Frogspawn F415 P39 Airacobra

English Electric

Hello all... 

Well as promised this will be the P39 build. Have a choice of three to have a bash at... One in mint choc chip green, flesh or turquoise... Decisions decisions. 

Both have the wings glued, and one has the prop / exhausts added too. Will evaluate tonight! 

Looks like a fun build and as said I'll be using an Equipage resin set for the Heller kit. Bergamot decals... 

Pics to follow tonight after work! :)

Bestest as ever

Chris

• Like 6

I was hoping one of these might pop up, and I've even been doing a bit of net-trawling to see if I could find one. It's reputed to be very accurate, notwithstanding what our Eastern European friends might have done to the moulds.

Watching with considerable interest.

John

1 hour ago, John said:

... , and I've even been doing a bit of net-trawling to see if I could find one.

Look no further than Page 4 of the For Sale section

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

Look no further than Page 4 of the For Sale section

That's an interesting list and I wonder what the F-82 Twin Mustang is like. Kind of tempted to get a P-39, however not sure I'm prepared to trade through Western Union? 

Great to see this thread up on hear @English Electricand If I'm not mistaken this P-39 will actually mark the 100th Frog subject being built as part of this GB. I will update the build list shortly. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's an interesting list and I wonder what the F-82 Twin Mustang is like.

I think from memory there is a review or two on either the Cocardes Site and/or the Site that Serge linked to.  

Otherwise I have one (again somewhere) can dig it out and take photos.  

58 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Kind of tempted to get a P-39, however not sure I'm prepared to trade through Western Union? 

Used to be OK to use in the old Days but don't know nowadays or what the Fees are.  

Hi John,

Do you mean this?

Frog F82G - unidentified manufacturer in USSR, came in bag with no decs.

DSC01601-crop

I used a set of Microscale ones which I suspect are for an earlier model. Canopies not very clear in spite of "Klear" treatment, and it looks a bit "chunky" but it is all there was at the time.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

This kit was not in the FROG catalogs.

Was 50 FROG test mold without box, instructions & decal:

"However, AMT proposed the development of production equipment back in 1967, but then this topic was put off in the back office.  The model received the F405 index, but in the UK they managed to make only about 50 test mold, after which the mold was sold to the Soviet Union.

No FROG boxes and instructions were printed, although the design of the decal was subsequently used by NOVO.  Also, the “Twin Mustang” was missing a stand, which for regular FROG models was a regular attribute (although the cut-out for it was at the bottom of the main drop tank)."

http://retromodels.ru/f405/

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's an interesting list and I wonder what the F-82 Twin Mustang is like.

It's original design  FROG Twin Mustang.

55 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

The Twin Mustang came also from Baku.

Way mold.

FROG (50 mold) => Moscow toy factory "Progress" (about 1000 mold) => Baku toy factory ( main manufacturing) => Rostov on Don ( limited mold after 1991). Current status mold unknown.

I have uncomplete NOVO Twin Mustang with 

defective details of the wings and drop tanks in white plastic. This models it was sold shop in NOVO boxes but without decals. Original NOVO decals was very rare.

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Kind of tempted to get a P-39, however not sure I'm prepared to trade through Western Union? 

If I had the opportunity of international mail, I would simply donate this model, but .....🤗

On 7/26/2019 at 10:16 AM, English Electric said:

Pics to follow tonight after work!

I waiting  see a photo of plastic!

🤔

The problem is that the top photo of the yellow P-39 placed by me in this topic:

is classified as the original FROG! 😉😲

The number of mold of the original FROG is unknown, but apparently they are very rare!  Therefore, it is worth to think before building the P-39 in yellow, what if it is the original FROG? 😉

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Here you go... Laid out on all its glory! 

Also the resin set, and a vac canopy I'd daringly bought as the kit ones are a bit suspect! I'm thinking one oob, and one with all the gubbins... Thoughts? 

Pics are here... Be gentle. First time I've used Flickr... 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/96091509@N04/W9j79X

https://www.flickr.com/gp/96091509@N04/4qFa5B

https://www.flickr.com/gp/96091509@N04/4nt313

https://www.flickr.com/gp/96091509@N04/618zi4

https://www.flickr.com/gp/96091509@N04/8x834F

Best as ever

Chris 

2 hours ago, English Electric said:

First time I've used Flickr... 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry but the photo's don't seem to be working ? 

As people say, "the first pancake is always a bit tricky"

😉

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 1

Hi @English Electric

I use Flickr and had trouble at first. You may have already done this, but assuming you have you pics on Flickr in your 'photostream'...

• Click on the image to get it on your screen by itself.
  • You see the little arrow pointing right in the lower right of the screen? hold your mouse pointer over it, it says 'share photo'.
  • Click the 'arrow pointing off to the right' and it brings up a dialogue box. There are 4 choices; Share, Embed, Email & BBCode. Select 'Share'
  • You get a line of code that looks something like this: https://flic.kr/p/XXXXXXX
  • Copy the code into your thread that you want to post. I sometimes have to press 'return' to make the image appear.

