Another canberra 1/72 italeri

One of my good buddies gave me the canberra 1/72 italeri kit. Amongst other things. 

I've been away for a week on a family holiday and when I got back I was itching to do some tinkering. 

Yea I've got an enterprise kit  SF part of the forum, on the go, but the decals are trying to bleach in the window. Still no real joy. 

Anyway. Got home. Stuck the wings together and to the fuselage. Cockpit is glued to one side for now. Although only in places I could tare it off if need be. 

So far it's fitted really well. Odd dab of filler, but mostly due to the fleshy lump between the scalpel and the plastic. 

20190724_002042

I did however manage to sand off some raised panel lines around the engine

20190724_002110

Best way to restore them? Do they even belong there? Would anyone even notice? 

2019-06-21_09-26-48

• Like 4

Restoring raised detail can be done with stretched sprue or or even laying some tape along the line and layering some paint against it. Another option is to again use the tape, but run you knife along the line with a small amount of pressure which will create a small ridge of plastic

That line looks like the intake ring so I suppose it should be there. 

The B57 and the Canberra airframes were smoothly and well made for the most part. 

There's some great photo refs of ANG planes etc

You going for a paint /camo finish? 

Depending on how fine you paint, you might even want to ease the overall raised lines back a little. 

With these older kits it's sometimes hard to tell what should stay and what should go 

Plenty of material here (to drive you nuts) if you want! 

But you'll be able to see the standard of manufacture

Edited by rob Lyttle
Better link
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

Best way to restore them? Do they even belong there? Would anyone even notice? 

Just last week I finished an Airfix Canberra and dealt with the same issue.  I'd never restored panel lines before and what worked for me (your mileage may vary) was to take two pieces of tamiya tape and lay them along the edges of the existing panel line, put Mr. Surfacer 500 (from the bottle, not the spray) over it, then when dry sand it down, and pull the tape off.  At that point it likely sticks up too high and I used my fingernail to gently scrape the top down to size.  It took me a few tries on some scrap to get where I was comfortable using the technique on the model, but I am thrilled with the results.

So, a little discussion and a tutorial on my method (with pictures) is here:  

The pictures are toward the bottom.  there is a lot of useful discussion with other members on page 2 that might help you as well.

I hope this helps!  The raised panel lines were the most frustrating part of the build -- I'm glad I got them figured out and I hope you do too.

Edited by opus999
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right. Well I managed to get some time in on the cockpit. Just added some extra details with artistic licence. 

20190727_180110 20190727_175834 20190727_175815

I've got some metal ejector seats that I put in a mold at work, they're similar to the seat in the kit, but I ended up using the kits seats, albeit adding some details. Found and old electrical screwdriver, the deadly type where you put you finger on the endto test for live. It had a oull out bit with fuse wire in it. So I painted some up. 

20190727_202816

Works quite nicely on the seats

20190727_204136

Ive painted the panels black, kept the inside grey, added some lights and Button doo dahs. Will no doubt go back to repaint after over spray of the airbrush. 

20190727_210844

Need to add some white buttons and switches. But couldn't find the white paint. It's in the empire of dirt somewhere. 

Had a go at reinstating the raised panel lines, with a little success, not great, but I found it tedious. Next time I'll sand the whole lot, and engrave them. Much easier. 

2019-07-28_05-51-53

Now to pre shade and then lay some silver down on the body work

• Like 3

Go easy on the panel lines: the Canberra is a very smooth-skinned aeroplane and many of the fuselage skin joints are all but invisible in 1/1th scale.  Hatches, doors and frequently-removed panels are the most easily visible, the only places where skin joints are really visible are on the front fuselage where the exhaust from the starter cartridges leaves sooty marks.  Wing skin joints were more noticeable on high time/high cycle airframes but not to the extent often depicted on models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stever219 said:

Go easy on the panel lines: the Canberra is a very smooth-skinned aeroplane and many of the fuselage skin joints are all but invisible in 1/1th scale.  Hatches, doors and frequently-removed panels are the most easily visible, the only places where skin joints are really visible are on the front fuselage where the exhaust from the starter cartridges leaves sooty marks.  Wing skin joints were more noticeable on high time/high cycle airframes but not to the extent often depicted on models.

It's a good job I went heavy on the silver. I was thinking I may have over done it and lost the panel lines. But I suppose I'll be OK. I'll upload a pic later when I'm home from work. There's some darker patches, around the engines and where you say the sooty marks are, I'll leave it like that for now and add any more with pastel shades and a cotton bud

• 3 weeks later...

Been messing with this today. Resprayed the silver. Couple of coats of gloss and decided to put some of the main decals on. 

I'm not liking the black walkway lines (?) on the wing. Buggered one lot up already. 

Thankfully a good friend of mine sent me spares from a kit he built a while back. 

Edited by FPDPenguin
Phone autocorrect

Well I've done this backwards but I decided to mask of a couple of panels and spray it with some metalcote that I found. 

20190820_203246 20190820_203300

Need to spray another panel on the wing nearest the camera but I'm not sure which one yet. 

And of course I managed to destroy a decal, just as I thought is was going smoothly. 

2019-08-20_10-13-37

• Like 1

Working on an unrelated project I managed to get isopropyl on the model while it was sat In the shed. Managed to sort of fix that, but destroyed another decal. Then I tried to put the wing markings on with pen, that looked terrible so tried taking it off with a cotton bud. The section that had IPA on came away with surrounding paint and lacquer. 

I've no  choice now but to respray the entire thing. Guess it will be black and red. To save it becoming modern art its been boxed and shelved. So wont be doing anything to this until I've calmed down, and sanded the blooming thing down. 

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Found this under the sofa, forgot all about it. So decided to tackle it. Sanded it down sprayed grey, then some preshade. Got some old decals knocking about so should be able to make it at least half decent. 

20191208_162411

20191208_172755

20191208_172803

Most of those raised panel lines arent raised anymore, but you can make them out close up. Just not in the pics. 

Let's try the old battered decals. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled this old project out the weekend to have a tinker. Found some spare decals a friend sent me. I know the stars and bars is to small. But better than none. 

Still got to add a few bits, and the walkway lines. I might, the decals I have (left) for those are red. So no go. Maybe just paint them on, or sharpie 🤔

2020-01-05_09-33-47

• Like 1