Less scuttlebutt, gerronwaeit!

:popcorn:

Chwarae teg!!

On 10/11/2019 at 1:53 AM, Ripaman said:

Great start Rob :like:

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard.

When promising primer - I had of course forgotten the exhaust outlets and the Cavitation plates :whistle:

The exhausts needed a bit of measuring to get in the right place.  I drilled a hole in the hull and Through the exhaust assembly so as to position

48898840613_e72165e864_b.jpgDSCF8784 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The Cavitation plates are really nicely done and build up effortlessly

48899371766_5a4b7c516e_b.jpgDSCF8783 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48899371611_99fddbea77_b.jpgDSCF8785 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

At the same time the Great Little Ships mine cradle supports were bent and attached

48898840538_45a6448181_b.jpgDSCF8786 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And here's a dry run of the cradle supports in situ

48898840468_e7a2abde81_b.jpgDSCF8787 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48899371396_50f134d0d7_b.jpgDSCF8788 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48899573202_a54a14a477_b.jpgDSCF8791 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

You'll notice a single hole each side drilled abaft of the exhaust assemblies that the instructions bid you do - they were auxillary engine vents.

I spent further time today studying the original pics - small as they are.  I think Mark smith got it absolutely right in his diagram. "233" had her forward ammo lockers at a 45 degree angle which was atypical and secondly there is a 3rd single ammo locker just aft of the 0.5 turret which appears on plans and pics and was fairly common.  There's no reference in the Coastal Craft instructions to fit this - so a 2nd type (smaller) ammo bin was taken from spares.

48899007558_a82bce1b1c_b.jpgScan0311 - Copy by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

This shows the general arrangement.  The ammo bins need a fair bit of sanding and shimming to allow for the curved deck

48899371196_eb4ec72c7c_b.jpgDSCF8790 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

It'll be  tight fit with the torpedo tubes and mines - space was cramped on these "short" MTBs.

And finally these arrived in the post today from Name it.  Excellent service as ever!

48899371286_0b6f0a8c28_b.jpgDSCF8793 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Thanks for looking - more later

Rob

• Like 11

Thanks Dan, Kev and Beefy.  Beefy - the name pates are always excellent.  The GLS sets are worth looking at but are fiddly.

20 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Nice progress, Rob.

The nameplates look great.  Is that second brass plate photo etched?

John

Yes John - "Name-it" do the photo etched offerings.  I used one on the  Fairmile.  There's a limit to the size (50 x 50mm) but I love them.

And now a short interlude for a book review as part of the build experience

48899371121_bf8ed78f51_b.jpgDSCF8794 (2) by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I think it was @stevehnz who originally turned me onto this book, “The Battle of the narrow seas” by Peter Scott, son of Peter Falcon Scott (Scott of the Antarctic) and eventual renowned naturalist.  He was a “Wavy Navy” (RNVR officer in Coastal forces and wrote this book immediately after the war recounting his and the broad experiences of Coastal forces in the English Channel throughout the war years.

This Seaforth publication covers 233 pages with many photographs and several colour prints illustrating contemporary paintings.  It is thoroughly readable and I highly commend it to anyone with a passing interest in Coastal Forces (often initially sniffily referred to by the regular Navy as “Costly Farces”).  It was fascinating reading this alongside a “short” MTB build.

I came away with several reflections

1)      The engagements (almost always at night) were very visceral.  At times almost Napoleonic with lines of MTBs Running up and down lines of “E” boats shooting broadsides at each other often over tens of yards!  Absolutely brutal

2)      Frequently bridges were hit by high caliber shells and effectively destroyed with the bridge crew being injured or killed, wooden splinters (once again Napoleonic)being a particular menace

3)      Engine failures/breakdowns were frequent, as was battle-damage induced steering failures.  I hadn’t realized how vulnerable steering was.

4)      The navigation was clearly of a very high standard to position in the dark and often less than perfect weather.  No GPS!!

