M47 Patton tank “AZDAJA” - Dragon from Croatia - weathering

Hello folks, inspired by my friend Francis who recently built an M47 Patton, I decided to present the Croatian Balkan War version called “AZDAJA”, that means “DRAGON”.

Look the real tank...these are the only two photos about AZDAJA that I found. Note that the tank does not have the headlights: and have the T80E1 links....

spacer.png

spacer.png

For this project I will use the M47 Patton from Italeri, kit number 6447, and I will added a set of photo-etched and resin parts from DEF Model, code 35024, plus the set of metal tracks T80E1 type from Fruilmodel, code ATL-145, and decals from Star Decals 35-C 1085 M47 Patton Balkan War and Peace.

spacer.png

I agree with the others modellers that despite its age, this M47 is one of the best kit produced by Italeri, and it is a great platform for improvements.

Well, first I assembled the bottom of the hull, the rolling train, I added some missing bolts (only 68) in the most notorious parts of the supports of the oscillating arms:

spacer.png

Then, I added casting detail and foundry numbers in the hull and turret, and I replaced the support for the .50 machine gun and added rear lubrication points too:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After that, I scratchbuild seven triangular hooks and added more 4 bolts over the rear plate, plus I made corrections in the gun lock:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all for now...

Edited by Carius
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

A new little update, I have almost completed the turret with small details and I added  the new hatch springs. Soon I will start working with resin and photo etched parts...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

Many thanks folks.

Jeff, I added foundry numbers in the hull and turret, numbers from Voyager photo etched set "letters  and figures". Adding the bolts and numbers was a very tedious job indeed :sleeping: , but essential IMHO.

Cheers Jeff

Hi Cesar,

Lately I don't come to the forum just now, but I've seen your post, and I liked it a lot.

"Hello folks, inspired by my friend Francis who recently built an M47 Patton, I decided to present the Croatian Balkan War version called" AZDAJA ", that means" DRAGON "...."

By chance that friend "Francis", won't it be me? ...:huh: I hope so ... :D

From what I see, it will be a great job, and with your skills and the chosen material, it will be a winner.:worthy:

I want to change my tracks to my M47, which are what the kit brought, and they were in a frankly regrettable state ...:rage:

Cheers Carius.:thumbsup:

Many thanks Nick.

Cheers from Brazil.

Hello Francis,

Glad to see you here again. Yes my friend, you and your M47 are my inspiration :thumbsup:. I really hope to do a good job and tank at the end.

Certainly change the tracks from your M47 is a great idea.

I thank your kind words.

Cheers :cheers:

Edited by Carius

Hi all,

Like I said, I brought aftermarket upgrade sets, like DEF Model 35024 and a set of Friulmodel tracks. I really liked the DEF accessories, all parts are excellent, indeed.

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

More progress, folks...

I fixed the rear plate and added two tow cables holders plus serial numbers on the phone box. I have also added the new taillights suports and two pairs of external bolts over the rear lights protections, I replaced the support for the external tools too.

On the front hull I added two flat lifting eyes like the AZDAJA tank (spare parts from Takom M47G, code 2070 - By the way, these new kit have a catastrophic failure in the turret).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

Many thanks folks, you are very kind, but the work is very primitive and  not attractive. I hope to change this look soon as possible, there are many things to do.

Hi John, everybody knows that the M47 Patton, code 6447, is one of the best kit produced by Italeri and, summarizing, the Takom M47 turret has wrong dimensions, it is smaller than the Italeri kit.

If you compare with Italeri M47 turret, side by side, you will see the big difference.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Very good progress, very detailed as expected.

Who would say that an Oldie like this, beat a new Takom kit, what an unpleasant surprise for those who buy one of the new ones.
I remember that when I first saw the Italeri kit, I was pleasantly surprised, because it seemed very detailed, even more than many of Tamiya, who were "The Queen" at the time, and that could hardly be bought for its high price, was Then when I discovered Italeri, with tighter prices, models that Tamiya didn't have, and some of an even higher quality, and even today, it resists ...

Cheers Carius :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Very good progress, very detailed as expected.

Who would say that an Oldie like this, beat a new Takom kit, what an unpleasant surprise for those who buy one of the new ones.
I remember that when I first saw the Italeri kit, I was pleasantly surprised, because it seemed very detailed, even more than many of Tamiya, who were "The Queen" at the time, and that could hardly be bought for its high price, was Then when I discovered Italeri, with tighter prices, models that Tamiya didn't have, and some of an even higher quality, and even today, it resists ...

Cheers Carius :thumbsup:

Hello, my friend,

The Takom kit has many good points, I dont have doubt about that. However, the biggest problem is the tower dimensions. At the first glance the turret looks impressive, but it is smaller than it should be, I think.

Therefore I agree with Mr. Cookie Sewell and Mr. Terry Ashley that this kit is one of the best kit ever produced by Italeri, even by current standards.

By the way, about the Italeri turret Mr. Cookie Sewell said “The turret is pretty well done, and captures the shape of the T42 turret.” And Mr. Terry Ashley “...the contours of the turret are captured very well with many separate parts in keeping with the rest of the kit.”

Until today I never saw any criticism about the M47 turret from Italeri.

So Francis, at the end, I'm disappointed with the new Takom kit.

Cheers :cheers:

7 hours ago, Jeff E said:

Coming together nicely Carius, excellent detail.

Jeff

Many thanks Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1