Tamiya Spray AS22 Dark Earth

Stein Meum

Should post a photo so we can have an idea ... how does it compare  when adjacent to Dk Green? 

Found via google, another modeller making the same statement on their Lancaster build:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/airfix-2017-lancaster-group-build-battletweety-bui-t50796-s15.html

In comparison to period photos, it can look a bit dark and slightly too much red, but it seems lighting can be a factor because some of the finished photos (from above link) look acceptable.

WW2-RAF-pilots-and-groundcrew-prepare-a-

spitfire_1.jpg

regards,

Jack

I was experimenting with various Tamiya acrylic mixes to get an acceptable 'flat earth' - this is the mix I most favor - Tamiya 2:XF-49 Khaki and 1:XF-52 Flat Earth

Tamiya Acrylics - RAF Dark Earth paint mix - comparison

For comparison, I'm using the paint chips in the RAF museum's book "British Aviation Colors of World War Two". Photos were taken under natural cloudy sunlight and incandescent light.

Cover colors

(The tops and bottom of the test card are brush painted, the center darker portion is after a coat of Future.)
A is Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth
B is Gunzie H72 Dark Earth
C is Tamiya custom mix that appeared in Hyperscale, of 1:XF-72, 1:XF-49, 1:XF-55
D is my mix of Tamiya 2:XF-49 Khaki and 1:XF-52 Flat Earth
E is Tamiya XF-81 RAF Dark Green

Natural cloudy sunlight

comparison3

Incandescent light

comparison2

I think the Dark Earth (D) is close enough for a simple mix (there is a lot of variation in the original batches of WW2 paint), the Tamiya green seems just a touch to dark under future.
More importantly, the colors "look" right to the eye, without the jarring red/green contrast of Tamiya's XF-52 alone.

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 3

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 15:45, Tail-Dragon said:

I was experimenting with various Tamiya acrylic mixes to get an acceptable 'flat earth' - this is the mix I most favor - Tamiya 2:XF-49 Khaki and 1:XF-52 Flat Earth

Tamiya Acrylics - RAF Dark Earth paint mix - comparison

For comparison, I'm using the paint chips in the RAF museum's book "British Aviation Colors of World War Two". Photos were taken under natural cloudy sunlight and incandescent light.

(The tops and bottom of the test card are brush painted, the center darker portion is after a coat of Future.)
A is Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth
B is Gunzie H72 Dark Earth
C is Tamiya custom mix that appeared in Hyperscale, of 1:XF-72, 1:XF-49, 1:XF-55
D is my mix of Tamiya 2:XF-49 Khaki and 1:XF-52 Flat Earth
E is Tamiya XF-81 RAF Dark Green

Natural cloudy sunlight

Incandescent light

I think the Dark Earth (D) is close enough for a simple mix (there is a lot of variation in the original batches of WW2 paint), the Tamiya green seems just a touch to dark under future.
More importantly, the colors "look" right to the eye, without the jarring red/green contrast of Tamiya's XF-52 alone.

But Stein's question was about Tamiya AS22 rattlecan Dark Earth, not about various mixes.

Chris

Edited by Julien
pls dont quote all the pics in a post
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

But Stein's question was about Tamiya AS22 rattlecan Dark Earth, not about various mixes.

Sorry if I intruded, but I was just trying to show my agreement that Tamiya's 'Dark earth' does seem too red, in my humble opinion.  The main purpose was to show the Tamiya color against the RAF Museum's paint chip.