Ian McQue Inspired Flying Rig

So my while Nostromo Airlock model continues to [slowly] progress, I needed a break from the exactness that that model seems to be demanding from me. I've been wanting to do something in the style of Ian McQue for a while and when I saw this sketch, one thing lead to another...

spacer.png

So against all better judgement, I now have two works in progress. I think the detailing of this one will be a lot looser and more spontaneous compared to

the airlock, which I feel much more pressure to keep as screen accurate as I can.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Armor transplant

spacer.png

spacer.png

This all came together pretty quickly over a couple of afternoons. I'm really looking forward to hanging some panels and pipes on this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

4-40 threaded insert on bottom should give me some options later to support the model for display. (something I don't usually think about until the end when it's too late )

spacer.png

I gave this Fujimi driver figure an arsendectemy so he'd fit in his seat. At 1:24 scale he's almost too big. My only other option (to hand) is a 

1:32 Anakin figure from the Pod Racer kit, which seems way too small. Once I've decided on the pilot, I'll have a go at building the cab.

spacer.png

I don't have a lot of painting experience, so I'm really looking forward to the opportunity for trying some rust and chipping effects

thanks for looking in

Peter

Edited by Photon
  • Like 20

• Photon changed the title to Ian McQue Inspired Flying Rig

That Ian McQue is a very naughty man. All that inspiration. Tsk!

This stuff can be very addictive. You'll need bigger spares boxes. You've made a very nice start.

Rust - white primer, then stipple on Tamiya clear orange and shades of brown.

Practice is a good thing. (See the exhaust on my hovertank).

Keep them coming,

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I think this ones going to be really fun.

Pete-thanks for the rust tip. Your Hovertank looks ace!  I’ve been interested in M.a.K for a while, but a bit leery about falling down that rabbit hole.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Photon said:

but a bit leery about falling down that rabbit hole.

Just dangle the odd toe in there for a start. The secret is to take disparate parts from various scales/types of model and make it look like it was meant to be.

It never fails to amaze me how some of them dovetail together so well. Buy up lots of 'part or scrap kits'.  You are off to a good start with the McQue build. 

I plan what I'm going to do next as I fall asleep or as I drive around. Hopefully not at the same time though.

Mostly, just have fun. Anyone can follow instructions. And thanks for the nice comments.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the nice comments.

I've recently made some progress on this, so here's a quick update...

I finally found a suitable figure for the pilot. The 1/24 Fujimi figure was way too big. This resin figure is 1:35 and looks much more in scale.

So yeah, the vehicle is now officially 1:35 scale. I think with the right paint job, he can be made to look a bit more 'futuristic'.

spacer.png

With that sorted, I added some panels to the sides, added a few greebles on top and started to fill out the front.

spacer.png

spacer.png

All along I had been planning to scratch-build the cab, but as time has worn on, that started to look less and less attractive.

Now that I had settled on 1:35 as a scale, I decided to see what I could find for a truck kit to transplant. I was at the local stationary shop, (which has a weird assortment of model kits) and this Italeri M-977 Hemtt jumped out at me.  Without knowing how it would work out, I threw caution to the wind and here it is:

spacer.png

It's a bit of a departure from the original sketch. I think the cab is sitting too high. I think it needs to move down a bit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for stopping by.

Edited by Photon
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some time this week, so here's a few updates...

The bottom half has been built up. I also did some plastic surgery on the front end and lowered the placement of the cab. I really didn't like how high it was sitting before.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The cab is just held together with tape at the moment, so I can paint the interior. 

Here I'm starting to plan out engine compartment details. Everything is just temporarily stuck in place with some double-sided tape.  I've also started to add some Meng brand bolt heads.

spacer.png 

I've built the engine up separately, so it can be more easily painted. The white fairing was made from some 1" diameter styrene rod. The engine itself is from the AMT Pod Racer kit. The rest of the engine details were bottom of the barrel kit parts, since they would be hidden in the shadows for the most part.

spacer.png

after a dusting of primer...

spacer.png

in situ...

spacer.png

Thanks for any interest

Peter

Edited by Photon
  • Like 14

The cab fits really well, I love that it's slightly wider than the hull. Although it does scream "HEMTT" - which is cool if the flyer is built from scrap including said truck, but might need a bit of disguising otherwise?

