1973 MiG-21 ‘Project Dark Gene’ *completed*

Dansk

On 8/19/2019 at 6:45 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Paul, those internal bits look fantastic and I love the very effective weathering techniques, that's awesome stuff. 

Glad you decided to purchase Eduard's Tempest set and yes, I have read the book. I was so tempted to crack one open and make a start, however really need to finish off a number of started and stalled GB projects.  If you love Mustangs, then hopefully Eduard will treat us with another Royal Class boxing of that great new kit too! 

Cheers and lovely progress... Dave  

Thanks Dave, I have the same situation; Must finish what i’ve started before opening a fresh project ☺️

Recently I’ve mixed a green for the nosecone (and other parts that use this colour).
Extremely difficult to photograph honestly but the colour is kind of what i’ve seen on a lot of non-museum weathered aircraft and similar to serges ref but the colours all differ wildly with so many factors effecting colour in a shot and aircraft weathering and environment. So at the end of the day i think its open to personal choice.

48613841457_609ab9f9e9_c.jpg

48613337503_30158cc6f0_c.jpg

The cockpit is all sorted now, the seat i’ll install later.

48613690021_2c8ddb49db_h.jpg

48613841472_ec2b5ba7c5_b.jpg

I’ve done the lion’s share of work on the engines so once the engine nozzle ring and actuators are added the engine can go in and the fuselage buttoned up.

48613841312_9de145dfe5_b.jpg
48613337643_66d5c4c1c8_k.jpg

The fit looked very promising when dry fitted.

• Like 10

Slow but steady progress 👍

The nozzle is all sorted... 

48626430841_01c5031901_k.jpg

And it’s in place... (not that much can be seen)

48626080858_c3d69cf2d3_h.jpg

And the fuselage is sewn up...
This kits fit was really nice ☺️

48626080968_c1dff15292_h.jpg

I think the forward gear bay with the extra detailing actually works ok now i see it in place.

48626576022_f9b7fdbefa_h.jpg

I just noticed the PE on the IP has slipped down 🙄 so i need to rectify that.
All of the cockpit now has a matt coat.

48626080883_b3d3347066_h.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks a lot fellas thats really kind.

I have been sanding and filling and a touch of rescribing. This bit I don’t like i’m really not good at it but after a lot of fettling its starting to come together. I’m quite happy with this ☺️ its starting to get there.

48643984996_47fa1d2950_h.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

Thanks chaps!

The ejection seat is where it should be now so mini-me dave can feel at home.

48707375068_9d654e2b55_b.jpg

Reference shots show a lot of wiring and such-like up front on mig-21’s, heres a few of one...

48707879607_3b6e793c2f_b.jpg

so i’ve been working on busying that area up, the kit felt very empty there and its pretty visible through the glazing.

48707879752_3f8fb85f1e_b.jpg

48707711756_419f02c18d_b.jpg

48707879777_e942c2bf5e_b.jpg

It’s still kinda rough and work-in-progress right now and i’m not too concerned if it’s the correct mig-21 variant that it ends up echoing but it should add a little interest once complete.

I have to keep checking that the glazing can fit on top!

• Like 6

That cockpit tub looks superb. Now Mini Me Dave just has to remember where he left his Pilots notes in order to select the right switches to light up the candle!! Excellent, realistic modelling. Loving this so much. 

Cheers.. (Full size) Dave 

• Thanks 1

Excellent work Paul, that bang seat looks terrific, Serge will be proud of you :) .

Nice work adding the extra wiring to the area in front of the instrument panel, you are right that it is a very visible area and your wires should busy it up very nicely indeed.

Good idea to keep checking the fit of the front canopy, don't want to be caught out later on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Paul, that bang seat looks terrific, Serge will be proud of you :) .

Nice work adding the extra wiring to the area in front of the instrument panel, you are right that it is a very visible area and your wires should busy it up very nicely indeed.

Good idea to keep checking the fit of the front canopy, don't want to be caught out later on.

Cheers craig ;)

• Like 1

Cockpit detail faffery all sorted now chaps 💪

48723644976_8c4900cdeb_h.jpg

Canopy masked 👍

48723645046_b33dce07a4_b.jpg

This rear view mirror i’ll be adding 

48723818792_18a683b90c_c.jpg
48723819047_46c0cb4c5a_b.jpg

And a little decal detail is on

48723818972_77c217c6c7_b.jpg

(There should be another one on the inner upper side of the canopy but it wont be seen when closed at all so no need for that one)

Should be moving the build out of the cockpit next step! Yay! 🤗

• Like 6

Thanks chaps thats really kind. I think my skills need to improve a whole bunch before i’m confident enough to have a canopy open craig but i appreciate your positive vibes 👍🙌

Not much progress to report on the aircraft  i’m afraid, the new baby and the preceeding 3 children means not a lot of time at my workbench. I’ve drilled a couple of holes for 1 rail each side holding a k-13 missile each as described in the first post.

48739112378_a3b2256d93_h.jpg

Also the canopy is mounted and ‘primed’ in clear matt varnish (so the ak cockpit turquoise had something to grab too)

I have some fettling to do to get the rear to align to the fuselage

48739623662_73aa858ef7_b.jpg

• Like 5

Congratulations on the new edition and commiserations for the other three!! ... only joking. My two are teenagers so they are less work but still quite stressful to have around the house. Considering what other household duties you must have, you’re doing stirling work with this kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Congratulations on the new edition and commiserations for the other three!! ... only joking. My two are teenagers so they are less work but still quite stressful to have around the house. Considering what other household duties you must have, you’re doing stirling work with this kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Aha! You've reached the "it's easier from here on in" stage with offspring. I hope you are right, experience with my five has taught me otherwise..:angry:

• Like 1

Jeez 5!

I found the road to having the fourth an interesting journey from the perspective of others:

When you tell friends your expecting a first baby the responses are’wow’’amazing’’Thats incredible news!’’Terrific!!!’ Etc

#2 gets very good responses too ‘Super news!’ ‘So wonderful!’ ‘Fantastic!’ ‘We’re so happy for you!’

#3 starts to get slightly wavering reviews  ‘wow another!?’ ‘Thats great. was it planned?’ ‘Oh my you’ll be busy’ ‘good luck

#4 pretty much across the board of friends and colleagues has got ‘OH SH#T!’ Without exception 🤣

• Haha 4

I knew a couple who had five kids and the very youngest was their first girl (poor thing).. somehow the word ‘fun’ disappeared from their vocabulary very quickly! 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Aha! You've reached the "it's easier from here on in" stage with offspring. I hope you are right, experience with my five has taught me otherwise..:angry:

I’m not sure ‘easier stage’ seems right!  I’m still trying to work out at what age they make their own beds, need to be woken up, need to be told to go to bed, put dishes in the dishwasher, take the seven empty glasses out of their room and put them in the dishwasher, pack the dishwasher properly, put their dirty clothes in the laundry basket... etc etc. Sometimes I wish they were small kids again? 

Cheers.. Dave (the dishwasher stacker nazi!) 

• Haha 2