design suggestions sought

s.e.charles

I want to turn this bus into a "grounded van" with the intention of using it for a platelayer's shack or some other type of watchman's shanty. the body modifications come easily to me, but the front end is posing a quandary. 

https://miniart-models.com/products/38005/#lg=1&slide=0

my initial thought is to remove the engine & bodywork/ wings, and leave the frame (sans axle & suspension) exposing the supports to ground. another would be to leave everything in tact, but my fear is that the whole would then become a representation of an abandoned vehicle with no definite purpose - a condition I eschew.

any suggestions to alter or consider in lieu of the above appreciated. 

thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Could you not ground the whole thing by removing all the running gear, but leave the front end on (less bumper and fenders) 

with the idea of using the engine as a power source

or

remove the engine but insert a diesel generator with access through the engine side panel?

i also see the fenders repurposed as an outdoors bath once “welded” together.

just my 2 pence on the matter. 

good luck with whatever you choose. 

coops

• Like 1

I'm going to suggest removing the whole front end, the rationale being that the bus has been scrapped and someone has gone to the trouble of recycling the axles and suspension they would almost certainly take the engine as well leaving the body to be repurposed separately.  If you wanted to reduce the risk of it looking just like an abandoned vehicle could you rest it on some brick piers or a plinth to make it look more permanent ?

An interesting project :hmmm:

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

I think a combination of the above suggestions will take place. this idea has taken on a life of its own since my original idea. the van will now become a caretaker's home on the Shivering Sands and Fog Island Light Railway & Navigation Company. Fog Island is the destination of a narrow feldbahn style railway. the Island is a seasonal caravan park set in the early post ww ii years (1949).

I will only need to live to 100 to complete the modeling ideas roaming in my consciousness. unless I get another today.

13 hours ago, Cooper645 said:

Could you not ground the whole thing by removing all the running gear, but leave the front end on (less bumper and fenders) 

with the idea of using the engine as a power source

or

remove the engine but insert a diesel generator with access through the engine side panel?

i also see the fenders repurposed as an outdoors bath once “welded” together.

just my 2 pence on the matter. 

good luck with whatever you choose. 

coops

I like the bathtub idea. I already have a jeep hood intended for a vestibule over the original folding bus door. the original model A engine is destined to be installed in a Pit Road IJA Kurogane converted into a civilian "'round the world in 80 days" contender. a MiniArts motorcycle 1 cylinder engine will become an emergency generator in the original engine bay, with possible room for tool box & oil can. the running gear/ chassis stripped but opening up holes where anything would have been bolted to make it look purposed, and railroad tie cribbing holding the whole above high tide line. a possible vignette will include seasonal spring jacking to replace winter washed away sand.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard E said:

If you wanted to reduce the risk of it looking just like an abandoned vehicle could you rest it on some brick piers or a plinth to make it look more permanent ?

An interesting project :hmmm:

please refer above run-on sentenced reply! thanks all.

Cut the front off, chassis, engine etc right at the fire wall. Then add a short beam out of the front as a simple A frame and add a tow eye. This can then be stood on some bricks or wooden blocks as a bus that’s been converted into a trailer to tow behind a tractor or small truck?

• Like 1

that's an interesting twist which I had not considered. I do have a Thunder Models Case tractor but it was going to be pressed into service shuttling the caravans about.

of course, it could do "double-duty"!

idea well under advisement by The Committee; thanks