1973 MiG-21 ‘Project Dark Gene’ *completed*

Dansk

On 27/10/2019 at 12:54, Dansk said:

Just went to a model show in sweden and saw this by coincidence - a really weathered old retired aircraft beautifully done - the effect is great - i think a touch of this could look great used in moderation on an my in-service aircraft.

48966763628_83f7425dd2_b.jpg

Small world... I was there at the competition demobuilding (IPMS Göteborg) and I judged the class this Su-7 was part of (1/48 Jet) :)

My last GB catch-up for that day and WOW!!!.. thats looking really lovely Paul! The metallic weathering effect has turned out well and like most things metallic, probably hard to catch properly in photographs. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

And now with some oils too.

i’ve definately over-weathered this thing from the start but i’ll take it through to its conclusion now.

i learnt a lot on this (about how not to do things mostly 🙃) that i’ll take onto the mustang GB in december

49030673246_0e6ac869c4_h.jpg

• Like 6

You may think it's overdone Paul, however I think it looks lovely. Give it a few weeks and your eyes will settle and accept a great finish. Once you've unmasked the canopy and applied the gear and weapons it will be a standout.  

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind words and support Dave. Thats really good of you.👍🙏

the cockpits unmasked now and i’m about to install the gear.

i added a few brake lines and things to spice them up a touch.

and weathered them in accordance with the rest of the aircraft.

49051289066_ae4d6c402a_b.jpg

nearly there, on the final bits now

still think i went too far weathering but now i know for next time. 👍

49051289116_363eae3c7f_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 5

You know, you could always overspray a thinned coat of silver across the airframe to tone down what you think is overdone weathering, best to mask over the decals over of course! Then again, just let it be and move on. I love it and I’m sure it will grow on you too. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave. Not a bad idea but I’m kinda Itching to start on something new now as you may have suspected so I’ll live with the finish and say it just got seriously weathered and abused in its 14 years of service :)

Edited by Dansk

30 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s looking brilliant Paul, lovely photography to capture a brilliant build. It’s Model Magazine quality in my books! 

Cheers.. Dave

Oh dave thats super nice feedback, but i think youre being a bit kind also however you just made my day! 🙏😊

• Like 1

Thanks so much cliff, very kind!

She’s all done and dusted now and in the gallery. Hurray.

49064529561_749e0493ba_h.jpg

i forgot to show some details along the way like the orange airbrake.

49064742592_9df2c85c1c_h.jpg

but anyway.

i think all the detail work on the cockpit is jjuuustt visible (...with a microscope) 😁

49064774816_936f49ae2c_h.jpg

thanks for keeping me going everyone 👍

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

Fantastic work... desperately in need of a plane wash 😉

The guy responsible for keeping this aircrafts glasswork clean did one hell of a good job, but his comrades responsible for the rest, yeah, not so good :)

• Haha 1

Well done Paul. An excellent contribution to this GB from start to finish. This Mig-21 really have turned out wonderfully well, so thanks for taking part and displaying your great modelling skills on here. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well done Paul. An excellent contribution to this GB from start to finish. This Mig-21 really have turned out wonderfully well, so thanks for taking part and displaying your great modelling skills on here. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks a lot Dave, that’s really nice of you, I really enoyed it.

and Thank you for a great hosting job you made the whole thing fun to be a part of. 👍🙏

are you hosting again in 2020?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dansk said:

... are you hosting again in 2020?

At this stage no, however I'll hopefully be fairly active when the Classic Heller GB rolls around next October. 

Cheers and thanks for the kind words as well.. Dave 

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Craig.👍 Cheers

I’m happy about the end result now too - its kinda’ grown on me even though it’s so heavily done. I just see all the errors with my own builds though.

Not heard from serge recently but let us both hope he is out there semi-satisfied with the end product too 👍😊

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

I think that looks stunning...and the weathering...to my eye...is heavy yes, but beautifully done. Nice one.

I had a backup to my Jag if I finished it in time, a CF104 Starfighter....after looking at this I'm glad I haven't got the time 😆

Edited by Worms
addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1