both images, I see what you're both saying. I think the more conclusive image is the bottom one as it shows more of the hull facing the direction of the light, so I'm satisfied enough that there was only the one panel of G45. At any rate if its raising discussion amongst the experts, then the average Joe will be completely unaware.

However this image does show that I have made a mistake on the superstructure. The dark blue on the starboard side wraps around the centre section just under the bridge- which I did not do. I did not have an image which showed the bow so it was completely missed. 

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the long delay. I have still been busy on the Nelson. Looking back, it appears all my images are going missing, so I'll look to rectify that in due course. 

So the last 6 weeks or so has seen the completion of the hull painting & weathering. Then the main & secondary battery were constructed, painted & weathered. Smaller parts have been painted but not yet installed and the wooden decking has gone down (yet to be weathered). Plus an expensive piece of teak has been installed as the base. 

Points to note: The construction of the main battery using the PE provided was difficult to say the least. The brass gun barrels are so heavy they made hard work for installing anything light behind it. Plus adding in these extras tended to create fit issues when putting on the top part of the turret. But of course too much manipulation broke the set up inside. From memory the first main turret I did took nearly 2 weeks. Will remember this for any future projects..

The other notable issue was the decking. Despite this only being the second time ever having done one, it was difficult to manipulate, difficult to remove the removable smaller parts and quite often started ripping the actual decking. The end result turned out ok, but I hoped for better. 

spacer.png

• Like 7