Javelin Colours

shunter

Gents,

Just completing my first wingy thing for  very long time - the Airfix 1/48 Javelin, which I must say is tempting me back to aircraft modelling after a long time with tanks and trains!.

I have a question about the colour scheme for XH 903, 33 Sqn. from Middleton St George. l apologies if it seems odd, I've searched on here but not found an answer. I have the impression that the underside of the aircraft was painted silver, as opposed to bare metal. I'm told that good old Humbrol no.11 is OK for this. If this is the case, what about the interior surfaces of the wheel wells, doors, and brakes. Would they be left as bare metal, or also be painted - in silver or something else?

Any information/opinions gratefully received.

Many thanks 

Rob

Silver painted undersides are correct. IMHO Humbrol 11 is too shiny to represent this kind of finish, I'd probably add a semigloss coat on top of this or use a different paint. Try a search for "high speed silver" on this forum, there have been several threads covering how to best represent the silver paint used on RAF types.

IIRC wheel wells were also painted in silver

I recall sheltering from the rain underneath a Javelin at a Middleton-St-George air display - those were the days, eh?  My head was inside the wheel well, and I recall they were a dull greyish metal colour, almost certainly a somewhat aged Aluminium of some kind.  They would certainly not have been left as bare metal, this just wouldn't survive the English climate!

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

Javelin FAW.9 wheel wells, doors and landing gear were all painted with High Speed Silver. I used Humbrol 191 mixed with a small amount of Hu 56 and Testors "Aluminium Plate". As Giorgio said Humbrol 11 (at least the good old one) is too shiny. As Graham explained there is always "dirt" in the landing gear bays. No mud patches but dust from the runway and especially from the brakes.

Here is one of mine, "Echo" of No 60 Squadron:

spacer.png

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 4

Giorgio, Graham, Antti,

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I was hoping to use a rattlecan of Humbrol 11, but it seems I will have to break out the elderly airbrush I was given years ago!

Graham, I went to school in Stockton (Grangefield Grammar), and have very strong memories of Javelins, Hunters and Lightnings flying over on their ways in and out of Middleton St George, as well as the displays there, back in the days when you could actually get in amongst the aircraft on the ground. Those were indeed the days.

I think I might well be picking up an Airfix Hunter at the Avon IPMS show this coming weekend....

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

I think there is a recommended Halfords rattle can for the underside silver finish, hopefully someone else will know which one.

I use a heady mix of Humbrols 11 and 56 mixed 60/40 with a satin Kleer over coat, brush painted.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Alclad offers High Speed Aluminum as well, item #ALC125. I haven't used it yet, though.

Cheers,

Bill

I have, and it's more like a bare metal than a painted finish.  Way too shiny!

2 hours ago, Devilfish said:

I have, and it's more like a bare metal than a painted finish.  Way too shiny!

Ah, good to know. I've always used Floquil "Old Silver" with an overcoat of Floquil "Flat" finish for HSS (the result is an egg shell sheen). I liked the way it looked, as Old Silver has no noticeable grain to it. Unfortunately, Testors has decided that none of the Floquil paints deserve to be manufactured anymore, and my supply will run out eventually. So I'm always on the lookout for something to replace it with. Has anyone tried Colourcoats ACLW27 Silbergrau? This is a silver-gray intended for slightly weathered Norm 76 schemes. Maybe useful for faded HSS?

Cheers,

Bill

It is interesting that HSS became rather dull and lost it's metallic sheen in Europe. Look at the photos of EE Canberras for example. The colour withstood the conditions better at Far East. One would think that quite the opposite was true! That's why I added Testors "Aluminium Plate" to Humbrol 191 to get a better look for my Javelin.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2

Humbrol 11 in my recent experience is not what it was & seems virtually impossible to differentiate between this & their 56.  I use Xtracolour High Speed Silver for all my RAF subjects - does what it says on the tin!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, shunter said:

Wow, many thanks, chaps, for all these options and pics. I thought I was asking a simple question...….

There's no such thing as a "simple question" about paint on here, lol  Just look up the thread about Azure Blue.....

A frind told me that one of the Citadel paints (Runefang Silver IIRC) dries to a finish very similar to how HSS dulls down to, but I've not tried it myself...

• Like 1