Kovozavody Prostejov 1/72 Iljušin IL-2M "Černá smrt"

Hi There,

This one was for me and I think I bit off a lot more than I can chew at the moment.

Having been reading the marvellous "Red Star Against the Swastika" by Vasily B. Emelianenko and having received this kit whilst finishing the book I just had to give it a go.

I had built a kit without locating pins and such earlier- Eduard 1/48 Mach Buster X-1 - I thought how difficult would it be.

Painted with UMP White Primer, Vallejo Model air AMT-4 Camo Green, Mig AMT-7 Greyish Blue, Tamiya Nato Black and Neutral Grey.

I'm not convinced that the Vallejo Green is any where near the correct shade but the Mig green that I was going to put on just pooled on the surface. The Vallejo amt24 Green may be closer. I will see on the next one.

I messed up the white band by making it much too large. Still learning about masking stuff correctly.

I spent what seemed like days filling, filing and sanding to try and get this to a reasonable level but got to the stage that I just wanted it finished.

Not KP's or the kits fault, all purely down to my inexperience and impatience. I still had fun and learned a lot of lessons to be taken into future builds.

Anyway Here are the pics in all their brutality

NKEyB0c.jpg

Wi5xeIn.jpg

FCEot1X.jpg

5bjW9b0.jpg

HlKfA0Z.jpg

As always,

Thanks for looking and any comments, criticism or tips greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Alistair

Edited by AliGauld
Spelling Error
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking "Il Dvah" ! :clap2:... Personally i think the green color looks good. As for masking get yourself a cheap metal ruler about 15 or 30 cm's it will allow you to cut tape to any size you need and keep a straight edge. 

Many Thanks for your kind comments.

I do indeed have a metal ruler but my son has purloined it for his own nefarious purposes 😉.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Good effort for a early build. I find the colour is ok. If you are not using a mask set. A good trick for masking the canopy is to cut narrow strips of masking tap and place them around the edges. Then fill the middle.  This way you have more control of the shape.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Good effort for a early build. I find the colour is ok. If you are not using a mask set. A good trick for masking the canopy is to cut narrow strips of masking tap and place them around the edges. Then fill the middle.  This way you have more control of the shape.  

Thanks for that.

I used thin masking tape and filled the inside my mistake was placing the wrong edge of the tape at the wing end. My fault entirely.🤦‍♂️

Still learning hope I always will be.

The green looks fine .  I had read that the Soviets were not that specific on colors so when they said dark green (or whatever color) it was up to the factory to do their best to get what they thought was close enough and it could easily change as different paint became available, moving factories, etc.   They were not specific like the US using FS numbers.  I have always thought unless you had a color photo from the time you had some latitude.  Experts can now pick me a part if I am wrong

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

The green looks fine .  I had read that the Soviets were not that specific on colors so when they said dark green (or whatever color) it was up to the factory to do their best to get what they thought was close enough and it could easily change as different paint became available, moving factories, etc.   They were not specific like the US using FS numbers.  I have always thought unless you had a color photo from the time you had some latitude.  Experts can now pick me a part if I am wrong

Thank You

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks for that.

I used thin masking tape and filled the inside my mistake was placing the wrong edge of the tape at the wing end. My fault entirely.🤦‍♂️

Still learning hope I always will be.

I think you may have miss understood me. I was talking about the canopy masking. I noticed some of the corners are not as neat as they could be.  

This isn't a problem really. The way I suggested is the way I found I got neater masking on difficult windows. I myself are still trying to perfect this masking. 

5 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I think you may have miss understood me. I was talking about the canopy masking. I noticed some of the corners are not as neat as they could be.  

This isn't a problem really. The way I suggested is the way I found I got neater masking on difficult windows. I myself are still trying to perfect this masking. 

Yes Sorry my fault.

The Canopy masking gave me a bit of difficulty and i will try your suggestion next time.

I don't know why the white primer is showing up quite so strongly at the edges as I painted the masked frame with the interior colour first. I tried cleaning up with a cocktail stick when it was unmasked but the white seems to be set like concrete.

Cheers,

Alistair