Tanmodel 1/48 RF-84F

Been a bit busy lately.  Just finished this & I highly recommend it!  Very well moulded with good fit throughout, nice clear parts, a wide selection of markings & nationalities provided on a good quality decal sheet.  A full set of masks is provided for all of the clear parts & for the antiglare panel on the nose.  There's a lot to squeeze in before you join the fuselage halves & assembly & positioning of the triple camera mount in the nose is not very well detailed in the instructions so use your "skill & judgement".  One of the assemblies to be included before joining the fuselage halves & one that gave me the most trouble is the internal intake trunking & fan assembly.  To be totally honest unless your model is going on a competition table where a judge might shine his penlight down the intakes, you could totally OMIT most of this - it really cannot be seen!  Nice cockpit though.  The camera windows can be fitted from the outside which was a great help as it means you can fit them after any of the required filling & sanding has been completed & (hopefully) avoid them getting mucked up.  The open camera bays are produced by removing the marked areas on each fuselage halve before assembly & using parts provided for the hinged doors.  Tbh, on the next one I build I won't bother with this.  Firstly because I now feel it spoils the lines of the model, secondly because I suspect there's a lot of detail missing from the opened bays (don't get me wrong some nice detail IS provided but I'm not certain that it's ALL there).  The nose wheel leg is very long & a potential weak spot, plus the location points for the main gear legs are a little "soft" so I elected to reinforce them all with brass wire - actually drilling up THROUGH the upper wing surface so I could push the reinforcement rod right through before cutting & filing/sanding flush.  I Used a Caracel decal sheet for the national/unit markings with the kit stencils, walkways etc.  My only issue is finding a match for the blue on the nose flash which is meant to wrap around the nose.  Nothing in my stock of paints so I'll have to keep a look out! 

20190724_191319 20190724_191208 20190724_190927

• Like 29

Very nice model and scheme, too! A lot sleeker-looking than its fighter brother! Well done! You might try Modelmaster auto paint for the blue, as that color looks a lot like Chrysler Blue to me. BTW, did it need nose weight? If so, where did you manage to get it in?

Mike

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice model and scheme, too! A lot sleeker-looking than its fighter brother! Well done! You might try Modelmaster auto paint for the blue, as that color looks a lot like Chrysler Blue to me. BTW, did it need nose weight? If so, where did you manage to get it in?

Mike

Thanks.  No need for nose weight.  Someone mentioned elsewhere that the instructions say no need for nose weight if you fit all the cameras but I couldn't see this & anyway they weigh next to nothing so can't see how this would work!  If you don't open the nose hatches you could get a lot in all the space available but as I say I didn't & there's no need!

Great finish, I agree with you about the nose panels, and lack of positive location for the cameras,  I also had  trouble with a couple of the windows not fitting.  Seems they have disappeared from the shops in the UK, which is a pity.

Well done Graham

Excellent job

I have built both the early and later runs of this kit, although they are still sitting on my desk half finished at the moment.  My experience with them has not been fun at all, the first version of the kit having very textured plastic, the redux version is far better in this regard.  The fit was fine, like you, getting the cameras lined up almost drove me around the bend.  I certainly agree you could leave the trunking out, the fit isn't that great anyway.  If you want better detailed camera doors, CMK make a set with the interior quilting which look far better than the kit ones.  I did one of my versions as the suez striped one but have misplaced one of the airbrakes.  I wonder how they sold as I have seen almost none made, either at shows, or on the various for a.  Ive given up on TanModel ever   releasing the Buccaneer.

Again, great job

Bruce

I've built two of these... Quite good kits, intakes may be a little troublesome but at the end turns into very good looking models of this wonderful aircraft. Yours too is a nice example to that.

On 7/27/2019 at 8:40 PM, Silver Fox said:

Great finish, I agree with you about the nose panels, and lack of positive location for the cameras,  I also had  trouble with a couple of the windows not fitting.  Seems they have disappeared from the shops in the UK, which is a pity.

I got this one from Hannants earlier this year & picked up another a couple of weeks back on Amazon for the pretty much the same price.