F192 Bf109F ++Finished++

John

I'd promised myself I wasn't going to add anything else to this build but this one has a special place in my modelling memory. 

I got this kit in a Humbrol Make'N'Paint set in the very early 1970s. The kit came in a Humbrol branded box with a tube of Britfix 77, a Humbrol paint brush and, I think, 6 glass vials of Humbrol enamel. I think it only had paints to do the North African version but I can't be completely sure.

In any event I remember being delighted with the finished product and, since it's come back to my mind I really feel I should acknowledge the fun that I had with this kit all those years ago. 

Interestingly Scalemates doesn't record these boxings. Apart from the 109 I think there was the Hurricane IIc and the P-40B. There may have been others but I can't confirm that. 

Humbrol-maken-paint-kit-Curtiss-p40-toma

More when I get back home from Leeds, by which time I hope the kit will have turned up. 

John 

• Like 7

Well done John this is a new one to me, but every days a school day !

If these are missing from Scalemates, take some pictures and add them. I have added some kits over the years, the more people that contribute the more comprehensive it becomes.

Look forward to seeing the kit when you get home.

I would be torn between the 2 options the desert one looks the business but having read his book the Galland one might win out !

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

So, having returned from the stifling heat of Leeds to the much cooler climes of Falkirk, here's the 109:

Still in its plastic wrapping with an historic price tag:

John

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Summer has arrived in the West Highland, today's torrential rain, felt much warmer than normal  :raincloud:

And tomorrow winter returns...

I love Scotland!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, as a child of 1960s Scottish council housing I can't sleep in a warm bedroom so at least I've caught up with my rest ❄

I don't propose to do too much with this or the Meteor meantime beyond checking the parts, until I've made a bit more progress with the ones I've already started. 

John 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's have a wee look in the box. I don't remember FROG kits being shrink-wrapped, but as I've mentioned before I didn't see that many of them when they were available. Anyway, my Humbrol-boxed Bf109F was moulded in FROG standard light grey plastic. This one...isn't:

Who in their right minds mould 109s in black?

On the plus side the transfer sheet looks good:

Oh well, better get priming...

John

• Like 5

It must have been produced for some satanic modelling clubs for their full moon meetings... Why didn't you think of that?

As you say, a few liters of primer should sort things out! And if it ends up looking like a Friedrich, then it is iOK.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi John,

Decals look Ok though a bit out of register perhaps unfortunately if they turn out to be duds I do not have any spares, but there are plenty of generic decs around for both the Galland and Marseilles machines, and somebody else might have a Frog set spare.

Best of luck.

Pete.

• Like 1

This kit stirs memories, I made it a long time ago.

Just checked Scalemates, it was the 'hang pack'. Happy days. Don't ever remember black plastic though.

Might even have some decals lurking

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

I don't remember FROG kits being shrink-wrapped, but as I've mentioned before I didn't see that many of them when they were available

FROG seem to have started shrink-wrapping boxes when the Type H (this type) came in in 1974.

• Thanks 2

There's no doubt that the black plastic shows up the fine lines of the 109F very well, but it's terrible to work with:

I painted the inside Humbrol 67, although that's probably a bit redundant.

John

• Like 6

16 hours ago, John said:

There's no doubt that the black plastic shows up the fine lines of the 109F very well, but it's terrible to work with

Perfectly camouflaged! :) (against the keyboard)

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, John said:

As an aside, here's an interesting thing:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-congost-messerschmitt-bf-109f--1165032

Scalemates seem to have it as a rebox of the ancient Revell 109E, but it's clearly not that. I don't think Revell ever reboxed this kit in Europe?

John

Congost are reputedly the only Revell subsidiary to have issued the FROG Bf 109F and FW 190A.

• Like 2

That's a bit more like it. I was in Hobbycraft yesterday so I picked up Humbrol 248 and 249 RLM 78 and 79 which I've applied in a thin coat over a base of Humbrol Hu10.

I downloaded Eduard's instructions for their Bf109F with desert camouflage, which is extremely helpful. One of their examples of "14" has the area under the nose painted yellow, so that's what I've done too.

• Like 8

Theatre markings applied:

The white is a mix of Humbrol 28 and 34, in about 1/3rd - 2/3rds. It still looks white but it's vastly easier to brush paint and covers very well.

John 

• Like 7