AUGUSTE PICCARD Mesoscaphe 1964 Tourist submarine

This one has been sitting in the stash for a while, a 99p win on evilbay.

spacer.png

The Kit itself hails from 1964, surprisingly the white plastic was still white for a 55 year old kit.

The subject is of the worlds first tourist submarine, which carried over 30,000 visitors to the depths of lake Geneva during 1964's Science Fair. The submarine then went onto research work in the gulf of Mexico for a number of years before being stood on the lakeside in Switzerland. When i bought the kit reference material was hard to come by, but when i decided to crack on i found it had recently been restored and is on display outside a Swiss museum, with loads of photos.

The kit itself was one half clear plastic, with a full interior with 40 odd seats, tanks and bulk heads. The other half was solid white plastic with just silver stickers for the glazing.

So after much drilling and cutting i replaced the white plastic with scratch built glazing for the wheelhouse and kristal clear for the portholes, Hand painted in humbrol enamels, ive called time on this build with the usual problem with gloss white.

The markings are custom made decals, i dispensed with the 3 figures as there were of 60's vintage and deformed and out of scale. Iid like to think ive made a half decent job of this but theres always that nagging doubt LOL.

The full interior is there, just a bit hard to photograph so forgive me if its not clear.

Anyhow here she is, The Aguste Piccard Mesoscaphe, 380mm long (15").

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

All the best Chris

• Like 27

Ah yes - a Swiss submarine! 🇨🇭 I’ve been wondering why there are so few of these on Britmodeller. 😜

This is reminds me of the time the Swiss took the America’s cup from New Zealand. 😰

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

What a brilliant subject, a well built and presented model of a vintage kit !!

I'm not much of a "boat" person, but I can really appreciate something so out of left field.

Rog

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Ah yes - a Swiss submarine!

Gidday, better than a Mongolian submarine. At least the Swiss had a large lake to paddle around in!😀

An interesting and unusual subject Chris. I've never heard of her, but you've done a good model of the boat.

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

This is reminds me of the time the Swiss took the America’s cup from New Zealand.

I thought it was a Niger/Chad consortium that did that. You live and learn.    (Sorry Chris, but I couldn't help myself).

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Wow what a blast form the past!

A cool subject and well built, BZ Chris,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

Unusual subject and I have not heard of this one before but it looks like a very well built model and well presented 

my hat is off to you sir Cracking job Chris 

beefy 

• Like 1

Beautiful job! Reminds me of the tourist submarine I went on in the Bahamas, the old James Bond movie prop. Next

you might consider a Jamaican bob sled model?---John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...