Frogspawn F415 P39 Airacobra

English Electric

When I first started using masking solution I used Microscale Micro Mask which works quite well. However, I had to leave a kit standing for 3 or 4 months once with the mask still on and had a devil of a job getting it off afterwards Since then I tend to use Humbrol Maskol which comes off quite easily, but when I switched to using Acrylic paint and varnish I found it was a bit porous so now I put 2 layers on. Recently I tried "mig" liquid mask thinking it would be better suited to acrylics but had a major problem getting it off - see my Me 410 thread. In the end I managed to rub it off with a wet cloth, but it marked the canopy so I had to revarnish it. Speaking of which I now always put at least one coat of varnish on canopies etc before applying the masking solution as it reduces the risk of scratches if you have to scrape it off. I also tend to use masking tape whenever possible.

Hope that helps.

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a nightmare with this - I tried taking off one section of the masking yesterday and it's a horrible mess. Never again. I'm tempted to just take the whole canopy off and strip it down to be honest - am absolutely gutted. Alternatively I might just strip the aircraft down for parts 

Sad end to what would have been a lovely model - I'm gutted. Still at least I can cobble something together with the remaining parts and the resin set I have

C

• Sad 6

That would be such a shame to not see this lovely Airacobra finished. You honestly should persevere just a little bit longer as after all this time and effort you richly deserve it.

Cheers and Good luck.. Dave 

• Like 3

Please don't do anything on impulse regarding this kit.

Potential options might be see if anyone has the Falcon US air force set number 4 it has an Airacobra canopy for a Heller kit, would this fit, or

Follow @TonyW idea with the Whitley and paint the canopies clear parts black, until such time as we can help you find a replacement. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

That model looks too good to give up on. Try running a new knife blade around the frames and then removing the glass areas with a cocktail stick. Failing that, the paint it black option still works.

Don't give up on us baby... Hang about, that's two song references in one thread!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1