Leyland National - Peco 1/76 - London Transport

Hello all,

First WIP on here, so please be gentle! I've only recently gotten back into plastic modelling after spending my 20s in the wilderness. A model railroader at heart, I find the hobby is too much about just buying pre-made, pre-weathered stock these days, so very little creativity, so I'm turning my hand to plastic modelling instead.

I stumbled upon the Peco Leyland National kit at the York model railway show this year and it seemed like an easy starter kit. Formerly a Tower Models sculpt I believe, it is a very basic kit - the interior has block solid seats and a basic driver's position, but little else.

spacer.png

I decided the interior needed some work to make the project worthwhile, so found a cheap pack of seated 00 gauge passengers, who actually fit perfectly into the seats:

spacer.png

Assembly required pretty much immediate glazing of the large windows, so I have decided to pre-paint the exterior before assembly to avoid having to use up all of my masking tape. I'm also gathering interior photos where I can, to plan some more detail that I can include.

• Like 3

Here is a standard NBC interior shot.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-basic-interior-of-a-leyland-national-showing-the-nbc-moquette-47661907.html

If doing the kit in NBC red, I would recommend the following Halfords or Hycote (which is cheaper but as good) spray paint Ford Sunburst Red.

Edited by Yorkshire man
Additional info.

Thanks for the image links. I'm going for classic London Transport red (as those are the decals the kit came with) and I have a Phoenix enamel which I am going to try brush painting (the budget for an airbrush is still awaiting approval...)

So I hit the outside with primer, in my high-tech spray booth:

spacer.png

Plus it has now had two coats of London Bus red:

spacer.png

Not perfect, but I know it can take two or three coats to get reds smooth. I'm going to put the front door in yellow as seemed to be standard.

• 2 weeks later...