I really like the doors you've fitted (tan part) over the engine, you could imagine some poor bugger having to climb down from the inside to replace a number eight Gripley :)

Will

• Like 2

Thanks, guys.

yeah, Will, it’s very obviously a HEMTT cab. I’m not sure I can disguise it without loosing the very things about it that appealed to me in the first place. Hopefully, once painted, it won’t scream HEMTT quite as loudly.

Edited by Photon

On 10/8/2019 at 12:08 AM, Photon said:

I’m not sure I can disguise it without loosing the very things about it that appealed to me in the first place

I'd lose the head & sidelights and wipers. Fill in that odd shaped bit at the front of the roof which will cover the top of the windows a bit.

The hole under the cab, a big radiator hanging down with pipework (sprue) going down into the lower part of the hull.

Possibly also reshape the bottom of the doors? rescribe across above the angled bit at the bottom, make that a separate panel.

Basically disguise the fact that it's from a 1/35th road going vehicle.

Just a couple of ideas, don't mind me, it's time for my nap anyway. 😴

Pete

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't had time to model much lately, just an hour here and there. I finally got enough done to warrant sharing with you guys. There were also a few mishaps, so read on....

I realized that I had to paint the driver/pilot and detail the interior & get it sealed up before I could attach it to the rest of the model (something I've been avoiding). I did a quickie, good-enough paint job on the figure and got it closed up. I think the orange helps make him look less Modern Armour and more Guy From The Future.

spacer.png

I got the windscreen and side windows glued in and taped up when the first mishap happ'd.

spacer.png

The driver's side window came unglued during masking and fell into the sealed cabin. I was able to fish it out after much effort, but since everything is glued tight, there's no fixing it. Oh well. At least I was able to get it out.

spacer.png

Next up I started to add some details. I picked through my cache and laid out some good candidates.

spacer.png

After much messing about I came up with this for the back panel. I hit it with some grey primer to see how cohesive it was. I plan to add a few more bits and lots of dangling hoses.

spacer.png

For some reason it kept reminding me of this...

spacer.png

Anyway, here it is in place

spacer.png

I also started to add some small gubbins to the sides. I cut a few square holes and fit some square evergreen tubes. Not sure what they're supposed to be, but there were some details in the original drawing that were suggestive of these. I think they will look cool with some rusty stains running from them. I also started to scribe some flame cut marks on the edges of the “steel” plates that make up the bottom of the ship. I also plan to try adding a rolled steel texture and some epoxy putty welds. Basically some armor modeling tricks that I’ve been wanting to try and think will suit this subject well.

spacer.png

At some point during all this, I noticed that the pot of Tamiya cement that I had just bought was on it's side. When I went to right it, I realized the cap must have been loose and the entire contents had spilled all over the bench, but because my house keeping is poor I didn't immediately notice. By some miracle none got on the myriad of semi-precious greebles scattered over the work surface, but my shop smells minging.

Edited by Photon
  • Like 9

Shame about the glue. On the other hand, the fumes will keep you modelling through the night!

The drivers window, you should be able to cut it in two. Use bluetac and a cocktail stick or a piece of sprue to make a handle to fit the pre-glued quarterlight piece

through it's hole at an angle. Put the quarterlight into it's position and hang the cab with that side down until the glue has dried. then repeat with the big window. 

I do like that rear panel, great greeblies.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like ti but that cab really sticks out to me.

Looks like it is too late to trim it down to fit the same size as the current sides.  

Oh well, your model your build though I might try something similar in 72nd scale per your inspiration.