1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson

14 hours ago, AndyPG said:

Looks fantastic. What a great scale 1/200 is!

Do the PE stair treads twist so they are flat when finished?

Andy.

At the moment, I have just bent up the railings in order to get them fitted & tested first. When they are finally painted and installed correctly, they will be tweaked. Not sure a lot will need to be done to them though.

11 hours ago, ArtickWarspite said:

My boss said yesterday (I build this during my lunch break at work), that I should do as many of these as possible before I turn 50 when I won't be able to see as well anymore. 

Tell your boss to do one.  I’m 60 next week, and I’m managing well enough in 1/350, let alone 1/200.  In other news, I’m also not using a Zimmer frame and can go upstairs without calling on Mr Stannah.

Has he (& I’m guessing it is a he) ever heard of spectacles and/or Optivisors?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, ArtickWarspite said:

At the moment, I have just bent up the railings in order to get them fitted & tested first. When they are finally painted and installed correctly, they will be tweaked. Not sure a lot will need to be done to them though.

Those steps are easily fixed with a tweezer, and they will look the part when done. I would have done this before painting, to avoid getting scratch marks from the tweezer.

Lots and lots of fine work going on here!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Tell your boss to do one.  I’m 60 next week, and I’m managing well enough in 1/350, let alone 1/200.  In other news, I’m also not using a Zimmer frame and can go upstairs without calling on Mr Stannah.

Has he (& I’m guessing it is a he) ever heard of spectacles and/or Optivisors?

He prefers building model kits of cars, Pocher diecast kitsets and Billing boats instead. Larger scale stuff with no tiny PE parts. 

To be fair though some of the PE in this kit is genuinely tiny. I have left off super tiny bits here and there as they ping off the tweezers and disappear forever.. or until I've finished the build when they will show up again. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Arild Moland said:

Those steps are easily fixed with a tweezer, and they will look the part when done. I would have done this before painting, to avoid getting scratch marks from the tweezer.

Lots and lots of fine work going on here!

Thanks, I'll do that! 

Will be a while before painting begins at any rate. 

• 2 weeks later...

18 of the 62 20mm AA guns have been completed. Having done so many you get faster. When I started, each one would take 15mins to make. Now they take 8-10mins each. Good thing I am getting faster, as it would take an estimated 6 weeks of my current  daily modelling time to complete all 62. 

The main guts of the superstructure has been constructed. There are plenty of little bits & pieces like railings and ladders etc which still have to be done, but they will go on once I formulate a paint plan.

The problem which is starting to show itself is that most of the large imagery in the Pontos instructions have been made. Which leaves the smaller, non descript stuff which is harder to see & decipher and a little ambiguous in regards to using the Pontos PE or the PE that comes in the kit. But having come this far it should be something I can figure out easily enough...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 20

• 3 weeks later...

Despite not posting for a while, progress is still happening- it's just the more boring bits. About 90% of the superstructure has either been built or test fitted. Aside from the larger life boats, railings, some AA guns and little vents & things, it's all ready for priming.

The instructions on the little life rafts were very confusing, and I spent way too long trying to decipher them, and in the end I took the faster option and placed the PE boards on top of the plastic in the centre of the raft. The instructions call for you to remove the centre part but without a dremel tool and a couple of months to spare, it was an easy decision to make in the end.

spacer.png

• Like 12

After spending the better part of a week building 20mm AA guns (28 made out of 62), I decided to start of the secondary armament. Aside from needing to be more patient with drilling holes for the brass barrels and CAREFULLY reading the instructions, it's come out reasonably well.

Of the 6 turrets, there are 3 variations, and the changes in the turrets are subtle at times ie; the turret periscope is on the outer side of the turrets meaning it'll be positioned on different sides on each side of the ship. The instructions are not clear in illustrating this. Furthermore, the pre drilled holes for the periscope on the kit parts are all on one side. It means making mistakes is very easy- and likely. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...