Opel Blitz FrankenFlak

Hi Everyone, thought I would post some pics of a fun little project that I have had in mind for a while. I had an Opel Blitz as part of a small stash of water damaged kits my dad picked up from his local LHS and passed over to me. The box was damaged but the kit was fine. I have built a Blitz OOB before and wanted to do something different with it. I also had in the spares box from years ago a Tamiya Flak gun missing its trailer. So here is the result.....a FrankenBlitz.   I’m pretty happy with it and certainly accept it probably never existed in real life but hey it was a fun build and something different from all the armour i’ve been building recently. Hope you like it 🙂

48388216296_82584ae6b7_b.jpg 48388355902_d7c6b0cc7c_b.jpg

48388219621_1dae6edfe2_b.jpg 48388215806_a901085a08_b.jpg

48388215921_332c511733_b.jpg 48388216656_6d4c49bdf0_b.jpg

• Like 16

This seems very plausible - as well as being extremely well done. 2cm FlaK on the back of Blitz certainly existed, and IIRC the DAK version had the cut-off cab. By 1944 very mobile FlaK was essential and towed guns found themselves being transplanted onto pretty much anything that would take them. This combination would rock a bit when firing to the side but is perfectly possible.

It might be questioned whether the truck should be Dunkelgelb for that era: the gun would have been in grey as production stopped at about the time of the colour change. But it could easily have been an older vehicle on garrison duties in France or Germany. Repainting was not mandated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Das Abteilung said:

This seems very plausible - as well as being extremely well done. 2cm FlaK on the back of Blitz certainly existed, and IIRC the DAK version had the cut-off cab. By 1944 very mobile FlaK was essential and towed guns found themselves being transplanted onto pretty much anything that would take them. This combination would rock a bit when firing to the side but is perfectly possible.

It might be questioned whether the truck should be Dunkelgelb for that era: the gun would have been in grey as production stopped at about the time of the colour change. But it could easily have been an older vehicle on garrison duties in France or Germany. Repainting was not mandated.

Well said mate

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2019 at 20:48, Carius said:

Very nice, well done mate.

Thanks carius 🙂

On 27/07/2019 at 21:56, Lawrence Tierney said:

I bet you something similar did exist. Necessity is the mother of invention etc etc

It was fun to do something a bit creative rather than OOB

On 27/07/2019 at 23:29, Das Abteilung said:

Thanks for the kind comments, I did think about doing the truck and gun in Dunkelgelb but used the same logic that they would have made use of older trucks and equipment rather than new.

On 30/07/2019 at 14:12, PlaStix said:

Very cool looking project! Very well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix 🙂

On 30/07/2019 at 16:53, Steve190 said:

Very nice work, Steve

Thanks Steve 🙂