1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson

Apologies in advance for another 1/200 build, but this is the largest & most expensive build I've ever attempted, so it warrants documentation.

I've been wanting this kit ever since it was announced, and the addition of a full aftermarket kit that could be purchased with all added extras as one unit was ultimately very appealing. 

Over the last couple of years, I've built three ancient 1/600 Airfix kits for a friend of mine, who decided to buy this kit for me as a thank you. Suffice to say I was over the moon!

At this point in time, I'm still working on acquiring the right paints for this kit in its 1944 pre refit camouflage scheme. But with the amount of PE involved, it could be a while before the airbrush comes out at any rate.

So without further ado, let's do this...

spacer.png

68348377_1909770212456607_48146794528752

While waiting for the Pontos set to arrive, I did what I could in the meantime which included adding the bulkheads and sanding smooth the plugs on the bottom of the hull.

67541161_1909770195789942_77184629900847

I downloaded a set of Pontos instructions and set about removing the plastic parts as per the instructions. It was way easier than expected. 

68365058_1909770309123264_88476726889199

That's all for now, More updates soon! Thanks for looking!

• Like 15

So first up it was decided to tackle the 8 barreled pom poms. It says to make x6 of these so we'll see how many can be built in one go before I become unhinged. These are little kits within kits which require reasonable sections being cut off the kit floor, and the plastic barrels cut off the kit parts and a whole lot of PE & brass to be added in. Amazing detail though!

Not too sure what to think about the brass ammunition boxes as they are really hard to get aligned properly, whereas the kit ammo boxes look pretty good too. Haven't decided which one to go with yet.

67804369_1909900122443616_43323495746528

• Like 16

Always liked the HMS Nelson will look forward to your progress

Thought you might like to see this picture of her, this is from a very old book I have

HHjSnF.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After initially being rather intimidated by the level of small detail in the pom poms, I thought that building one would be a good way to understand how it all goes together first before starting a mini production line and doing the rest in sequence. Certainly glad I did as this one mount has pushed my below par PE skills to the limit, but it has revealed the way to go moving forward. 

Hope to get this mount completed in the next day or so.

spacer.png

• Like 21

Fab pom pom.  These 1/200 monsters tempt me bigly, but given the time 1/350 builds take me the universe would probably end before I got one finished...

[Mind you, if anyone brings out an RN carrier I might not be entirely responsible for my actions...] 

• Like 3

Progress is slow, but steady. The brass barrels for the pom poms are all done, and the ammo boxes are being built up. (24 total). So far I have made about 16 of these, but I'm now having doubts as to whether to use the PE boxes or stick with the kit ones as they are perfectly acceptable in both appearance & fit on the PE racks.

The main problem will be when it comes time to slide the ammo boxes into the racks on the side of the mounts. My inexperience with PE means that the boxes are not quite perfect- which is starting to create some fit issues as there is very little room for movement. However, the kit boxes fit quite nicely.

What to do....

67907400_1933921033374858_22098553821158

• Like 11

Easy for me to say I know, since I don't have to do it (nor could, truth be told) but I think you should persevere with the brass ammo boxes, having already built up one pom-pom with them, if you don't there is the risk that every time you look at the completed model you might wish you had done it for the others...

But like I say, I'm not the one who has to do it :D 

They do look rather lovely by the way, good work :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArtickWarspite said:

My inexperience with PE means that the boxes are not quite perfect- which is starting to create some fit issues as there is very little room for movement. However, the kit boxes fit quite nicely.

I think you've answered your own question. If you foresee fit problems, I'd go with the kit boxes 'cos as you say, they are 'perfectly acceptable'.

Stuart

• Like 4

Thanks @Stew Dapple and @Courageous, I definitely see both your points on this. However they're both sides of my conundrum 😛

I think the best way is to try and test fit the racks I have made already, and if the they don't quite look right then I'll swap them out for the kit ones since those ones do fit.

I can be happy looking at the completed model and not feel guilty about not using the the PE boxes knowing an attempt to do so was made.

Thanks guys!

Looking ahead on the other guns & small bits that require large amounts of PE, this small issue is starting to feel like the tip of the iceberg...

• Like 4

More progress made with the addition of the side steps & front plates. On the first pom pom build, I added the railings before adding the guns in as per the instructions. I won't do that this time as it became too hard working around the railing so they'll be done later. 

Next the brass cylinders on the front will be added, then the frame work for the gun cradles.  

In regards to the ammo boxes, I have decided to go with the plastic ones. They will be fine as the detail is good & I can see them looking good painted up. . Looking through the forums here, I'm not the only one who has had issues with these ammo boxes. 

Apologies for the poor photo- I was in a rush.

spacer.png

• Like 9

On 8/14/2019 at 4:43 AM, ArtickWarspite said:

Progress is slow, but steady. The brass barrels for the pom poms are all done, and the ammo boxes are being built up. (24 total). So far I have made about 16 of these, but I'm now having doubts as to whether to use the PE boxes or stick with the kit ones as they are perfectly acceptable in both appearance & fit on the PE racks.

The main problem will be when it comes time to slide the ammo boxes into the racks on the side of the mounts. My inexperience with PE means that the boxes are not quite perfect- which is starting to create some fit issues as there is very little room for movement. However, the kit boxes fit quite nicely.

What to do....

67907400_1933921033374858_22098553821158

Might become quite a serious problem once you get some paint on them?

I'm a lazy sod, I always go for the easiest option.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ripaman said:

Can you unglue & re bend the ammo boxes so that they will fit or can you just file a small area so that they will fit :hmmm:

Regards

Richard

That is something I would usually do, however if I start bending the PE in the opposite direction, it just snaps. 

The PE ammo boxes really do need to be made perfectly- otherwise they won't fit, and even if by some miracle they do fit, they don't tend to line up with the guns properly.