Short 184, scratch, 1/48

Dear fellow modellers,

I think it's time for some more british flevor,

Some time ago I happened to visit the site of Large Scale Planes. There I discovered Glenn R's WIP building from scratch, his Short 184 in 1/32.

Later I also saw his model, here on Britmodeller.

I was very impressed by his work, so I found inpsiration trying to build this model but in my

scale: 1/48.

It was quite a challenge for my building skills, but in the end I had learned a lot.

Particulary in making the wings as in Harry Woodman's book.

And of course that rigging...a steady hand and patience and a lot more patience...😀

I used stretched sprue, because until then, I had hardly any experience in working with nylon, fishing line.

I build this model several years ago but I still regards this model as one of my better scratch efforts.

I hope you enjoy the photographs !

With kind regards,

JohnHaa

spacer.png

Unfortunatly I have only a few photographs of the build. Here is one halfway .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 49
  • Thanks 3

Oh wow, that is really something! what an absolutely beautiful example of craftsmanship.

Words almost fail me, stunning. outstanding, no praise is too high.

Gobsmacked beyond belief, :gobsmacked:

John

• Like 2

Back in the 1960’s you could send off to New York for a free Profile.  They sent me (13 year old) the Short 184 one.  I read it and reread it and always thought it would make a cool model.  Oversized wings, radiator hanging out in front of the pilot and huge floats.   Thanks for posting it’s a great scratch build!

There are no words that come to mind that describe what you have accomplished. I can barely build a decent 1/72 injected kit, much less a scratchbuilt biplane on floats- in 1/48 no less! What an incredible model!

Mike

Very nice! I built the Aeroclub one in 1:72 on here a while back and the rigging is indeed a little complicated. You've captured it nicely!

Ian