Mirage F1 CR 1/48 - finished :)

exdraken

Dear all,

I decided yesterday to try a quick build here... it is a sharkmouth, no? so hope it counts!

that is what I have:

Italeri Mirage F1 in 1/48 with mission mark decals (unfortuantely out of production.. )

I want to do Mirage F1 CR  118-NQ that took part in Balic Air Policing missions in 2013

a4LCRWx.jpg

lots of aftermarket stuff, only som of it will/can be used here:

OlJfrVZ.jpg

this is the nice sharkmouth and Iraqi banana tank:

q0rMRmM.jpg

iGQ9KyG.jpg

24539_1390505379.jpg

https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/3/24539_1390505379.jpg

hope it turns out in time!

cheers,

Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 8

On 7/28/2019 at 2:15 PM, Basilisk said:

A great choice with some nice resin stuff thrown in the build :thumbsup: I hope you can pull it of to finish it in five weeks.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks,  I do hope so!

not much was done during the weekend though.... some trying to fit the cockpit and front wheelbay - read the instructions before cutting plastic!!!! :banghead:the rear cockpit wall should have stayed....

and paintwork of course has not finished yet! and better pictures would hav been nice as well..... oh well ;)

KaRclxw.jpg

but if you do everything as it was supposed to be, fit is actually good!

J2qtN6U.jpg

a bit better photo, how everything could look like closed:

O8jAwPL.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You’ve got further in four days than I did in probably four months ( can’t remember why I didn’t finish it now ).

Good luck.

John

thanks! and modelling spirit to you and your builds!

some base paint on the nozzle, the many actuators still need to be mounted (wire cut inmdividually to length in this case)

tySeB15.jpg

NLtClTo.jpg

fit looks good:

UCLKtLq.jpg

and fuselage is closed :)

kgaVrMX.jpg

not that straight forward with all the resin in there as it would be without, but any gaps will be dealt with with superglue, filler and some sandpaper :) :)

a Mirage is a Mirage - that means it already looks good! - already at this stage ;) 

• Like 4

some more photos of MY plane found:

form here:

https://www.aereo.jor.br/2013/05/17/mirage-f1-no-baltico-primeiro-desdobramento-de-siauliai-para-kaunas/

photos: Armée de l'Air

Jatos-Mirage-F1CR-franceses-desdobram-se

Jatos-Mirage-F1CR-franceses-desdobram-se

9561154857_5cf5e16603_b.jpg

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3741/9561154857_5cf5e16603_b.jpg

9568688827_643a1e3ca3_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3725/9568688827_643a1e3ca3_b.jpg

nose fitted, pointy end adjusted.. - the Italeri to use a badly shaped cone and an even worse pitot incl rest of cone solution is semi-optimal... probably still easier to make right than the KH banana nose.....

UeRqsdb.jpg

Pawla intakes done, - they fit wonderfuly!

OalLeid.jpg

glimpse of things to come

:dFDNpnG.jpg

engine cowling and nozzle fits :)

some ECM equipment (Barax and Phimat) put on for show :)

by the way, any idea on how to improve the camera blister? Italeri does not even provide the glass..... :(

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

Excellent choice of build and brave trying to complete it in such a short time. Nice set of extras too. I have the same kit with some extra resin bits, so I'll be keeping an eye on this as you've already pointed out things that I would not have even thought about.

I didn't know that there was a problem with the nose for starters. How exactly did you fix it? Then I have a resin cockpit but I don't know what type and now know that it will dictate whether I build a CT or CR - although I would ideally like a C as I try to build as close to as per 1987 as possible (weird I know).

Interesting to see your addition of actuators to the exhaust too. I have the AML exhaust and again didn't know that it was missing actuators. Might be too fiddly for me though!

Lastly, those decals look very nice. Such a shame Mission Marks are no longer in business. Fancied their Italian Tornado decals too.

Anyway, good luck with your build and I look forward to your progress.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Filler said:

I didn't know that there was a problem with the nose for starters. How exactly did you fix it? Then I have a resin cockpit but I don't know what type and now know that it will dictate whether I build a CT or CR - although I would ideally like a C as I try to build as close to as per 1987 as possible (weird I know).

Interesting to see your addition of actuators to the exhaust too. I have the AML exhaust and again didn't know that it was missing actuators. Might be too fiddly for me though!

Lastly, those decals look very nice. Such a shame Mission Marks are no longer in business. Fancied their Italian Tornado decals too.

Anyway, good luck with your build and I look forward to your progress.

The nose itself has no problem.. it parts are badly molded and the tip needs to be glued on.... with very bad fit.... I'm still not 100% satisfied

The C cockpit was closer to the CT than the CR, it also had a round radar scope on the upper right

The AML exhaust has wire included to do the actuators :)

Mission mark is out of business, not sure if those links still work:

http://www.missionmarkdecals.com/decals.html

Italeri just released the kit again, with the big Iraqi banana tank and decals for the retirement schemes :) look very nice!

https://www.italeri.com/prodotto/2819

xhr7vu9aNuGSXto0wiBIkqIOm9mzww0ZgvJW1PHd

SLofXxGSWoHiVtr4ISFV78rQX7HFCen0pAucnbzz

maybe you are interested!

some updates on my build:

r6gAj7q.jpg

paint work, and some AirScale instruments

OUuOlel.jpg

lIj4QsH.jpg

XudqkjD.jpg

cheers!