5)      Ramming enemy E-boats was not rare :shocked:

6)      I had not perhaps realized how big a part the Steam “Geese” gunboats played.  Though peter Scott commanded one so perhaps there is some bias.  Similarly the Fairmile C MGBs figure prominently – at Dieppe, St Nazaire and right up to D-day.

7)      The MLs are given recognition for their unglamorous but highly necessary duties – including mine – laying, convoy protection etc.

😎     I had not realized that Mine-laying played such a pivotal role for MTBs/Coastal Craft as a whole.  Appropriate given that I’m modelling “233” in quite such a role      

9)      That whilst the E-boats were unequivocally faster, experience in testing them after the war demonstrated that they rolled far greater than British boats and were consequently less stable gun platforms.  Peter Scott often reflects that the German shooting was high or inaccurate

10)  That the famous pictures of the 2 E-boats after the war, at Felixstowe had less to do with surrender as such, but instead represented the Germans delivering Mine plans for the whole channel

I’m grateful to Steve (I’m certain it was Steve) for pointing this book out – grab a copy if you get a chance – highly recommended

Thanks for looking in

Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the mention @robgizlu, very likely was me as I know I've mentioned it on these forum, likely several times. :) That is a handsome cover yours has, mine is a 1946 second printing with style very much reflecting post war austerity measures, nevertheless, it is treasured. I re-read mine a year or so back & totally concur with your review of it. Very much a must for anyone into these craft.

Steve.

• Like 1

A minor detail, but 'Scott of the Antarctic" was Robert Falcon Scott and his son was Peter.

The book is indeed amazing - my father brought a copy home after he was demobilized in 1947 and I vividly remember reading it (in what was for me a rather foreign language) when I was about 7 years old - and drawing MTB's all over the place.

Maurice

• Thanks 1

Thanks Fellas.

I knocked up a grating to emulate a "Helmsman's Stool" as Mr Lambert referred to it

48943907023_5950e9fa7f_b.jpgDSCF8795 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And work continued on the bridge - I added a wheel mounting which definitely appears in some bridge pics though there seems to have been variation.  The etched hand rails supplied by CC are a nice touch

48943906983_ff18f41793_b.jpgDSCF8796 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48944453851_24b6604b05_b.jpgDSCF8797 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Most of the "looking down" pics I can find of these 1941 edition Vospers, appear to have the wind deflector partially covered adjoining the bridge walls.  CC have not allowed for this.  So I scratched some panels - the secondary gain being that the Wind deflector mating with the bridge walls will not have to be so  precise :nerd:

48943906688_46fe8d4d9d_b.jpgDSCF8800 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48944648362_be7a408183_b.jpgDSCF8799 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The prop shafts were mounted.....

48944453746_fc0a285c3a_b.jpgDSCF8802 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And finally first primer went on.....

48943906848_04cd351e5e_b.jpgDSCF8801 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

There were a couple of minor blemishes to fill but otherwise the primer shows just what a nice job of deck moulding Coastal craft models have done 

These are not cheap models but when you see the array of fittings, you get some idea of the work that's gone into this....

48944453716_6d92714ba0_b.jpgDSCF8803 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I spent tonight "wiring up" the Chemical Smoke Apparatus (CSA) which turned out OK - You can just see Samson posts and some Fire Extinguishers which are really nicely done 

48944648177_85db6090a8_b.jpgDSCF8806 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I also opened a set of "IFF & Radar aerials".  "233" definitely had IFF which wasn't included with the base kit (the aerials were).  It's rather elegant....

48944453521_2548d34d5a_b.jpgDSCF8807 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Sadly the mast isn't so elegant and attempts to straighten it with hot water gentle tension etc have apparently failed

48944648397_18aab310ae_b.jpgDSCF8798 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I've spent quite a bit of time studying Vosper pics and in many if not most the lower section of the mast is square not round.  Here's a pic demonstrating the situation and coincidentally also shows those wind deflector top panels...

48944733487_3f55160aaf_c.jpgmtb-9710 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I've only got plastic  1.5mm square rod so I'm waiting for 1mm Brass rod to arrive from Ebay which I feel will be provide a more rigid mast

48944648247_5c54febef3_b.jpgDSCF8804 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Expert progress as ever Rob, and a great insight into these resin kits from CC. The Peter Scott book looks like a must read, another one for the shopping list!

