Just one word ... Respect.

Hello everyone... Well I'm happy to say this one is done. As I mentioned in my build log this is a tribute to Lieutenant D.H.J.Owen (R.N.). While i was looking for some answers during the build process i found my aircraft XV348 was a part of 237 OCU. It was lost in a crash on 31/10/1977. The plane had left Bødø Norway for the U.K. and struck power-lines shortly after takeoff. The back seater survived the pilot did not. 

This was my first ever build of a Frog kit, it was a pretty bare bones kit. I was able to scratch the wheel bays and build a cockpit. I have an Airfix Data-link pod given to me by one member for the Martel's. I am using an A/M pitot for the kit given to me another member. And finally i modified one of the Martel's to a T.V. guided variant. I hope the Buccaneer meets your expectations. I used this photo from Canberra kid as the basis of my model. 

EuIXunT.jpg

kJ8kyO6.jpg

HQOnXbH.jpg

gRvIJHi.jpg

F3fYKV3.jpg

wtthkzA.jpg

7mo2RuX.jpg

8MMDUVh.jpg

U8aZITe.jpg

8SG5Dc2.jpg

hJlGhjW.jpg

xDTkN8l.jpg

2383n2j.jpg

This build is Dedicated to Lieutenant D.H.J. Owen (RN). R.I.P. :poppy:... Questions, comments, or thoughts ? If you're curious here is the build log link. 

Dennis

• Like 39

I had one of these years ago so can attest to its basic level of detail, you have done a fine job of it.  I never built mine but gave it to my Dad who built as a FAA bird with folded wings.

AW

• Thanks 1

The Buccaneer is  a very attractive aircraft, and you've done a great job on the old Frog kit.

May I suggest to add a layer of matt cote to the surface?

Your paint job is very good, but it's a bit too shiny, if I may say.

Matt cote also reduces reflection, which will make the ridges of the color demarcations less noticeable.

• Thanks 1

Very nice job on such an old kit and a nice tribute too.

I second Roman in that I also find it too shiny. A more satin sheen would look much better.

Otherwise, well done :thumbsup:

Miguel

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

May I suggest to add a layer of matt cote to the surface?

54 minutes ago, Mig88 said:

I second Roman in that I also find it too shiny. A more satin sheen would look much better.

Thank you everyone for the likes and compliments. I do plan on it sometime after August 5th. Im currently out of satin coat. My b-day on the 5th is my next budget infusion and will buy then. I have a couple of others that also need the treatment. Otherwise the model(s) are all complete. 

Dennis

Very nice Buccaneer and a great colour scheme. Those underwing stores really look the business too.

While I too would agree that the paint is rather glossy, don't matt the finish totally, as Buccaneers in red/white/blue roundel scheme had a certain degree of gloss to their surfaces, maybe a satin coat as others have said?

I believe the matt paint came in with the red/blue roundels.

Edited by Timbo88
  • Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

I agree with some of the comments about the finish. I think that it should be semi-matt finish with the Type D roundels. We had Buccaneers at RAF Laarbruch when I was based with RAF Germany ( I was on Harriers) and the early Buccs had a gloss finish but later deliveries to XV and 16 Squadrons had the toned down finish with tactical roundels etc. A very potent aircraft which was overshadowed by the Phantom but "Grannie" proved the old girl still had it with  sterling service during the 1991 Gulf War. I don't think the Tornado had the low flying capabilities of the Buccaneer as I have often witnessed in Scotland during holidays. 100 metres was high level for the Buccaneer. An excellent model and a nice tribute to a brave flyer. Best wishes.

Albamac😀

• Thanks 1

Great to see a Froggie finished.

I too would go easy on matting the sheen down. The early schemes on RAF Buccaneers were actually gloss although the shine would have gone off over time. In 1973 the RAF started applying a more matt finish to the grey/green camouflage and toned down the roundels and fin flashes too by removing the white elements.

• Thanks 1

Hello Dennis,

Unbelievable what you did with a Frog model box.

I enjoy looking at these very old models. (memories)

Regards, Orion.

• Thanks 1

Hi There,

A beautiful build of a beautiful subject.

I grew up in Dingwall and can vividly remember these wonderful birds low flying up the Cromarty Firth, heading for the range at Tain and regularly flying over us golfing in Strathpeffer.

The majority of our AEF with the cadets was done at Lossie, so used to watch these and the Shackletons close up very regularly. The Buccaneer has always been one of my all time favourite planes and yours is a magnificent example.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1