Vosper MTB 233 1/72

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

What the hell - too late now I'll live with it.  Then the demons came........:nodding:

🤣 🤣   you need to take more water with it mate 

but your attention to detail is what makes your miniatures stand out

:clap2:

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Forward ammunition lockers are fitted as is the wind deflector..

DSCF8943

The interior is nicely done including the ladder though it's the old story - it won't be seen...

DSCF9071

The wind deflector panels are added...

DSCF9073

DSCF9072

And the mast is finally Stepped!!!

DSCF9074

The anchor is fixxed and some pics show this arrangement on wartime boats clumsy as it looks.

DSCF9075

I use Grey wash diluted 50 : 50 with whit spirit to dirty up deck ropes and cheeses are made using sticky Tamiya tape - staine dthen "glued" with matt varnish...

DSCF9076

The end is in sight

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 14

If I may Rob?

You're are quite correct Stuart, in normal circumstances..........

The chain multiplies the holding factor of the anchor. It also serves to reduce the snatching at the anchor caused by the seas above

but

I don't recall ever seeing chain laid out on deck  in ref pics.

Reading books of the time, they were more likely to tie up to a navigation buoy

HTH

I've always wondered , do subs carry anchors?

Kev

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking fantastic Rob. Like what you've done with securing the anchour but a quick question. I've been led to believe that chain was fitted to the anchour before attaching rope or am I talking out of my butt?

Stuart

Stuart - I agree with Kev.  Small boats would always seek to have chain in an anchor set up and I have modelled chain previously which looks ever so nice!

However - I've yet to find a single picture of a small coastal craft with chain on the deck.  It's always anchor warp.

This arrangement of coiling around deck vents does appear but clearly would be awkward to free-up quickly.

FWIW there's a nice resin shackle that is partially obscured by the warp that looked great ( I'm sad aren't I! :nerd:)

I remember reading that weight distribution was an important factor in these vessels, the torpedoes lie over the cofg so no issues when fired but the mines fitted aft apparently were sufficient to compromise boat handling.

Submarines must  carry anchors - surely?

Rob

• Thanks 1

Thanks both.

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

45 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Submariines must  carry anchors - surely?

Most of them do. In the 'olden days', they used to be on the bow like ships but modern subs usually have then down towards the keel.

Confirmed here.

A Trafalgar Class Subs here

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 10:25 AM, longshanks said:

Cheers Stuart. You made my morning I've just added a 2 tonne anchor to my basket!!! :rofl2:

Only problem 

I can't carry it to the checkout :shrug:

Kev

Yes.......quite :fraidnot:

Well we arrive at the close down thread

RFI is here:

DSCF9118

As is my custom - here's a summary of the build Components

Coastal Craft Models 72ft 6ins MTB

This may well turn out to be an elegaic build as the future of Coastal Craft Models is in some doubt.  If this is the case it will be a crying shame.  They are the only game in town when it comes to complete 1/72 Coastal Craft models and necessary accessories.  This model exmplifies the range, being cast in resin with accompanying photo etch detailing.  Others have found the builds frustrating.  I encountered no real problems and the kit builds into a vey fine model IMHO.  The only real issue was a warped mast that refused to straighten, necessitating scratching a replacement.  If you've begun to build this kit - a replacement mast (possibly more accurate) shoudl be well within your measure.  The accompanying photo etch lends superbly to the detail and I really enjoyed the whole experience.  I think this is a very fine kit indeed.  Using the "Coastal Craft History - Volume 1" by Mark Smith, you can find many different examples with different colour schemes and weapon fits.  If you can still pick one of these up - my advice is DO!

Great Little Ships - Type "A" Mine and Chute set

Was itself a delight - produced in white metal and photo-etch.  I particularly liked the fact that "extra" pieces were included for lost, dropped or damaged in building occasions that we all experience.  GLS products tend to be very detailed and this set is no exception.  It lent an air of difference to the finished model

Sovereign hobbies - Colourcoats Paints

If you haven't ...........you should!!  I wouldn't use anything els for marine models now.  I'm very happy they are closer than any other paint range to original colours and I love their ease of use and vibrancy.  I don't actually think of them being enamels

Name-it - nameplates

Incredibly good value with near instant service - I know that some of you have started using them.  Invaluable.

Rigging

Really completes the model.  I use Bobs buckles https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/ with Uschi Stanard and Fine lycra stretch rigging.  I simmply can't understand how folks managed before stuff like this came along

So it's a wrap..

Thanks to All you lovely people for your considerable support and your very nice comments :winkgrin:

Rob

• Like 10

On 2/13/2020 at 3:43 PM, longshanks said:

Gidday All, here is a photo I took of HMAS Ovens, an Oberon boat now a museum at Fremantle, West Oz. Although the anchor is not in the photo the anchor cable (chain) is.

HMAS Ovens anchor hatch

I spent quite a few years in the Naval Reserve here and one of the vessels we used for weekend training was HDL 1325, which looked a lot like this boat (Rob's, not the sub) here (minus weapons - damn), particularly the coach-house forward of the bridge.

The anchor was a CQR like the one shown on Rob's boat here, but the entire length of the cable was chain, which we hauled up with a winch, man-handled the anchor onboard and then lashed it down.

A very neat build here, Rob, very well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 3