Bristol Centaurus question

Linescriber

21 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

India didn't have Sea Furies

Sorry , got mixed up with Pakistan , was out by a few miles and 2 years .

I was a bit afraid you were going to ask me to list "lots" of types with Centaurus!  With a quick check I only got into double figures by counting some rare prototypes, though I dare say I missed some.  Blame it on the fool who invented the jet engine, else there'd really be lots.

• Haha 3

The Indians had a fair number of Tempest IIs that were Centaurus powered, so not that surprising if an engine had survived. I seem to recall the II in the RAF Museum had come from India and there is one squirrelled away that was a long term restoration to flight project. 

12 minutes ago, Mr T said:

The Indians had a fair number of Tempest IIs that were Centaurus powered, so not that surprising if an engine had survived. I seem to recall the II in the RAF Museum had come from India and there is one squirrelled away that was a long term restoration to flight project. 

I know Kermit Weeks is getting one airborne (and  V too!)

http://warbirdsnews.com/aviation-museum-news/tempest-revival.html

There is at least one other ‘somewhere in Europe’

Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks, I did not know Weeks was restoring the II to flight. Somewhere in the UK there was a II being restored, not sure at what stage it was at. Last time I saw a pic of it looked pretty complete. 

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Centaurus (hateful things)

Sea Fury (Speaking of hateful things)

And there was I thinking that you were a man of taste and refinement. Colour me disillusioned. Fancy hating Furys and the magic that is a sleeve valve engine.. tsk tsk.

:) (I'm joking, of course. We've all got our favourites and our not so favourites. Apparently, some people obsess over Spitfires to the exclusion of all else. Barmy, totally whack.)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Definitely a Centaurus (hateful things) and definitely from a Tempii.

Well, we all know it's no Sea Venom in the looks department, Steve! 😜

Mike

19 hours ago, Rob G said:

And there was I thinking that you were a man of taste and refinement. Colour me disillusioned. Fancy hating Furys and the magic that is a sleeve valve engine.. tsk tsk.

:) (I'm joking, of course. We've all got our favourites and our not so favourites. Apparently, some people obsess over Spitfires to the exclusion of all else. Barmy, totally whack.)

I am, how ever I've been bitten by various pointy bits, leaked on (oil and fuel) stabbed by lockwire / split pins various and almost flattened by one of the flipping things

Tends to disincline one from sharing the love.

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Well, we all know it's no Sea Venom in the looks department, Steve! 😜

Mike

You'd be surprised to know I consider the Sea Venom to on the somewhat ugly side of the street, they make up for it in character.

If you want a looker I believe our friends at Douglas will steer you true.

XsLh56h.jpg

• Like 3