Airfix Hunter F6 1/48

Just completed this & very happy with it!  Every bit the Hunter!  Well thought out & engineered parts breakdown, nice cockpit as opposed to the too shallow effort from Academy.  I was forewarned here about the wing pylons which are way to short in height so I got hold of the Aeroparts replacements which are simple & low cost improvements & well worth it.  My only “complaint” about this kit is the choice of markings provided; one “front line” RAF machine in a 63 squadron Hunter with the black/yellow chequered tail, an unarmed 4FTS machine & an RNAF machine in the standard RAF colour scheme.  Why, with all the RAF units & overseas air forces that used the Hunter did Airfix lumber us with a duplication of an already available scheme & add a pair of rather non-descript alternatives.  Maybe I’m being a bit “bah-humbug” because otherwise, it’s a beauty!  Me being me, I forgot the recommended nose weight so I’m afraid it’s a tail-sitter :(

20190706_134647 20190706_134624 20190706_134653

• Like 39

Lovely example👍🏻

I’m building one one at the moment and it literally clicks together in places. I’m taking my time so as to get a good result.

As to the markings, the second RAF example in the kit was the one on a pole outside Humbrol’s factory in Hull, so a bit of nostalgia perhaps?

Trevor

Beautiful Hunter! I recently managed to get a good (by my own standards!) model from the Academy kit, though it took some work. The Airfix one looks to be far better, just need to get very lucky on ebay to find out!

I completely agree about the decal choices, very uninspiring especially for such an apparently well made kit. Nice aftermarket decals on yours though, very colourful; 19 sqn I assume? If I ever get one she'll be done as 56 sqn I think.

Lovely end result. Not got hold of an Airfix 1/48 Hunter yet, but it's on my Christmas wish list. 

Always tricky to know what the optimum decal sheet should contain. In my dreams Modeldecal are relaunched and all those wonderful 1/72 schemes come back in 1/48 too. If only...

Hi Graham,

A lovely model of a 19 Squadron airyplane. Top marks for the finish but just a teeny, weeny criticism. The rear of the canopy appears to have been painted or has a seal. I served on a Hunter Squadron overseas and can't remember any of our aircraft having that as it was generally clear. That doesn't detract from an otherwise excellent model of a classic aircraft. Keep up the excellent work. Best wishes.

Regards 

Albamac 😀😀 

This topic has cropped up on various discussion groups - so I deliberately sought out the Hunter at the recent RIAT 2019 show and took this photo.....

spacer.png

It shows cleary that there is no metal frame at the rear of the sliding canopy.

I spoke to the pilot - and he confirmed that, as the canopy slides forward, the thin black-and-tan arch at the rear of the canopy slides over the buff-coloured hoop at the front end of the spine (note the dip in the spine) - which then inflates to form a seal between the spine and the canopy rear end.

Hope this helps all you Hunter builders...

Ken

• Like 1

Thanks @Flankerman. On mine there was a distinct groove between the bulkhead and the front of the spine. I thought it was either me inserting the pit incorrectly or else bad engineering, so I applied filler and smoothed it out! :wall:

Ah well, I’ll just paint a buff strip in its place.....

Trevor

23 hours ago, albamac said:

Hi Graham,

A lovely model of a 19 Squadron airyplane. Top marks for the finish but just a teeny, weeny criticism. The rear of the canopy appears to have been painted or has a seal. I served on a Hunter Squadron overseas and can't remember any of our aircraft having that as it was generally clear. That doesn't detract from an otherwise excellent model of a classic aircraft. Keep up the excellent work. Best wishes.

Regards 

Albamac 😀😀 

Yes you're right.  I realise there was no actual frame but an inflatable seal which I erroneously though was on the canopy but as pointed out below was actually on the spine.  I'll have to get rid of it.  Airfix have correctly provided the canopy with a line just like the real thing which I THINK represented a slightly thicker area of the canopy?