Terry

Yes my shopping list seems to grow too whenever I look into one of Rob,s builds but it is always good value for your money :book: cracking job so far these tips will come in very handy.

beefy

• Like 2

Thanks Fellas

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Very nice work Rob, love it.

What size plastic did you use for 'stool'? The mast fix will be interesting to watch, especially if the mast tapers...does it?

Stuart

Stuart, I used 0.3 x 0.5mm Plastruct rod - made a square 8mm wide and just built it up with 8mm long strips.  Surprisingly it took about 5mins:nerd:

As to the mast - moot point.  None of the pics of Vopser MTBs are particularly clear.  In John Lamberts book, the profiles appear to show the bottom piece of the mast 16 ft high in square shape up to the top mast which was 9ft high.  It does  not appear tapered. Earlier MTBs had slightly different mast arrangements with some clearly being round.  As is usual I suspect there was wide variation and fits differed yard to yard or after repairs.  Peter Scott mentions several times about the top mast coming down due to damage.  Interestingly the Airfix 73ft Vosper is supplied with a square "bottom" post which is untapered. 

So I'm going for an untapered bottom section unless anyone objects?

Rob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

I thought you said the diet was working :whistle:

Works for me

Kev

:lol::lol::lol:.....Aaaaah - You Young boys crack me up :bye:

Nerdy searching produced these "new" (to me anyways) pics, and with Grateful acknowledgement to the fantastic IWM collection

48948508323_70be534150_c.jpgBRITISH LIGHT COASTAL FORCES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48948477348_13145fa8f1_c.jpgWITH AN MTB FLOTILLA. 6 OCTOBER 1944, FELIXSTOWE. MTBs OF THE 21ST FLOTILLA UNDER THE COMMAND OF LIEUTENANT GEORGE J MACDONALD, DSO, DSC AND 2 BARS, RNZNVR, OF WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND. THE CRAFT ARE BUILT BY VOSPER. by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The mast is square in section and untapered. 

I'm still mulling over how  thick it is (you can see I've nothing better to fret about :wacko:)

One of the challenges stated at Blog outset was to replicate the 20mm Oerlikon whose pedestal is "perforated"....

48948468858_45e3870561_c.jpgWITH AN MTB FLOTILLA. 6 OCTOBER 1944, FELIXSTOWE. MTBs OF THE 21ST FLOTILLA UNDER THE COMMAND OF LIEUTENANT GEORGE J MACDONALD, DSO, DSC AND 2 BARS, RNZNVR, OF WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND. THE CRAFT ARE BUILT BY VOSPER. by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

So after much reflection, I chose a "UM models" 200mmOerlikon set I had and took the plastic pedestal.  They aren't bad models but are a bit underscale to my reckoning

Here's the Coastal craft resin offering in comparison.....

48948460863_d7d51890ce_b.jpgDSCF8810 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

My New doofer is the key.  I slid the pedestal into diminishingly smaller holes - scribing an accurate circle at 0.5mm intervals....

48948460958_9f2145b6d4_b.jpgDSCF8808 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

the scriber being my 6th form dissection set probe (invaluable!!)

48949202617_84d1806f63_b.jpgDSCF8809 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Then a bit of geometry with a protractor....

48949004936_4ba0c1afa2_b.jpgDSCF8811 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Which allowed me to mark the scribed circles at 30 degree segments....

48948460658_eeed57d95c_b.jpgDSCF8813 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Et voila  (happy boy :nodding:)

Yet to be cleaned up, but you get the idea...

48948460618_8fbe835a64_b.jpgDSCF8815 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Now ready to move onto the paint stage.

Thanks for looking, your support and encouragement is truly valuable

Rob

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Then a bit of geometry with a protractor....

Blimey Rob you must have gone to a real posh school to be able to say those things never mind spell them :winkgrin:

the only thing I could count at school was how many times the teacher threw the board buster at me  :whistle:

beefy

• Haha 4