Paint schemes for Apollo 11 craft

Okay, so after resisting for 50 years, I've bitten hard on the Space theme and taken the plunge on a couple of kits: Revell 1/96 Saturn V and Revell 1/48 Lunar Module (Dragon re-pop).

And now I am wondering. WHY! Shoulda researched this BEFORE dishing out on the purchases, but my life is full of 'shoulda's. 

I have purchased the New Ware detail set and Real Space engines for the Saturn V, and will likely get the Command Module too. 

But now I read that each Saturn V and LM was painted a little differently. Of course they were. Bet they did it on purpose to annoy modellers :)

Anyways, to get to the question - are there any reliable sources for the finished scheme of the Apollo 11 Saturn V and Lunar Module? From what I have read the kit instructions are not entirely accurate. Several hours of google searching have not been productive on this count. I am not a rivet counter, but I do want to end up with something that matches what was actually used, so any help directing me to a website or book/publication would be most gratefully received.

TIA

PR

You could also try to look at the Space In Miniature website https://www.spaceinminiature.com as they have separate books on the Lunar Module and Command Modules that can be bought and downloaded as a PDF. Both books have line drawings that show what particular shade on the whatever machine

• Like 1

Wonderful information - thank you guys, really appreciate your help.

More hours of research, but now with a direction instead of wandering around the ether into dead ends. Thank you for the leads, much appreciated :) 

PR

Edited by Peter Roberts

Thank you Gary - great information, and really like the side profiles. Helps a gumby like me get my head around this one.

Very grateful for the replies to my post - Thanks guys

PR