McDonnell-Douglas F-15A Eagle

This is another older build, circa 1991-'92. It had never had a photograph made until the photo session with my Me-262 at the Cameron airport. It’s painted with Humbrol and Model Master enamels and built basically out of the box. I’d have to look through my decals box to say for sure where the Israeli markings came from. When I look at the model now, I see so many things I would do differently these days. But back then, I thought it turned out great. 😉 But as my meager skills progressed and improved somewhat, I didn’t feel it was even worthy of a photo session.   

Loading up for my last trip to the airport, I looked over the display cabinets and thought, “what the hell!?!”    Although it was very old and from my pre-internet days, I’d take out the old F-15 Eagle and see how it looked in a “different” environment. All in all, I think she did okay. The passage of the years hasn’t been that unkind once she was photographed in her natural setting.  "Natural"?    Well, I guess Texas will have to pass for Israel in these pics.😉  Although it's been said a lot, Monogram's classic kits were a lot of bang for the buck "back in the day" and I think they still represent their real-life types quite well.  That said, thank you for stopping in and taking a look at this old model.  Please feel free to comment, good or bad! 😀

sb20full20with20hangar20good.jpg

sb%20open%20canopy%201.jpg

sb20front20good.jpg

fd04a242-69c7-4ad4-96e5-7f4b349adf2e.jpg

sb%20intake.jpg

sb%20underwing%202.jpg

sb%20full%20with%20hangar%20good.jpg

cockpit%201.jpg

overhead%20good.jpg

revolving%20cannon.jpg

vertical%20stabs.jpg

sb%20underwing.jpg

sb%20full%20high%20angle.jpg

sb%20from%20rear%20full%20good.jpg

exhausts.jpg

port%20front%20closer.jpg

port%20rear%20good.jpg

instrument%20panel.jpg

port%20full.jpg

port%20front%20close%20up.jpg

port%20front%20good.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 22

Gorgeous, I forget just how Monogram always seem to capture "that" right shape with their models, way before CADs became the in thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FIGHTS ON said:

Gorgeous, I forget just how Monogram always seem to capture "that" right shape with their models, way before CADs became the in thing.

Thank you sir!  I agree completely regarding that comment about Monogram kits. 🍻

54 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Lovely model and great photography. 

Thanks AD 210!  Much appreciated I assure ya!! 😀

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

I agree.   Still a nice kit today!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thanks mate! 🍻

14 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great classic!

Brand new Israeli Eagle :)

I like it! 

Fresh out of the shop!  Thanks so much! 😀

13 hours ago, Luiz said:

Brilliant job, Gary...the model and  the photos👍

Luiz

Luiz, I'm so glad to see your comment!  That means a lot to me.  Many thanks to you!:worthy:

11 hours ago, B.sin said:

I agree.   Still a nice kit today!

Much appreciated I assure you!  Thanks a lot! 🍨

Hello Gary,

It was worth all the trouble to get this Monogram F-15 photographed.

Monogram always good. regards, Orion

• Like 2

Your model is the Living proof that PE parts are not necessary to build a detailed F-15! Glad you put it out to take the photos.

Were did you find the Background Pictures? I am still looking for something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Hello Gary,

It was worth all the trouble to get this Monogram F-15 photographed.

Monogram always good. regards, Orion

Much appreciated Orion!  Yeah, I'm glad that I took her out for pics too.   She photographs well for an old bird! 😀

48 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Got to love the mighty Eagle and this is a great model of it. Nicely atmospheric too.

Thanks Parabat!  🍺  The Eagle is quite a plane for sure, still.  I worked at the home of an F-15 Eagle pilot more than 20 years ago.  It was interesting to talk to him about the aircraft and he was oviously, and rightfully so, proud to be an "Ego Driver".  🙂

2 minutes ago, NorbertBu said:

Your model is the Living proof that PE parts are not necessary to build a detailed F-15! Glad you put it out to take the photos.

Were did you find the Background Pictures? I am still looking for something like that.

Thanks for your kind comments Norbert!  They are so appreciated, thanks for the support and encouragement!  🍻

The "background" in all these model pics is the actual municipal airport in my hometown, Cameron, Texas.   It is located less than 4 minutes from my house and depending on the weather, it makes a great place to photograph models.  I use a card table upon which I have my mock-up of the tarmac.  The camera is mounted on a short tripod beside the table and by turning the table, moving the model to and fro and adjusting the "angle" of it along with adjusting the tripod, one can find a multitude of good camera positions and subject placement.  You know how it is with digital photography; one can take 100 pics and hope to find a handful of good ones.😉  One aspect of taking pics at the airport, along with the unbeatable natural light, is the ever-changing sky and how it affects the photos.   I know how fortunate I am to be able to utilize our little airport, and one of another nearby small town.  Lucky for me because I truly suck at indoor pics of these birds!  

Thanks again! :worthy:

• 6 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 2:07 PM, NorbertBu said:

Yeah, that is really a privileged opportunity to use e real Airport as a background. The models look very realistic in the Right surrounding.

Bringing back an oldie because for some reason, I neglected to reply to Norbert here. :doh:  Thanks for that comment sir; I do appreciate it a lot and please excuse my very late reply🍺

• Thanks 1

I haven't paid attention to this one in July, Gary. I think she does very well on the apron. I don't know what you would want to improve. Pic 5 looks just great!

If I felt obliged to start over with a restoration of my older models every time I've learnt a new trick I would never get to building any new models... So, I made a "deal" with myself to not modify any models younger than 2000 (with a few small exceptions, of course 😉).

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

Thank you Michael!  😀  I was pleased with how she photographed at the airport; somehow the model looked "very at home" out there.   No, I wouldn't "restore" this one, or any of my other older models.  Any time I've tried to go back and "improve" one, it's always been frustrating and in the end, seemed as I should've just left it alone and done with.   But, that said, I can see areas where I believe I could do much better if building it today.    But you're so right in saying that isn't true progress but instead just delaying getting more kits built.    Speaking of which...I have some model work in store for later today; a bit of very minute masking and then some paint work, all on my Revell F-84E that's underway.

Again, thanks for the reply and comments Michael, always appreciated! 🍻

• Like 1

I wanted to update my build info a bit.  Today, while cleaning out file drawers and sorting through papers, I found the hobby shop receipt for the Israeli decals used on this Eagle.  They were bought 2.18.89 (while on an wedding anniversary trip to Austin, Texas🥰), so I would guess the model was built after that, perhaps in 1991 or '92.   In the pile of Kings Hobby receipts were some for several different decal sheets that were used on models whose vintage I had forgotten.  It was a fun lil' trip back in time.   Whew, that was a long time ago! 😀