Avro Anson, civil conversion of Airfix 1/72 kit, second model

Well, work on the second Anson started, and this time the goal is to reproduce a machine used by the London School of Flying, G-AMDA.

The previous experience with the recently posted Anson

should be of help, and an opportunity to improve a thing or two that I missed on that one.

G-AMDA also flew in other guises (Derby Aviation), equally attractive, but the elegant two-tone blue scheme of this one definitely appealed to me.

This airframe needs a few things modified: new clear nose, cowls, landing gear, the addition of a football antenna loop fairing, and other minor details.

An old release:

IMG_1985+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

With documentation!

IMG_1986+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I acquired a set of Eduard masks and a Flightpath photoetched set.
You can see that I have made already the new cowls and gotten new engines:

IMG_4753+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

The turret detail inside the fuselage has been deleted:

IMG_4847+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The other internal details, partitions and locators, were eliminated too:

IMG_4848+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Although a new landing gear is needed, I am dealing anyway with the ejector pin marks on the legs, just in case I may need them at some point in my life:

IMG_4849+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

IMG_4901+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_4902+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The photoetched set is extremely comprehensive, well produced and detailed, but caters mainly for the military version, so most parts will discarded. The US post office managed to mangle the set in spite of the rigid envelope it came in:

IMG_4903+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The effort poured into the instructions is serious and again comprehensive. In spite of all the great graphic material and my many years of modeling experience and my many hundreds of models, many areas are to me still unclear or confusing. I surfed the Net for quite a while without finding any photos of this set being actually built and applied to a model:

IMG_4904+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Moa.
Interested to read your comments above.

I'd hoped to use this same Flightpath set on the Airfix Anson I'm currently building but gave up early on when realizing that it's designed for the inaccuracies and limitations of the kit (at least as far as a Mk.1) Flaps are wrong size, as are the windows, for example. The only bits left in my build as a result are the gorgeous little oil coolers, an adapted IP, a couple of aileron hinges, the rear cabin door and some of the interior ribs for the flaps (which I'm using in longer replacement flaps I've  built.) The rest has gone into the scrap box to be cannibalised. Pity.

I truly hate being negative about a set of PE that is as beautifully produced as this.

The instructions are complex as you say but I did find that they make sense after a bit of playing around with dry fitting the bits concerned: if you need a hand with specific bits, give me a shout by all means.

Tony

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Hi Moa.
Interested to read your comments above.

I'd hoped to use this same Flightpath set on the Airfix Anson I'm currently building but gave up early on when realizing that it's designed for the inaccuracies and limitations of the kit (at least as far as a Mk.1) Flaps are wrong size, as are the windows, for example. The only bits left in my build as a result are the gorgeous little oil coolers, an adapted IP, a couple of aileron hinges, the rear cabin door and some of the interior ribs for the flaps (which I'm using in longer replacement flaps I've  built.) The rest has gone into the scrap box to be cannibalised. Pity.

I truly hate being negative about a set of PE that is as beautifully produced as this.

The instructions are complex as you say but I did find that they make sense after a bit of playing around with dry fitting the bits concerned: if you need a hand with specific bits, give me a shout by all means.

Tony

Hi Tony

You are very gracious, and thanks for the additional notes.

Yes, the flaps are as the kit's, not long enough. In any case, perhaps for me a little of an overkill. I will just resize flaps/ailerons and do a simpler version of the dropped flaps, mayhaps using some bits of the set.

Like you, I will be cannibalizing the unused bits of that set for endeavors to come, no doubt.

Thanks again for the help offered.

Cheers

• Like 3

The window frame is a good fit to the kit. It requires that you fill the gap in the fuselage with rigid clear material, which I have. I will pass, maybe, on redoing the kit's front transparency area, since (my subjective perception) it seems to create more problems than those it solves, with high risk of messing up. So I will only partially be using the provided frames, which, by the way, like any other part in this set are superb, if a tinsy bitsy thin and flimsy for my level of photo-etched handling dexterity, this is good for appearance (more realistic) but makes me frown too much as I handle them (says my wife). The comment is valid only for the window frames, the rest of the parts, being smaller, work perfectly at that thickness).:

IMG_4949+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The task of removing and re-sizing ailerons and flaps is under way:

IMG_4950+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

As you can see I used part of the removed flaps to extend the areas on top that goes immediately above the flap. I will do the flaps with sheet styrene, if simpler no doubt, better for my purposes and with the correct length:

IMG_4951+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

Crikey Moa, you first posted this up on Friday, and it's just Sunday for me, you are really cracking on with this one, I'm struggling to get much modelling time at the moment, but will try very hard to keep up

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graeme H said:

Crikey Moa, you first posted this up on Friday, and it's just Sunday for me, you are really cracking on with this one

Hi Graeme

Time flows differently in California.  We have 150-day weeks. We can cram many years in one year. The last two, for example, already feel like a (heavy) century (provided you have a brain and/or a heart).

But, as in The Life of Brian: "Look on the bright side of life". Time flows so (painfully) slowly that you can make many models.

Cheers

• Haha 6

Flying along here Moa, great work as usual.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:56 PM, Moa said:

A clear part is vacuformed with the plug to match photos of this airframe:

Can i ask, what thickness clear did you use?

Stuart

• Like 1

This looks like another Moa special in the making. I'm looking forward to seeing you work your magic on it. You just can't beat a thread where an old inaccurate kit is given a major update and left with a smile on its face!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Can i ask, what thickness clear did you use?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I have been using my Mattel Psychedelic Machine for many years. I bought it with its original supply of styrene sheets, which soon run out at the pace I build and scratchbuild.

I managed to find a vendor (Mike Damen) that made a similar product that I used for a time to good results, but he went out of business later on.

I still have the color sheets, but had none of the clear ones. I tried all the suppliers of alternate sheets you see online and none worked well. Some didn't work at all.

Finally I gnashed my teeth and bought an original Mattel clear package of 16 sheets for an unfairly high price on ebil bay (my son did, actually, since I don't do ebil bay or fakebook).

These were produced by Mattel in the 60s in Hawthorne, California a 30-minute drive down the hill from where I live.

So I am using original thickness as provided by the manufacturer, which, to answer to your question, is not stated in the package, nor is it known to me. My guess would .015 of an inch, as these troglodytes here count.

48397088482_da2ebd689e_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Moa

Great work so far on the Anson, this is going to be good.  The Anson is a lovely machine.   I have been a bit busy lately with work, the house and family etc and doing a GB to get onto this part of the forum so must go and catch up with your HP42 .

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Moa

Great work so far on the Anson, this is going to be good.  The Anson is a lovely machine.   I have been a bit busy lately with work, the house and family etc and doing a GB to get onto this part of the forum so must go and catch up with your HP42 .

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris, nice to hear from you. Don't let life interfere with this metaphysical activity of ours 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found a suitable Aeroclub football antenna. Thanks to @John Aero for having made those available at the time!Those accessories keep rescuing my builds:

IMG_4996+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The position of the seats, control columns and inst. panel is inaccurate in the kit, but I will used the platform provided. A cabin floor was cut from styrene sheet:

IMG_4997+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Do you solder these things, or CA glue them? 

Just CA glue.

There are three (ahem, may be a lot more...) shortcomings I suffer as a modeler: I don't do resin molds/copies, I don't solder, and I don't have/don't know how to use a lathe.

All those would have been extremely useful many, many times.

I have done very occasionally the first two. It's a pain in the exhaust pipe.

Cheers

• Like 3