Vosper MTB 233 1/72

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

The haul was modest...

:hmmm: We are going to have to take you in hand and lead you astray 😉

IMG_2180

Fancy that, perhaps a bit small for me . . . 

I have to agree with you on the quality of Barry Sharmans work

Good catching up with you Rob, will PM you as soon as I get over the jet lag :hypnotised:

Kev

• Like 2

The Hull is painted Vallejo model Air Black Grey 55, my go to generic RN anti-fouling

49078388646_d2153b68de_b.jpgDSCF8838 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And attention turned to the Torpedo "Chocks" that need filing down at one end to accommodate the raised deck centre pieces and shimming at t'other end to flatten them off.  all straight forward except that they impinged on the mine /rack which need some filing of the chock corner.  Decks were very cluttered

49078388581_57229f5598_b.jpgDSCF8839 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

49078592592_3812f57f8d_b.jpgDSCF8840 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I prepared to decal the hull pennant numbers then realised I only had CC Vosper set "72008" that portray slightly thinner numbers with the wrong "font"

So kudos to Cornwall model boats who dispatched an order that arrived within 48 hrs flat :thumbsup:, order being restored to the universe...

49078592497_57df89fe5c_b.jpgDSCF8845 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Some OTT weathering was done to the 0.5 bin :blush:

49077860688_6c99d93abc_b.jpgDSCF8841 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

49078592532_50df9f99d8_b.jpgDSCF8842 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

It's almost a model in it's own right

49078592202_76dfb3da4a_b.jpgDSCF8843 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Looing at mark Smith's profile I reflected that the 20mm pedestal on the original was quite short so cut down my original piece sanding at top and bottom so that it doesn't "sit" too high when fitted

49077860338_eed8a6ea0e_b.jpgDSCF8851 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

49078592242_e8a5ed4cc2_b.jpgDSCF8852 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

This CC Oerlikon suffers the coastal Craft equivalent of Peyronies syndrome (look it up) to a lesser degree than most despite all attempts to straighten the barrel which as per past builds will likely be replaced with brass 0.5mm tube

49078592162_d367403e51_b.jpgDSCF8853 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The bridge and deckhouse was unmasked - you'll see the white section that the wind deflector will sit over.

49077860483_589c7fe50a_b.jpgDSCF8847 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And a quick vanity progress shot...

49077860368_cfea95758f_b.jpgDSCF8850 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Finally - just some quick pics of 2 new Coastal craft offerings picked up  last week (forgot to say about them above!)

The first consists of horizontal Flare rocket racks that several of 233's sister vessels carried (very useful)

49078388291_77f4b468a2_b.jpgDSCF8848 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And an alternative Flare launcher that I believe contains parts to fix to a 6 Pdr or similar gun

49077860403_a37a87e74a_b.jpgDSCF8849 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

As ever thanks for looking, comments and support - hugely appreciated 

Rob

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Peyronies syndrome (look it up)

What's the medical term for I've just fallen off my chair laughing :rofl2:

Your builds always look like they've just come out of the showroom, even the weathered bits. 

19 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

And a quick vanity progress shot...

I hope you made the appropriate noises . . . .

A handsome bit of modelling

Kev

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/11/2019 at 6:56 PM, longshanks said:

IMG_2180

Fancy that, perhaps a bit small for me . . . 

Kev

That was Jim Baumann's model and as always it would be easy to overlook at first glance, but the longer and closer you look the more beautiful it gets. Most models look good until you look closely. Jim's are not attention grabbers but after close examination one wonders how on Earth he does it...

• Like 4

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

This CC Oerlikon suffers the coastal Craft equivalent of Peyronies syndrome (look it up)

It is not quite the same as brewer's droop but can be painful or so I am told  :yikes:

beefy

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

The observant amongst you will have noted that despite my enthusiasm at having obtained decals - Sadly they are a different font from the (rather unique kit-supplied ones).  Not "Bold" enough and the 3's aren't rounded

So whilst I try to source some "3"s in a rounded bold style this build is on temporary hold.

Some progress before the interlude.

The windows in the wheelhouse pose a problem.  if you mount clear plastic behind the frames, there's a big and noticeable lip.

The solution is to cut clear pieces that exactly match the apertures.

Tricky, but after several goes, here's the result.  Canopy glue covers tiny cracks and the "Flush" appearance is a lot more convincing than placing the windows "behind" the frames.

