Tips for Aircraft modelling after coming from WWII Armour

prichardson140

Decided after a few years of AFV modelling ( mainly WWII ) to have a change and try aircraft .

Starting with 1/48 scale Tamiya  61117 Messerschmitt BF-109 G6 having listened to peoples views on suggested scales ( given my background is 1/35 armour) , but now interested to hear if there are any tips on how making aircraft kits differ from armour.

Ultimately I make models for myself, and don't display or show the finished result outside of my man cave, so accuracy is less of an issue to me than getting enjoyment from the build process.

My current build process for a tank would be similar to below ( but not rigidly adhered to)

Assemble kit but leave external accessories such as pioneer tools off

prime

paint

gloss coat

decals

hand paint accessories and fix to kit

gloss coat

weathering  ( washes, pigments )

Matt coat

Edited by prichardson140
Additional info

It's probably the weathering stage where you might want to take things easy. There are several extreme situations where planes can get like 'tank-filthy', but over the whole that's relatively uncommon. spacer.png

The biggest difference in build order is you need to do most of the detail building and painting first, in the cockpit assembly mainly but also places like wheel wells and, in the case of the kit you've chosen, the engine. Then you need to mask it all off while you prime and paint the exterior (your usual workflow here).

IMHO, one thing You should avoid adding to an aircraft model is mud.

Unlike on tanks, mud can be a serious interference to operation of an aircraft landing gear, and is thus promptly removed from wheels / struts / wheel-wells, whenever it is noticed by the ground crew.

Paint chipping is also a "less-is-more" deal with aircraft.

(There are exceptions, of course, such as late-war IJA/IJN aircraft, where primer was not used and paint chipped in large chunks).

Regards,

Aleksandar

2 hours ago, prichardson140 said:

Starting with 1/48 scale Tamiya  61117 Messerschmitt BF-109 G6

I suspect the biggest issue will be the camouflage,  as the great majority of G-6 schemes will involve mottling.

This is a lot less random that it might casually appear,  and is directly related to the factory that built the aircraft! 

see here

http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/2013/10/chosing-correct-wingpattern-for-bf109g-6.html

This came up in this thread

but this also has some useful period colour shots of bf109's which are very useful for getting an idea of the feel of the airframes appearance.

You may want to specify which scheme you are wishing to build, unlike armour,  in many case the schemes in a kit are reasonably well documented, and the photos are about online, which is great for pinning down these kind of details.

These two are reall;y worth close study

1.jg52_wh10.3.jpg&key=78f25484e96052d844

note that while most of the mottle is 74/75, compare to wings, there are also spots of 02 and 70, look by the lead hanging down from cockpit, and compare engine bearers, 02, and prop blades, 70.

Some exhaust staining, some foot wer on root, but otherwise very clean, and in good condition. '

42632603320_6ed117f3b6_o.jpg&key=4cb2580

captured, in particular note generally good condition of paint, but that it has s light eggshell/satin sheen. look at the light in the bulge and behind the canopy, and this is bright Mediterranean sun.

Also not how small and subtle the panel lines are, the shape and colour of the exhaust stain (which gets cleaned off)

2 hours ago, prichardson140 said:

prime

paint

gloss coat

decals

hand paint accessories and fix to kit

gloss coat

weathering  ( washes, pigments )

Matt coat

You may only need to go straight to a matt coat, (bear in mind my comments on sheen) but I's suggest adding oil stains and pigments (good for exhaust)onto the matt coat, 

Also, re panel lines and washes, less is more, try using grey or a darker version of the top coast, and only use a dark wash for control surfaces.

I [shock horror] actually completed a model this year,   brush painted, but I was quite happy with the washes and weathering,  and I tried to show comparison pics for what I was trying to achieve, which may be of use?

if this all new, maybe get a cheaper kit to practice the paint methods.

My final point (despite my build link :rolleyes: )  there are lots of trends in model painting,  and you only need a brief search to see this, overdone pre post shading,  black panel line washes,  what would be a new aircraft looking like it's been left in the pacific sun for 5 years etc etc. 

The thing is to study the real thing, or good photos,  look at how they weather,  how the airflow makes exhaust and oil stains, and that they need to be clean to work properly,  so with a few exceptions, they are well maintained,  so before a mission it looks very different to after.

Apologies if stating the blinkin' obvious,  and do ask abot the aircraft you would like to model.

HTH

• Like 2

My final point (despite my build link  )  there are lots of trends in model painting,  and you only need a brief search to see this, overdone pre post shading,  black panel line washes,  what would be a new aircraft looking like it's been left in the pacific sun for 5 years etc etc. 

The thing is to study the real thing, or good photos,  look at how they weather,  how the airflow makes exhaust and oil stains, and that they need to be clean to work properly,  so with a few exceptions, they are well maintained,  so before a mission it looks very different to after.

That is the best advice. Don't always copy other modellers. Well OK some of them. Overweathering is a common mistake. Oil stains where no oil exists. Metallic chipping on fabric covered parts and wooden propellers and in completely inappropriate places. Over the top wear and tear.

Use photos if you can but don't make the mistake of interpreting black and white photos incorrectly or relying on  period colour photos too literally. 

A nicely painted very lightly weathered aircraft is a good start. After all it was like for at least the first week of its life. Many didn't last a week. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1