Should work... good luck!

Forgot to say, you probably need to make your pics 'Public' to make them appear here.

Edited by Johnson
More info
  • Like 1

Quick question... I've been hunting for cockpit colours for this - will Humbrol 158 Interior Green do? I know there's considerable debate about the colour of Bell aircraft cockpits, so this seemed like the lowest common denominator.

Started on the pit last night (of the OOB one) - Frog certainly didn't go to town on an interior despite it being a late kit. There's only a seat base and a basic (very) seat. The actual placement of the seat itself is weird too, as it's on a ledge moulded onto the sidewalls but has to be positioned exactly right or its sits too far to one side or the other. 

Overall the detailing is very finely raised, but certainly not very intrusive. I get the feeling that elements of the kit were rushed at the last minute and it could have been neater, but am very very impressed so far. 

On the plus side, the plastic is good to work with unlike some Soviet horrors I'm thinking of (Novoexport anyone?)...

Finally I finished by adding some filler to the wingtip / wing main section joints. Not much needed though, and so far the fit has been good...  Interior spraying tonight. Can't wait to see how this builds with resin and so forth.

best,

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

IPMS Stockholm did a series of articles on US internal colours a few years ago - here is a link.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

You might find it useful. You are correct in saying there is some argument about Bell produced aircraft, with standard cockpit green, bronze green and "Bell Green" listed as possibilities - the article says Bell Green equates to US "Medium Green" They also give details of wheel well colours which include the horizontal part in the wing in Chromate and the rest in a green.

Any problems finding the article give me a shout.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Very interesting and great choice, good luck with your build.  Out of interest what was the link in the early posts which state you do not have permission to view content ? 

Just wondering what I am missing out on 🤭

All the best

Chris

18 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Chris,

IPMS Stockholm did a series of articles on US internal colours a few years ago - here is a link.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

You might find it useful. You are correct in saying there is some argument about Bell produced aircraft, with standard cockpit green, bronze green and "Bell Green" listed as possibilities - the article says Bell Green equates to US "Medium Green" They also give details of wheel well colours which include the horizontal part in the wing in Chromate and the rest in a green.

Any problems finding the article give me a shout.

Pete

You're right, it was a very interesting article... in the end, and keeping with the OOB spirit of this build, I used said Humbrol 158, which looks the part completely. And, being old school Humbrol, it thinned and sprayed beautifully... naturally! Pics to follow tonight now I'm a big boy and can use Flickr.

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very interesting and great choice, good luck with your build.  Out of interest what was the link in the early posts which state you do not have permission to view content ? 

Just wondering what I am missing out on 🤭

All the best

Chris

Lord, nothing at all :) it was just a glitch in the app when posting... just the same pics as came across later!

Should be joining the halves tonight! Fit looks initially really good, so that shouldn't prove to be too much of a trial!

BW

Chris

• Like 1

2019-08-03_11-30-14

2019-08-03_11-32-10

2019-08-03_11-32-34

2019-08-03_11-33-25

2019-08-03_11-33-55

Today's progress... all main assemblies went together pretty well -some filler required but not much!

Looking more like a Matchbox kit than a Frog one though!

Note the empty pit! I was feeling quite pleased with myself at doing a nice job with the Humbrol 158 when I noticed that when the wing fillet is added there's now a glaring patch of mint choc chip green plastic visible at the bottom of the cockpit. Time for the hairy stick and a steady touch up hand!

Note the boxed in wheel wells as well... no detail, but at least Frog were trying to get it better by this point...

• Like 8

On 7/28/2019 at 9:17 AM, Aardvark said:

https://postimages.org/

no?

B.R.

Serge 

So come on Serge, what can you tell me about when my three kits were produced? Genuinely interested...

I think the blue one was first as the mouldings and clear parts are much sharper. Sadly, someone had started it (£1 in the Comet bin) and used it as a paint tester...

Then I think green (which was slightly less sharp...with dodgier clear bits)

and finally flesh … with lots of flash and very dodgy clear bits...

Put the three together and you can get one good one :) as I have I hope...

One weak point on the kit is the nose gear strut... all three had broken examples, so shoring up is required!

C

• Like 2

1 hour ago, English Electric said:

So come on Serge, what can you tell me about when my three kits were produced? Genuinely interested...

I think the blue one was first as the mouldings and clear parts are much sharper. Sadly, someone had started it (£1 in the Comet bin) and used it as a paint tester...

Then I think green (which was slightly less sharp...with dodgier clear bits)

and finally flesh … with lots of flash and very dodgy clear bits...

Put the three together and you can get one good one :) as I have I hope...

One weak point on the kit is the nose gear strut... all three had broken examples, so shoring up is required!

C

Blue & Green nothing extraordinary....but "flash"....on my mobile I see this mould as  pink or pale purple. Maybe this plastic was weathering and fresh he was violet ? Then "the color range of castings of BFI, plastic of a very unusual violet color, the end of the 1980s."

http://retromodels.ru/f415-bell-p-39-airacobra/

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1