49137513892_52b1829540_b.jpgDSCF8856 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The Flag locker was "filled"

49136826198_b182308052_b.jpgDSCF8857 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And work continued on the "A" class mines.  In hindsight I should have fitted the photo-etch securing wires and chains before painting :whistle:

49137513962_42406dd05a_b.jpgDSCF8855 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

49136826143_11d801419d_b.jpgDSCF8876 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Back soon

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 8

This is all coming along splendidly Rob. I especially like the weathering on some of those smaller supports and inside and around the twin MG mount. Really does set them off so realistically. Good luck with sourcing the corre t font decals.

Terry

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Martin Blundell very kindly gifted me 2 extra decal sets - and for this I'm extremely grateful

I know he's not been well and I do hope he's making a speedy recovery.

I was alarmed when the site went down and Coastal Craft boat models and accessories have all but disapeared froom suppliers

I'm grateful to Al Gunthwaire for his update...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235065462-coastal-craft-models-website/

I do hope they continue in business - were they not to, it would be a huge loss to Coastal Forces and WW2 1/72 WW2 boat modellers

Here's hoping!!!

DSCF8902

An early Christmas present!!

And so onwards

DSCF8926

DSCF8925

DSCF8927

Some deck weathering...

DSCF8908

And the engine exhaust outlets

DSCF8909

The wiindscreen vents were fixed using "Klear" varnish.  All went well until the last middle which "pinged" off the forcep tweezers teeth and despite a 2 hour forensic search remained absent:rant:

I searched through my old "used" etch sets band eventually found a simialr sized "ring" from the White ensign models" PE set for the S-100.

I'm now working a clear desk and surround policy - no wool sweaters and trying to work with etch pieces within a plastic tray :raincloud:

However - the end resul tis pleasing and Coastal Craft really got this right :goodjob:

DSCF8923

DSCF8924

I stumbled across these while searching for 1/700 "Master" masts...

DSCF8921

I think they are new and designed for an AA 1/72 Crusader.  

DSCF8922

Game on - they provide the ultimate solution to the CC barrels that need replacing due to bending :clap2:

And lastly if - the worry about the longevity of Coastal Craft Models wasn't a reminder as to how fragile this hobby can be in terems of supply, this is not currenlty available!!!:weep:

DSCF8907

This has been the one single thing that has made Photo- etch manageable!

I'm sorry folks - I had the last bottle that I could find on the web that came from Italy.  I'm conscious that supplies in the past have been a bit hit and miss.  Let me know if you think this is just a temporary Blip.

I've had this arrive to try as an alternative if that's the end of "thin Gators Grip"

DSCF8928

Final straight now - 

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 10

Absolutely stunning work Rob, you always manage to make your 1/72 models look like exquisitely built 1/35 ones. I'm not sure but I think the perforated 20 mm pedestal only had three rows of holes :

pzgU9LS.jpg

Old school modeller, he didn't worry about pe parts :

VpJ7FJa.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2020 at 7:36 AM, Courageous said:

Glad to see you back on the Vosper.

As a Gator Grip- thin replacement, you could try Formula 560 canopy glue and that MIG glue looks like the same stuff. Formula 560 review here

Stuart

Thanks for that Stuart - In fact the Mig Ammo offering is actually pretty good and very similar to the Thin blend Gator's Grip.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:51 AM, Arjan said:

Absolutely stunning work Rob, you always manage to make your 1/72 models look like exquisitely built 1/35 ones. I'm not sure but I think the perforated 20 mm pedestal only had three rows of holes :

pzgU9LS.jpg

Old school modeller, he didn't worry about pe parts :

VpJ7FJa.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Thanks Arjan - I'd not seen thses.  Love the second pic !!  They look pretty slick models as I imagine they were wood.

As to the first pic...........:rant: :lalala: :banghead:

I thought - What the hell - too late now I'll live with it.  Then the demons came........:nodding:

DSCF8934

Well I had to didn't I :elephant:

233 had 507C all the way down the hull sides to below the water line. 

Scan0311

At first I thought I'd leave well alone but then the same demons came :whistle:

I thought she needed a scum line.

DSCF8930

DSCF8931

It will tone down at the varnish layer.

The Torpedo supports and loading chocks were carefully aligned and glued with Mig Ammo "Ultra Glue"

DSCF8932

the chartroom/wheelhouse was completed ready for "Closng up"

DSCF8937

The bridge was finished off

DSCF8933

And vent cowls and bollards fitted

DSCF8936

And thank you for your prompting Arjan.  The height of the oerlikon now I think (being reduced) is better 

DSCF8939

It really is quite low in that IWM picture!

Thanks for looking, your support and comments

Rob

• Like 11