Short Satellite, AVIS 1/72nd

As the build approach the final stages, I have to make a decision on which type of engine I will use, Cherub or Scorpion. The kit as said at the beginning provides both, if in a rather simplified rendering.

Here are the options on the instructions:

IMG_5130+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

And here the parts on the sprue (only one each is photographed, but they come of course in pairs):

IMG_5134+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The other side:

IMG_5136+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The instructions do not specify which is which (the simple cylinder is meant to represent the ABC Scorpion) of with which decals they should be used, so it's up to you to do the research. 

I think the more "complicated" cylinder (Bristol Cherub) head position is not correctly depicted on the instructions, and should be sideways, with the exhaust at the front sticking downwards.

Now, compared to photos of the real engines, none of the parts look particularly faithful. 

I have many photos of those engines, but none of the photos I have of the Satellite shows, to the fullest extent and with pristine clarity the actual arrangement of those cylinders, which tended to vary quite a bit depending on installation, model, etc.

I will go for the "sideways" -contradicting the instructions- installation of the Cherub, because it's closer to reality and resembles better what I can see in photos of the Satellite, a somewhat flat cake against the surface of the cowl.

It also seems that the exhausts were rotated from going to the sides to going down.

Decisions, decisions...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

I know I wouldn't be happy with those engines... and I'm sure you'll be making better examples.

Stuart

Not in this case, Stuart, they are minuscule and barely visible at this scale, they will do. If I were using the Scorpion ones (the bare cylinder) I would have added a piece or two, but the Cherub is just the head and the pipe, it's fine, just have to glue it in a different position than indicated on the plan.

• Like 1

Learn something new everyday , this is today's item. Never heard of it ! Looks interesting too. I'm hooked !

Now..... wheres my Observers book of Shorts aircraft gone ?

• Like 1

A note regarding changes in time of this plane:

As we know photos show three different schemes

a) Number 8 (that photos clearly show under the wings too outlined in white, missed by the kit's decal sheet)

-This scheme can be seen with and without the louvers on the nose.

b) Civil registration (G-EBJU) and G on rudder.

c) Number 15 and the Seven Feathers Aero Club logo on the nose. G on rudder, regs on wing only, ABC Scorpion engine.

The prop is seen in some photos painted in metal color, or on wood color with small metal spinner tip.

The aft position is seen covered and uncovered, and with or without windscreen.

Exhaust stacks can be seen going outwards horizontally or downwards vertically from the front of the cylinder.

• Like 1

-All the tail control cables were added, as well as the three struts for the stab (that you have to make yourself). The cables that go to the upper elevator control horn pass trough the stab and emerge on the other side

-The decals are by Decograph in Ukraine. Sharply printed, thin, easy to apply (i.e. no fold-overs if applied carefully), will admit playing a bit to find the right position.

I trimmed each individual large reg. letter for the wings:

IMG_5145+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

Do you have any photo of the C scheme please?

Hi Andrew

Here is a link to the image on the web.

All the photos I have came -including this one- from simply using a search engine with "Short Satellite".

Here is the page with the photo you requested on the Flight Magazine archives, a major source for these types:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1926/1926 - 0656.html?search=satellite

• Like 1

The Pitot is added. Photos show an alternate position for it, quite unorthodox: the right leg of the landing gear. The Cherub heads can be seen on the ground.

Do not tidy up to much the seam at the wing root, the wings were removable and photos show it clearly:

IMG_5147+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I finally decided to tackle the fuzzy render of the engines choosing the Cherub head provided and adding just a few stacked cylinder fins to it so it can fit comfortably in the recess provided:

IMG_5148+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_5150+%25281280x987%2529.jpg

IMG_5151+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moa said:

The windshields are next. Four are provided, which is great, because I lost two in the first three minutes of trying to cut them and positioning them:

Its your own fault for letting that baby carpet monster live, you should have squished it while you had the chance.

The mode looks a little gem.

Martian (Harsh but fair) 👽

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Its your own fault for letting that baby carpet monster live, you should have squished it while you had the chance.

The mode looks a little gem.

Martian (Harsh but fair) 👽

How can you be so cruel. After all, it looks better than certain extraterrestrials.

The completed model:

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Moa said:

How can you be so cruel. After all, it looks better than certain extraterrestrials.

But we don't go round eating parts of people's models.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hum...just the occasional head or two.

Don't tell me it's a lie, I have seen it in movies.

What you have seen is an idealised impression of an alien rather than an accurate depiction of Martian life!

In a Huff of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

Just found this - built in a fraction of the time it takes me to scratch build a model even of this size! A very interesting type, beautifully made and finished and very well described in your log - thanks for that.

P

• Thanks 1