1960 Lightning strikes twice.

Hi Folk's a mere 5 months after I came into this world, down at RAF Coltishall 74 Squadron became the first  unit to fly the mighty Lightning.

It's been a favourite of mine since I glued the old Airfix kit to my hand's,table and floor waaay back but over the years I've avoided them because of 

silver finishes.I've just had the pleasure though of finishing Airfix's F6 in the later Gray scheme and picked up another late schemed version back

in June for a tenner at the Northern show so I'll reign in the mass building frenzy of the Frog GB and stick to one possibly two for this one.

maxresdefault

And here's the one just completed.

20190722_114929

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 13

Hard to think there would be a BM GB without your presence Steve. The Lightning is always a welcomed choice and I'll grant you extra points for being the first member to post through your build nomination. 

Cheers and warm welcome.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hard to think there would be a BM GB without your presence Steve. The Lightning is always a welcomed choice and I'll grant you extra points for being the first member to post through your build nomination. 

Cheers and warm welcome.. Dave  

Thanks Dave,I there's a good few choices for the year for another something later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thanks Dave,I there's a good few choices for the year for another something later.

Something tells me you'll be hard pressed to stop at just one GB build, Steve! 

The GB Hosts are always happy to have you on board. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Nice choice Steve - 1960 I presume? Probably a bit more choice than I have 11 years earlier. Nearly everything in my stash that isn't WWI or WWII seems to be mid 50's to mid 60's.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Nice choice Steve - 1960 I presume? Probably a bit more choice than I have 11 years earlier. Nearly everything in my stash that isn't WWI or WWII seems to be mid 50's to mid 60's.

There is this from Wiki. ? 

"Early 1949 – The Royal Navy experiments with landing undercarriage-less aircraft aboard aircraft carriers, landing an experimental de Havilland Sea Vampire F.21 with strengthened undersides with its landing gear retracted aboard HMS Warrior. Warrior has rubberized deck surfaces installed for the experiments."

Found it here. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_in_aviation

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zebra said:

You seem to be really into Lightnings at the moment Steve!

Always loved them Z just an aversion to silver finishes which limits the schemes!I'd love to do a Gray/Green one.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning folk's,not forgotten this one I've been doing bits and pieces over the last week or two.Cockpit painted and decalled 

and main assemblies done,I found with the last Lightning once at the primer stage the rest moves quickly hope to be there in a day or two.

20190827_105816

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bugle07 said:

All looks good there Steve, any issues with the fit?

Geoff 

Thanks Geoff.I was prepared after the previous build of this kit.a shave off the trunking under the cockpit and the rear plate and she joined beautifully.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi folk's not been idle on this one over the last couple of week's,undersides painted Aluminium by hand and top coat applied today.

I'm going to brush paint the section under the wing as masking was going to be a headache.

20190907_155506

• Like 11

To the modeller who just doesn't rest... you are a machine, Steve! 

This is looking so nice and has given me a prod to perhaps elevate mine up the build cure a little. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1