1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson

14 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Lovely work!

You may be interested to know that CMA finalised their order and we started packing last night. There is fresh stock needed though...

Thanks Jamie,

I have not heard from them for a while now but you have just answered the email I sent them yesterday. What do you think the turnaround time will be before they're dispatched?

10 hours ago, ArtickWarspite said:

Thanks Jamie,

I have not heard from them for a while now but you have just answered the email I sent them yesterday. What do you think the turnaround time will be before they're dispatched?

I had been asking for a forecast since April or May I think to have stock ready but this is the first I've seen what's required. In the interests of not misleading, there's so much needed to be made fresh that it could be another 8 weeks maybe before we have everything. 😕

For those following in my footsteps, just take note with the funnel interior that it is very easy to get he funnel posts & searchlight platforms (slit on one end of the funnel) the wrong way around. Make sure the square posts (and their respective marks at the bottom) are opposite to the searchlight platform. I got mine around the wrong way but luckily noticed before it went much further so was able to correct it. The instructions are a little ambiguous with that part..

spacer.png

72755322_2055557567877870_66822624744916

• Like 9

11 hours ago, ArtickWarspite said:

Thanks @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, I'll attempt to make do until everything is ready. At this stage it's hard to say how long it'll be exactly before painting is ready so start at any rate..

With the order you've received, I hope there was plenty of G5, B15, B30 & B45 in there! 

Hi,

There is quite a lot, but after all the badgering about them, there is hardly any uptake for the 125ml tins of RN colours which is surprising as they have a big radio control contingent in Australia and it's vastly cheaper per unit volume to get it in the big tins :) Infact there's only an anti-fouling red or two asked for from memory 🤨

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Despite not posting much  of late, much has been happening, but it hasn't been photo worthy as such. 

The funnel has gone about as far as it can without paint, so will leave it in pieces until then. 

74682771_2082993848467575_48427208304943

So I'm now working on the superstructure. First up was this replacement part- what a difference!

74664670_2082993795134247_26483366507231

75356796_2082993901800903_66191894710006

There's only so much I can do on these until the paint arrives, so they won't be fully put together or have small breakable parts added until a later date. But these images give an idea of the additional detail that comes with the Pontos kit. 

Having worked with this aftermarket stuff for the last couple of months on this build, it is becoming easier to use. It doesn't feel like I'm making a dent in the amount of brass that needs to be put into this kit. 

• Like 11

Gun directors and that top guard thing (I have no idea what it's called) have been added. It seems to all sit reasonably well in place considering almost nothing is glued in place.

The photo etch is becoming easier to work with now that I have been practicing. Kind of helps when each piece is specifically designed for the kit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ArtickWarspite said:

and that top guard thing (I have no idea what it's called)

Gidday Artick, if you're referring to that brass wrapped around the front face of the upper level you've shown in the photos above I think it is a wind deflector. The brass work you've done looks very good, particularly the ladders I think. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 5:11 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Artick, if you're referring to that brass wrapped around the front face of the upper level you've shown in the photos above I think it is a wind deflector. The brass work you've done looks very good, particularly the ladders I think. Regards, Jeff.

Ah thank you, yes that seems to make sense!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 9:55 PM, kev67 said:

Wow I bet that lot cost a fortune 

To put the cost into context, the kit, aftermarket & paint and other tools & materials would push the price of this up over the 1000 mark (NZD). While that looks pretty steep price wise, when you break it down to how long this project will last for (I'm hoping about 18 months), then that cost probably works out the same if you were buying and building a new kit each month - 6 weeks. The length of time this will take does balance out cost wise. 

Some more progress on the radars and gun directors..

Admittedly the instructions are not very good for this part, but I've done enough of this so far to get through it without much trouble. 

Remember none of this (except where it has to be) is glued down. Each component will be removed & painted separately...eventually.

spacer.png

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Courageous said:

Your eyes will be 'shot to bits' by the end of this build. They do look pretty neat though.

Stuart

My boss said yesterday (I build this during my lunch break at work), that I should do as many of these as possible before I turn 50 when I won't be able to see as well anymore. 

• Like 2