Hasegawa 1/48 J7W1Shinden Landing Gear

walkerccw

I just tried to complete the Hasegawa 1/48 Shinden. The fit was good until I got to the landing gear. Even without weight in the nose 3 of the landing gear was a horrible fit. The gear either kept bending forward or backward. I got so frustrated I tossed the kit away.

If I build another one, does anyone have recommendations that I can use to strengthen the landing gear. I am a novice builder so keep that in mind!

Thanks.

I have an ancient 1/48th Hasegawa version in the stash. It may get built some day. The info about the landing gear is good to know.

Of course, there's always the 'SkyCrawlers' version (Sanka Mk B to build, if you can find one.

https://www.modelbuffs.com/mpm/uploadsm3v2/Sanka-MkB-4-Model.jpg

Take a couple of minutes to watch this. The anime can get a bit boring in places but I think the flying sequences are very well done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10wV05aNu9o

I built a Shinden in 48 from Hase, the landing gear is spindly and will brake if too much weight is added. What I did was to let the glue dry properly before adding twi small wooden pega at the base to stop the struts from going forward.

This problem is not specific to the Shinden.  Quite a number of models have very weak landing gear attachments. My general approach to strengthening the landing gear joint is the following: Drill a small hole in the end of the gear (appr. 0.5 mm) with a hand tool (e.g. Dremel). Be careful to drill as vertically as possible and not too deep - 1.5 mm is sufficient. To center the drill I first make a small indent with a needle and the drill will bite easier. Only drill in short bursts and watch the plastic - some melts very quickly due to the friction heat. Then do the same in the wheel well where the gear leg is supposed to join. Here you can drill deeper since you break trough into the wing anyway. With superglue attach a piece of wire in the hole of the gear. The wire should fit the hole, be strong but still a bit flexible. Cut the wire to the desired length before entering the other end into the wheel well hole. Again superglue - slow drying - and bent a bit until the gear looks right. Done.

With a little practice the procedure is quicker than it reads. It always worked for me. You may want to test it on a surplus gear.

Cheers, Michael

Well it's done. I put a small cube of plastic strip in the bay in front of the main gear leg hole using superglue throughout. Followed by the main gear leg, The the retraction strut, then the small outer door wedged into the small gap tight against the leg. Finally I wedged the top of the leg door into the gap between the leg and the outer door, and glued the other end the the leg by the axle. I let the superglue dry between each stage. It's a firm as I can get it, but it will travel and be stored on it's back.

On 26/07/2019 at 09:28, Toryu said:

This problem is not specific to the Shinden.  Quite a number of models have very weak landing gear attachments. My general approach to strengthening the landing gear joint is the following: Drill a small hole in the end of the gear (appr. 0.5 mm) with a hand tool (e.g. Dremel). Be careful to drill as vertically as possible and not too deep - 1.5 mm is sufficient. To center the drill I first make a small indent with a needle and the drill will bite easier. Only drill in short bursts and watch the plastic - some melts very quickly due to the friction heat. Then do the same in the wheel well where the gear leg is supposed to join. Here you can drill deeper since you break trough into the wing anyway. With superglue attach a piece of wire in the hole of the gear. The wire should fit the hole, be strong but still a bit flexible. Cut the wire to the desired length before entering the other end into the wheel well hole. Again superglue - slow drying - and bent a bit until the gear looks right. Done.

With a little practice the procedure is quicker than it reads. It always worked for me. You may want to test it on a surplus gear.

Cheers, Michael

Hi Michael, when drilling plastics I prefer to use a pinvice this will stop the plastic melting. Easier to get holes where you want them too

Just my way of doing it

All the best 

Steve

• Like 1

Hello all,

I built the Hasegawa 1/48 scale Shinden a couple of years ago. Shinden is a challenging subject as the wheels are way forward of the landing gear attaching points. The modeller has to be patient and allow the landing gear to dry completely. I used MEK for my model and it stood in a jig for couple of days to dry. The "harder" the glue the longer the drying time. I think CA glues could be a good approach here.

The landing gear is still rather flimsy. It is (at least in theory) possible to drill a hole in to the landing gear leg and insert a piece of thin steel rod to give it more strength.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

I  built mine in 2001.  I did not add any extra support, nor did I pin the legs and it is still holding up perfectly.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Now don't get me started on the Scratchbuilders 1/32 Shinden.  It came with white metal legs and after a week it looked like Bambi on ice.

Cheers

Randy 

• Like 6

That is a very nice Shinden Randy!

The green colour looks like a good match for the colour research conducted and published by Robert Mikeshi at NASM. I've been wondering why the colour in the real thing looks completely different though. To my eye it is a dark blue-green; not an olive green...

Cheers,

Antti