• Like 4

no time to loose, so I keep on doing stuff:

actually, I do have loads of stuff for Italeri F1s, but have done only one, many years ago in a black special scheme... :(

so I actually have to figure out what needs to be done here....

this is a bit of work on the camera window :

NOIsMoK.jpg

better than the plain one I'd say

padOUOW.jpg

also a landing light needs to be drilled! that would pop out when landing. still need to find a lens.... ;) 

then I improved the cannon throughs a bit in making them deeper. attention, the CR only has he port one left! (the CT the starboard one.....) at least they have one!!

the canon is from Renaissance flight and look really goof I think!

Jla9X6I.jpg

5SHJhp0.jpg

maybe I can get my camera to focus on that properly later ;)

• Like 3

front canopy glued on,

main one bathed in future, 

reference book found in bookshelf!!! :banghead: - it is great by the way and has all the detail shots I am searching on the net.... at the flick of a page.....

S5lVIhO.jpg

and masked

hP4cmHn.jpg

Wings are also mounted by the way!

Next stop -paintshop ? Let's see!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 5

That's coming along very nicely. I looked at my kit and I see that the camera blister for the CR is very basic, and you've done a great job adding the detail. And I can see what you were saying about the nose - it's a bit unnecessarily complicated with the tip being separate. The Pavla intakes look like they fit really well. Good stuff!

Nice work Exdraken. I’ve been thinking about a 1/48 Mirage F1 for a while but put off by the available kits - seeing what you’re doing with this kit is inspiring me to think again.

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Nice work Exdraken. I’ve been thinking about a 1/48 Mirage F1 for a while but put off by the available kits - seeing what you’re doing with this kit is inspiring me to think again.

Kinetic is rumored to bring one.... when? Better? What versions? Knowbody knows.....

I personally think currently Resin and some Esci/ Italeri plastic is still better in shape and scale than KH.... but some impressive KH models are out there!

Which version would you fancy?

• Like 2

I have a few questions about cockpits. The main difference I can see between the cockpits is that the F.1 CT has a round display in the top right and the CR has a square display in the top right. Do the various resin cockpits reflect these differences or are they all based on one version? Also, some appear to feature a rubber shroud attached to these displays which I have seen in some photos of F.1s but not all. And finally, I think that due to my preference for the period 1986 to 1989 I think that I would be looking at an F.1C or F.1C 200 and were the cockpits in those much different to the CT?

Sorry to ask so many questions but, you do know a lot about the Mirage F.1

5 hours ago, Filler said:

I have a few questions about cockpits. The main difference I can see between the cockpits is that the F.1 CT has a round display in the top right and the CR has a square display in the top right. Do the various resin cockpits reflect these differences or are they all based on one version? Also, some appear to feature a rubber shroud attached to these displays which I have seen in some photos of F.1s but not all. And finally, I think that due to my preference for the period 1986 to 1989 I think that I would be looking at an F.1C or F.1C 200 and were the cockpits in those much different to the CT?

Sorry to ask so many questions but, you do know a lot about the Mirage F.1

depends!

CT and C are very similar, the CT planes are former C 200 ones....

Pavla has a C model cockpit with the shroud

http://www.pavlamodels.cz/katalogy/detail.php?k=cockpits&c=C48022&styl=styly.css

C48022_1.jpg

I am doing the Fonderie Minature one, that looks like the CR instrument panel with the square screen.

r6gAj7q.jpg

then there is one from Neomega here you can chose your screen and shroud (fit ios GREAT by the way!)

https://www.neomega-resin.com/148th-mirage-f1-cfcr-156-p.asp

1-48th-mirage-f1-cf-cr-%5B2%5D-156-p.jpg

YAHU provides on the PE, pre painted and very nice, for the desired version, without shroud:

YMA4850-Mirag-F1-etyk.jpg

YMA4851-Mirage-F.1-CR-etyk.jpg

there is some more out there....

Eduard PE, most likely fits the KH kit better, out of production, both versions

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Photo-etched-parts/Photo-etched-set/Aircraft/Mirage-F-1CT-CR-interior-S-A-1-48.html?lang=1

Cobra Company, most likey hard to get has a dedicated CR IP:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cobra-company-48030-dassault-mirage-f1cr--122617

hope this helps!

cheers!

Werner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

painting has started this week :) :)

the tank and pylons are in a very light grey, bottom is a darker grey, and the top camouflage is a dark/ near gunship grey. the green is still missing. MIssion mark decals give shades,  but I am using mostly Revell enamel colors.....

Grey 371 approx for the tank, grey 374 for the aircraft underside, and 378 for the top grey.

lRWX1ER.jpg

6fhAgtj.jpg

htwZVrz.jpg

C85YHzn.jpg

of course in different lightning conditions look is different

and some white worms:

0sUyrDZ.jpg

39Umko4.jpg

• Like 2