Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz 251/1 Halftrack

Really old build from 3 years ago, never bothered painting it but now I'm getting into building, I'm using it as practice. 

Got to highlight, paint the eyes and brows, clearcoat and pinwash face and weather the uniforms. I think. Still new to this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Need to paint the tools, then gloss coat (with pledge floor wax) , then put decals, then seal in decals with pledge again, then mist coat with buff, then chipping, then pinwash, then streaking, then clear matt coat finish and finally dusting, in that order. I think. Again, pretty new at this, if the order is wrong or I'm forgetting a step, let me know, thanks!

spacer.png

Got to remember to clean up the exhaust. Thinking of chipping with foam using dark yellow, so that there is still flakes of the original paint on it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Directions for interior was not given in the Tamiya instructions, and from what I can tell, the interior was painted the same base color as the outside to keep it hidden from air recon. Would have been nice to paint the interior seats, dash steering wheel and stuff, but now that it's all sealed up, I can't get to it. Not sure how an experienced builder would paint the interior beforehand, but keep it protected from the rest of the paint job.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi
  • Like 3

Hi there

Best way is to complete the interior prior to putting the upper and lower hull together. Once you've done that, a piece of foam just slightly bigger. Then you can airbrush the exterior. You can always just gently mask off the opening.

Redcoat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I actually bought a second tamiya hanomag kit, but I also bought a resin and PE detail conversion kit as well, along with a tamiya 4-figures kit for halftrack crew (driver, radio, gunner and spotter.) I'm hoping to use what I learn here to a better second attempt.

Anytime mate........here is an example of painting prior to final construction. It was my first open topped vehicle so took my time.

If I remember, I did all the parts separate, even right up until the weathering stage. I airbrushed the camo' while the side wall's etc were still loose. Once all the chipping was done, then tacked it all together, once the interior was fully finished. Always ask, I'm sure the rest of the team and myself will help you at anytime with a question or a tip.

Cheers

Redcoat

• Thanks 1

IMG_20190802_181623287_HDR_zpskkkf7fmh.j

Made this little pak 36 for the 251/1 to tow. Not sure what the camo pattern was for these in 1944-45. Looked up on the internet and I saw grey, but not much else.

IMG_20190801_231438670_HDR_zpsmfawekco.j

glossed all the figures and the halftrack with the new formula pledge floor wax. Tried to remember to coat thin, 3 coats, about 15 minutes between coats. Now the decals.

• Like 1

latest?cb=20120703022508

You see those two "prongs" right behind the headlights? the ones with the small metal ball at the end of them? Yeah, those broke off the Tamiya 251/1 a LONG time ago. They were unbelievably fragile but still need to be replaced.

IMG_20190802_203850724_zpsh94rfhpz.jpg

So I made these out of solder. Problem is trying to get the little "stem" that attaches the stem to the fender. I'll also have to replicate the side mirror. I think I will melt some of that solder and then just apply a dollop to the ceramic tile I have for PE. Should cool down into a droplet with one side flattened touching the ceramic. Then I can just super glue them together and be done with that.

• Like 1

Applied decals on halftrack and helmets. Of course, I lost one crest meant for the helmet, so not 100% smooth sailing.

IMG_20190803_043637393_HDR_zpsenfdnbwq.j

Also painted the wooden handles on tools using MM Wood enamel paint.

IMG_20190803_043648340_HDR_zpsbikudf5o.jIMG_20190803_043714395_HDR_zpsgg8wl7y9.j

IMG_20190803_043732796_HDR_zpsqki8zyrf.j

Wish the expression on these soldiers would look a little less bored.

IMG_20190803_043802955_HDR_zpsko9fe9c7.j

IMG_20190803_043912811_HDR_zpswhtxrfst.j

• Like 1

You have made a nice job on a really old kit. I do like a 251, even this kit.

The interior on this version would ahvge most likely been Pz Grey. I paint and detail the insides of my 251's and then once the top is on i stuff it full of tissue.

Those 'prongs' behind the headlights are width indicators.

• Thanks 1

"Bored" facial expressions. Well worn 1975 release injection moulding at 1975 moulding reflected prices, adjusted for inflation. Depending upon the sculptor, even back then with Tamiya figure poses, some were really so good they'd stand up OK today, whereas others ranged from illustrative mediocrity to good for the kids' toybox only. The troop inclusions with the Hanomag fit in between the last two categories unfortunately.

Solution is out there as always, at a price. Buy resin heads, or complete figures. The are now some superb resin figures available at much more affordable prices than Alpine miniatures if you know where to shop. Similarly, some manufacturers do stunning injected moulded figures with facial features now recognisable as historical individuals illustrative of what is possible. e.g. Modelkasten's 1/48 New Guinea Japanese pilots. They do produce a superb 1:35 Japanese tank crew/commander. Unfortunately, TMK Modelkasten don't yet do any German figurines.

Question for you re Tamiya's Pak 36 kit. Were hemet decals included with your kit? I 

• Thanks 1

Odd isn't it?! I went and looked at the painting and detailing reverse box art, and there are none illustrated indicative confirming they aren't supplied in this current boxing if they ever were previously. Could understand if it was a Pak 40 model crew later in the war after national insignia were removed from helmets for operational reasons. Although Pak 36s were certainly still around late war when everything was pressed into service, other than extant surviving examples, the gun like the Ausf C (?) doors of Tamiya's Sd.Kfz. 251/1 'Hanomag' are early period and so this model and its crew provided would more frequently be modelled early war than not. I wonder if Zvezda do in their more recent Pak 36 kit? Edit: PS. Just DL and looked at the Zvezda kit instructions. Sprue legend only shows the three kit sprues, No decals, so surmising not. 

Edited by Bigglesof266
PS

• 2 weeks later...

Drybrushed, pinwashed, dot oil streaking on the front, engine deck, sides and rear, dusted a bit heavily and lastly chipped a little bit with sponge and brush. Also, used a quad 20mm for the ht to pull as this kit didn't come with any crew, as the pak 36 did come with crew that I now want to paint and make to man the gun.

I think a few oil stains before a last protective spray of dullcote will finish up the infantry and ht itself. And protect the models from any greasy fingerprints from appearing due to the dust on the model.

I also have some storage and equipment that I want to put on and in the halftrack. Also thinking of making a milliput copy of a halftrack driver and radio op from the dragon 6193 halftrack crewmen. Just so the front seats are not so oddly empty, making it look like a self-driving ht.

IMG_20190818_005913372_HDR_zps1lykn9dl.j

IMG_20190818_005922410_HDR_zpsghrorvct.j

Edited by WelshZeCorgi
  • Like 4