Avro Anson, civil conversion of Airfix 1/72 kit, second model

I've used other versions of Zap glue, and not had any problems with it not sticking stuff. The only problem I've had was with their Thin version, which just runs everywhere.

Loving the work you're doing, by the way!

Edited by Moonlighter
  • Like 1

I quite regularly (every year or so) chuck superglue away and replace it. I'm always amazed how "super" superglue is when I open a new bottle, which tells me the old one is probably quite far gone by the time I notice it needs replacing. I've heard that storing it in the fridge can extend its shelf life but I'd rather buy on demand because I can get it without a long trek. I recently bought a bottle of "Gators Grip" PVA glue and I find myself increasingly using that instead of superglue for some applications.

The Anson is looking lovely. I'm glad to see the P-E set is proving useful.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded - lovely work.

CA does have a limited life and there's a thread about it here:

Thanks for the link.

I use cyanoacrylate glue regularly, of various types. I have bottles that surely are two or three yeas old , still going strong.

The one that flopped is specific for plastic.

The consensus then seems to be that they do expire.

Thanks everybody for the comments.

• Like 1

I have been playing with the remaining photo-etched parts that make for the front area of the glazing, and found three things:

1) The parts per se are, as usual, great

2) The comprehensive, profusely illustrated, but ultimately convoluted and not well organized instructions gave me -again- a headache.

3) The fit of the parts in this area is noticeably inadequate (all else was OK), and suggests solutions that are impractical (getting, for example, a now OOP Aeroclub clear vacuformed set that may not, -and I am quoting- be useful for the windshield, but may be used for the roof section above it, which has in some sections compound curves, and therefore leaves you with the problem.

The way this is engineered forces a change on the clear plastic I used, from kit's plastic thickness on the sides to very thin on all the front area of the glazing.

The way this is looking, I will need a wood master for that small roof area to vac a clear part on which to lay the P.E. section, trying to make it coincide with the windshield and the side glazing.

I foresee all kinds of fun in my near future.

• Like 3

Two thinner clear front panels were added to the side windows, and now before proceeding with the rest of the complicated solution of the windshield and roof (which will be added later on), masks are applied to protect -hopefully- interior and transparencies from the hardships of puttying, sanding and priming, of which this kit unfortunately needs an awful lot:

IMG_5831+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

On 8/19/2019 at 4:09 AM, Moa said:

3) The fit of the parts in this area is noticeably inadequate (all else was OK), and suggests solutions that are impractical (getting, for example, a now OOP Aeroclub clear vacuformed set that may not, -and I am quoting- be useful for the windshield, but may be used for the roof section above it, which has in some sections compound curves, and therefore leaves you with the problem.

Hi Moa,

Falcon has in one of their RAF sets an Anson canopy of this style. It might be available from Squadron as an individual item under their label?

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi Moa,

Falcon has in one of their RAF sets an Anson canopy of this style. It might be available from Squadron as an individual item under their label?

Cheers,

AaCee

Thanks AaCee

Indeed they do have, for what I can see, a generic bomber set that includes the Anson transparencies, -for the price of a nice kit-. I think I would pass on buying it, since I would have to discard everything but a small section of one part (I don't do military).

I will go it seems the route of the wood master and vacuum-formed part, and pray to Mighty Styrene, Muse of modeling, for a good result.

But the info you contributed may help other modelers in the same quandary.

Cheers

I’ve seen worse, particularly on my workbench. 

as for the superglue I find different glues work with different plastics and materials and I tend to use 4 different ones including zap and lecture. I also use revel contacta liquid and cement, plastic weld and two types of pva as well as double sided sticky tape (  For skinning things)

Edited by Marklo