-MIG-25 BM camouflage

IPMS19

- I'm building another MIG-25BM in camouflage uniform, the BORT 37. I have this photo of the beast which puzzle me

xv6g8o.jpg

- As it seems to be dressed in some kind of wrap-around camo as can be suggestd by the camouflaged looking wing pylons as well as missile rails with  green, green and brown colors neatly seen. The under sides of the wings seems camouflaged too as some traces of clear paints seems to appear as well as darker shade shapes.Looking at the nose it looks to be camouflagd aswell notably with sand patches.

- Usually  as far as my modest knowledge  permit, Soviet//Russian combat of this period didn't use this particular kind of scheme even on camouflaged machine . Could it be an experimental trial ? Or specially painted machine for a particular occasion, an "agressor" scheme ?. Our friend AlexGRD think it is the icy ground reflecting on the metallic sufaces, however the same on the vertical surfaces of the pylons on both wings seems unlikely. 

- I think there is here some matter of debate. May be some one could bring his own stone to help solving the question knowing that I stopped the painting of my Foxbat till I get more about this.

• Thanks 1

I have seen several photos of recce MiG-25s in camo colours in East Germany when they were based there. I also have a picture of the aircraft above, but from the STBD side in the Aerofax book on the MiG-25, and it does seem to be in camo all over, although there do seem to be largish patches of grey on the sides of the fuselage. Hope this is of some help.

I have just found a picture on the back cover of the book mentioned above, and it shows this aircraft with the pylons painted in Grey.

Edited by Jabba

11 hours ago, Slater said:

Looks like that scheme was applied with brushes and rattlecans.

-It could be..., Bort 37 was a machine of 4th training unit, as the BM was a SEAD dedicated version it could be possible it had been painted in a temporay scheme for some exercice at a moment of its duty life and them returned to the standard underside grey it wore previously, but more I look at the photo more I'm convinced there is some kind of camo under the wings and pylons only, the belly being in standard grey with some intrusion at the separation  limits as can be seen on the gear doors. THe question remains open and I still do not know  how to go on with my model painting

MiG-25 BM white 37 was a one off experimental scheme, in an experimental unit. not operational as far as I understand

some more photos from the net:
image1162060265.JPG

http://www.valka.cz/newdesign/v900/html_images/10_2006/image1162060265.JPG

mig25bm6.jpg

http://www.airbase.ru/sb/russia/mikoyan/mig/25/bm/img/mig25bm6.jpg

mig25bm5.jpg

http://www.airbase.ru/sb/russia/mikoyan/mig/25/bm/img/mig25bm5.jpg

o3-4.jpg

https://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MA/MA98-3/o3-4.jpg

34-1.jpg

https://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MA/MA98-3/34-1.jpg

mig25bm7.jpg

https://www.airbase.ru/sb/russia/mikoyan/mig/25/bm/img/mig25bm7.jpg

I do not think it is wrap around....

hope this helps!

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 2

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:52, exdraken said:

- Many thanks Werner, I just answer your post on Fighter to conclued that I'm still in doubt. If you watch attentivly the photo of the starboard side on the snow, the wing pylons are obviously painted for a part in some kind of camo as well as the gear doors so I don't kno what to think about this. go or no go that's the question.....

Edited by Julien
please dont quote all the pictures in a thread

without a picture... what ever you do it well be lots of guesswork

the MAIN gear doors do have some camo on, as opposed to the camouflaged recce Foxbats. ....

on the other hand, below the wings on the aiframe sides it is definitely some grey

and there is a lot of dirt and reflections......

a bit cynic, but I do hope we will get a final answer once you have done it, one way of the other... I am sure a pic shows up afterwards to prove you wrong....... sorry :banghead:

Edited by exdraken

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

without a picture... what ever you do it well be lots of guesswork

the MAIN gear doors do have some camo on, as opposed to the camouflaged recce Foxbats. ....

on the other hand, below the wings on the aiframe sides it is definitely some grey

and there is a lot of dirt and reflections......

a bit cynic, but I do hope we will get a final answer once you have done it, one way of the other... I am sure a pics shows up afterwards to prove you wrong....... sorry :banghead:

-As usual in modelling once you have spent sweat and blood on scratch building a part eaten by the carpett monster the original suddenly re appear I wish it will be the same for the  miraculous  photo and I will know at last wether I'm right or wrong  whatever the result I will be equally pleasd and reliefed....it is the sport's law my friend......:shrug:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jordi said:

There was no official camouflage pattern for the MiG-25BM.  It was all done freehand at the whim of the person painting it.  There were MiG-25RB variants (reconnaissance vs. the BM which is a SEAD platform - a Wild Weasel) that had similar camouflage.   But no two of them are anything alike.

- That explain why the port and starboard side of Bort 37 are different  even on the nose cone. Do you think the wing pylons and missile rails could have been camouflaged as well as it seems to be the case on the photo ?,

On 7/29/2019 at 5:25 PM, exdraken said:

@koteyfrom Begemot decals put some info here several years ago already... unfortunately nothing new......

maybe he has gotten more info by now?

-Hi Werner,

- I got in touch with Kotey  he couldn't tell me more as he has the same photos we are questioning about ......BUT.....!

for several year I used to rely on the web to get photos of the planes I wanted discarding my old faithfull books, back to the middle age years I' ve discoverd these photos of BORT 37 in Yefim GORDON Red Star VOLUME N° 34 PAGE 74 and back cover these pictures assessinq unquestionably that the missiles rails were camouflaged giving another sense to the first photo I sent including the fact that the entire pylons are camouflaged as well knowing that there were no official patern of camouflage and painters free to assume their artistical feelings..

uVWnn9.jpg

R5SyGH.jpg

- You owe me a jar my friend.......🍻

• Like 1

wow!

thanks!

🍻

books..... that old dust catching heavy thing in the shelf you mean?

do not think I have this specific book.. but planed to go through the ones I have..... no time as of yet.... you know, always behind the screen... not on the coffeetable! :D