Polishing Alclad?

Freecloud

Hi guys, I've just used Alclad Airframe Aluminum over Alclad gloss black for the first time &, also, first time using an airbrush too. I don't think I've made too bad a job if it, even though I say it myself but, there's a couple of spots that aren't as 'polished' as I'd like due, I think, to a slight lack of prep' on my part on those areas, ie: using polishing paste & finisher. I think I might not have got it quite as smooth as the rest. So guys, my big question is.... Is it ok to use fine polishing paste followed by finisher to give it a shine or maybe follow it up with another spray of Alclad Airframe Aluminium on top of the aforementioned polishing process. Not sure which way to go with it as I don't want to spoil something that I am, to be honest, quite pleased & proud of, especially as I haven't done modelling for nearly fifty years, add to that the fact that I'm on the bottom rungs of the airbrush ladder/learning curve. I'd be grateful for any advice from you more experienced modellers. For the record, my buld is a P51d Mustang/Roscoe Brown/Bunnie. Many thanks in advance & regards to all. 

Edited by Freecloud
Spelling correction.

My first question is, do you need to "fix" this? Living with the issue would be easiest. :shrug: I have several "could have done a better job" models from earlier on. Not that I'm anywhere near perfect today. :whistle:

If you do try to refinish, expect to recoat with Alclad as lacquer paints are quite thin. Make sure you don't create hard paint edges. That is, feather your polishing to make it as uniform as possible with gradual changes between original and refinished areas or you will see those hard paint edges. This also applies to repainting. Don't just shoot paint in the one area, you'll need to feather paint application too.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks dnl42 fir those pearls of wisdom indeed & I think you are right in saying "do you need to fix this". I'm what you might call somewhat 'obsessed' with getting things right (must be the ocd in me) that it 'pesters' my head & get a little unsure in my direction but, now I've read your comment on this, I do feel way better about how it is. Thanks so much fir that advice. Best regards to you. 

On 25/07/2019 at 16:57, dnl42 said:

My first question is, do you need to "fix" this? Living with the issue would be easiest. :shrug: I have several "could have done a better job" models from earlier on. Not that I'm anywhere near perfect today. :whistle:

If you do try to refinish, expect to recoat with Alclad as lacquer paints are quite thin. Make sure you don't create hard paint edges. That is, feather your polishing to make it as uniform as possible with gradual changes between original and refinished areas or you will see those hard paint edges. This also applies to repainting. Don't just shoot paint in the one area, you'll need to feather paint application too.

Well.........., I've tried this....., I tried that......, and wish I kinda hadn't really. Got to the point where I sprayed Alclad polished aluminum over Alclad polished aluminum & it looks dull unpolished aluminum. Luckily, it's only four individual panels which will have decals over the top so, I suppose, it won't look too bad. Lessons to be learned here so I'll move on & do the yellow stripes on the wings & 'live' with it, as you first suggested. (Damn my OCD) 🙄, nevertheless, I'll procede with caution & carry on with the rest of the build & weathering etc. Hopefully it won't turn out too bad & it'll be one of those, which you so eloquently describe as a, "could have done a better job". If I do another P51d Mustang, at least I'll know for next time. Reflecting on your comment, thanks again. Regards. 😉

Here's a recent one I'm living with. The kit was quite old, and 2 of the decals would just not lay down. My week-long attempt to get the decals to lay down only made them worse.

snj-decal4.jpg

Saddest of all, I did actually think about painting those stripes instead of using the decals. There's another life lesson, listen to that little nagging voice before it's too late...

Standing far enough away, I am happy with the result

snj-done0.jpg

Hi dnl42...., the 'dreaded' decal, ahh yes I remember those, forty eight years ago with the Airfix models. Had a few problems with them too but, todays standards are better, or so I've been reading. But, yes there are occasions when they just wouldn't work for some reason. Your model does look good though, I must say. Agree too that I'll stand back & won't notice too much in the way of a screw up when I've completed it. When it's finished I'll put up a photo for your more experienced eye to check it out. Got the wing stripes to do tomorrow, followed by the 'bits & bobs', ie: exhausts, prop' & undercarriage. 

I think that when we look at our own work, we tend to see all the little mistakes & magnify them. I certainly do, but that's just me. 

As I've said before, I've not built or painted a model plane since I was probably about fourteen & a lot has changed since then in the world of models, especially the quality & number of parts in a kit....,and.., there's so much choice too. 

My next build will be a Tamiya Spitfire mk1 which my daughter bought me for fathers day so I hope I'll be able to do it justice. 

The canopy on your model looks great, bet that took some doing too. 

Anyway, thanks for sharing your pic' of your work mate, very much appreciate it. Good luck to you. 

Regards. 

Hi mate, done the stripes & 'bits & bobs', the first coat of 'Pledge' goes on tomorrow so that'll start the sealing process before I make my very first attempt at weathering a model, I hope that goes well, especially as I've been watching so many YouTube vids on the subject. 

I've been reading quite a lot on Alclad Airframe Aluminum &, so it seems, I'm not the only one who's had trouble with it. Should have 'sealed' it before doing other masking/painting, so that, in itself, would explain a lot..., oh well, plod on & we'll see how it turns out. 

By the way, what is the colour name & make of the 'aluminum' on your model as it looks so good & smooth, just wondered what you used there. 

Keep you posted, regards. 

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.pngWell for better or worse, warts & all here she is. First build & paint in forty eight years & never used an airbrush before.... Never weathered either so, in truth, it's hiding a multitude of sins & cock-ups. I think that I couldn't have chosen a worse first model due to learning airbrushing, especially with Alclad airframe aluminium. However, I'm going to call this my 'practice' piece in readiness for my next build. I welcome your honest constructive criticism, advice & opinions. Best Regards. 😉spacer.png

Edited by Freecloud
Spelling correction.