1/35 Panzer V Panther - First attempt at weathering

Hey guys, 

This is my first of hopefully many posts and builds on this forum. I'm relatively new to modelling having only two proper model kit builds to my name. This is my latest one - The 1/35 Panther D from Tamiya. I had never weathered a model before so this was a really fun build and I feel I learned a lot. You can probably tell I went pretty heavy on the rust and that (not very realistic for a Panther in Kursk I know...) I wanted to put it up here so you gents could take a look at it and maybe tell me what to improve for next models, I'm sure there is loads of things that could have been done better. But at the end of the day it's all a learning curve isn't it.  By the way, please excuse the quality (rather lack of it) of the pictures, the next ones will be better. The last image is just a base I threw it on for a high school project (didn't invest much time into it, I hate having to model for school purposes) 

My next project is a 1/35 Type 16 from Tamiya. I won't give all the details here but If you're interested the first post will be up in the "work in progress" section later today. I'd appreciate it if you could help me out by telling me how it's going what I'm doing well, not so well etc... 

Kind regards, 

Jack

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 24

Looks good but like you said you put too much rust on the exhausts (in comparison to the rest weathering) and you could expose steel on tracks to make it more realistic. For the more opinion it is needed more photos from different sides of the model.

Best regards Witjas

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, witjas4 said:

Looks good but like you said you put too much rust on the exhausts (in comparison to the rest weathering) and you could expose steel on tracks to make it more realistic. For the more opinion it is needed more photos from different sides of the model.

Best regards Witjas

Thanks for your reply Witjas. I'll keep in mind to expose steel on the tracks next time I make a tank model. I've seen that effect online and it looks a lot more realistic ; especially on these rubber tracks from Tamiya. Progress on my current project (Type 16 MCV) is being uploaded every other day as a "work in progress - armour" if you want to check it out. I'll be sure once it's done to post better pics than I did for this Panther. 

Cheers, Jack

Looks really good, especially as an initial foray into weathering...

My advice, generally speaking, is to look at as many photographs of the real thing as you can.  That'll show you how the real vehicle looked (don't rely on restorations). Then it's a case of how you want to interpret those images - this is an interpretation of reality and that gives you scope to create the effect you're after, not just slavishly trying to be 'realistic'..

Hope that helps.

Matt

• Thanks 1

Hi Wardaddy, really impressed with your build.

For me I practiced a lot on the cheaper Tamiya Kits, the Universal Carrier and Panzer II are great, they are small quick and easy to build and don't take up much space but are a great for practice. I became a bit boggled by all of the weathering techniques and products out there on the internet and have recently tried to get a quality finish with limited weathering. Sometimes "less is more" can work just as well. 

• Thanks 1