This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Photon

Ian McQue Inspired Flying Rig

Posted (edited)

So my while Nostromo Airlock model continues to [slowly] progress, I needed a break from the exactness that that model seems to be demanding from me. I've been wanting to do something in the style of Ian McQue for a while and when I saw this sketch, one thing lead to another...

spacer.png

So against all better judgement, I now have two works in progress. I think the detailing of this one will be a lot looser and more spontaneous compared to

the airlock, which I feel much more pressure to keep as screen accurate as I can.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Armor transplant

spacer.png

spacer.png

This all came together pretty quickly over a couple of afternoons. I'm really looking forward to hanging some panels and pipes on this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

4-40 threaded insert on bottom should give me some options later to support the model for display. (something I don't usually think about until the end when it's too late )

spacer.png

I gave this Fujimi driver figure an arsendectemy so he'd fit in his seat. At 1:24 scale he's almost too big. My only other option (to hand) is a 

1:32 Anakin figure from the Pod Racer kit, which seems way too small. Once I've decided on the pilot, I'll have a go at building the cab.

spacer.png

I don't have a lot of painting experience, so I'm really looking forward to the opportunity for trying some rust and chipping effects

thanks for looking in

Peter

Edited by Photon

Very nice. You're scratching looks top-notch, with some real nice use of the transplanted armor.

Looks like a sci-fi version of the street sweeper I see every morning.

Watching with interest.

Looks good.

interesting interpretation of a Master artist...

That Ian McQue is a very naughty man. All that inspiration. Tsk!

This stuff can be very addictive. You'll need bigger spares boxes. You've made a very nice start.

Rust - white primer, then stipple on Tamiya clear orange and shades of brown.

Practice is a good thing. (See the exhaust on my hovertank).

Keep them coming,

Pete

Thanks everyone. I think this ones going to be really fun.

Pete-thanks for the rust tip. Your Hovertank looks ace!  I’ve been interested in M.a.K for a while, but a bit leery about falling down that rabbit hole.

3 hours ago, Photon said:

but a bit leery about falling down that rabbit hole.

Just dangle the odd toe in there for a start. The secret is to take disparate parts from various scales/types of model and make it look like it was meant to be.

It never fails to amaze me how some of them dovetail together so well. Buy up lots of 'part or scrap kits'.  You are off to a good start with the McQue build. 

I plan what I'm going to do next as I fall asleep or as I drive around. Hopefully not at the same time though.

Mostly, just have fun. Anyone can follow instructions. And thanks for the nice comments.

Cheers, Pete

Very nice work here.I am sure Ian would be proud of you.
Q. Where did that beautiful sketch come from? Is it Ian's?

Thanks.

Yes, that sketch is Ian's. I believe it's from his book, "Robots, Space Dudes, Flying Ships, Etc."