Vosper MTB 233 1/72

Well with a little bit of mud modelling accomplished to finish the Loyd Carrier and continue work on the much neglected Nagmachon, I'm drawn back to Coastal Forces.

I'm conscious that I haven't tried a Coastal Craft model yet, despite having several in the stash. 

Beefy's build has whetted my appetite BPBC 466 MTB Royal Canadian Navy

I feel the need for a bit of "immediate gratification" modelling without any scratching on this one so it's an off with the 72.5ft "1941" Vosper, and I'm going to build "233" instead of "234" (Peter Dickens boat) which the kit features.  There are some minor differences that we'll come to.  I hope it proves to be an easier exercise than Beefy found.

Here's Mark Smith's depiction of 233, as ever inspirational, from Vol 1 of "Coastal craft History",

spacer.png

And here's some Wartime pictures,

spacer.png

Hooning down Southampton Water!!

spacer.png

History

She was built by the Berthon Boat Company in Lymington, completed in January 1942.  At the time of the above pictures and colour scheme she served with 21st Flotilla, first at HMS hornet at Gosport and then from Summer 1944 at HMS Beehive in Felixstowe.  She survived the war, was disposed of in 1945 and was renamed Sea Vixen ending up at Highcliffe sailing club as their headquarters at Christchurch Priory where she was burnt and destroyed in 1971.

References

spacer.png

Build Challenges

1) The F'wd Oerlikon mounting is perforated, presumably to save weight.  I've not been able to find documentary evidence and it certainly doesn't appear in any of John Lambert's drawings, that I can find.  I have some ideas on how to do this that involves my newest ,latest, greatest tool..........

spacer.png

2) The Hull/deck mating.  The modeller who built his on 'Scale Modelling Now' used a Perma-Grit Sanding block to file down the underneath of the  heavily cast resin deck so as to make it more flexible.  We shall see, but regardless I am now the  proud owner of said Perma-grit sanding "Flat -file" (get me :nerd: !)

3) Vickers 0.5in turret guns in the Mk V turret are a nightmare to file and prepare :pray:  I'm having cold sweats just thinking about it.

4) 233 as depicted carries mines.  The MTBs often acted as mine layers and 'Great Little ships' do a set of "A" mines that one of the above pics show.  

spacer.png

So - let the build commence.

The instructions come as a ringbound A4 booklet with history, colour scheme info and picture illustrations as a guide

spacer.png

They are definitely not Tamiya!!  And you will need external references.  

The kit is presented in an "A4" sized box, very neatly and safely packaged.

spacer.png

The Hull and deck are substantial resin mouldings

spacer.png

My kit came with an etched metal stand, the resin one on display happens to be from a BPBC kit , the resin one just seems easier to use during construction.

Some careful Whittling using the reverse (noncutting side)  of a No 5 Swann Morton blade to "scrape" resin away is necessary to get the hull and deck to snugly fit

spacer.png

Some (possiby quite a lot of) filler will be needed....

spacer.png

The Hull is deliberately moulded too long  with the expectation that you saw or file to length...

spacer.png

It's then intended that the transom be made from card with a template provided.

When the Deck and hull are sufficiently "matched" - they'll be bonded with 5min 2 part epoxy and clamped.  (Don't forget to drill the portholes through the guides on the inner side of the hull!)

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and it's good to be back in the waves again :winkgrin:

Rob

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Watching and learning :popcorn:

Kev

You and me too 

Now someone comes along and can show me how to do these properly. :doh:

Erm what was that you said about starting before you finish other stuff :wicked:

beefy 

• Haha 2

Interesting build Rob ! I doubt though if "immediate gratification" is applicable to this Coastal Craft kit 🙂. I don't know anything about these perforated Oerlikon pedestals but my guess is that it was a field modification possibly limited to the boats of one Flotilla. I take it you know this pic of MTB 224 showing the type of pedestal in question :

7c9jywH.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Arjan's pic of 224 shows a different angle waterline that doesn't follow the rubbing strake(?) as depicted in instructions (although, I believe this pic is later war than the CC kit as there are twin Oerlikons fitted instead of the .50's), and look at 244 in the background with fully painted lower hull.

Tom

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 7:36 PM, beefy66 said:

You and me too 

Now someone comes along and can show me how to do these properly. :doh:

Erm what was that you said about starting before you finish other stuff :wicked:

beefy 

Should keep my Gob shut!!:blush:

23 hours ago, Arjan said:

Interesting build Rob ! I doubt though if "immediate gratification" is applicable to this Coastal Craft kit 🙂. I don't know anything about these perforated Oerlikon pedestals but my guess is that it was a field modification possibly limited to the boats of one Flotilla. I take it you know this pic of MTB 224 showing the type of pedestal in question :

Regards,

Arjan

Thanks Arjan -I'm aware of that pic  and I think you might be right on both counts!  

Rob

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Arjan's pic of 224 shows a different angle waterline that doesn't follow the rubbing strake(?) as depicted in instructions (although, I believe this pic is later war than the CC kit as there are twin Oerlikons fitted instead of the .50's), and look at 244 in the background with fully painted lower hull.

Tom

Hi Tom

It's confusing, but I think it's the same hull and the antifouling is just painted above the strake which has remained white - odd I know (I might be wrong)

The weapons fit certainly changed, particularly as 20mm Oerlikons became more widely available as the war progressed

Rob

I'm definitely on for this one Rob, having recently recommenced work on my Vosper. I have a few challenges on the Oerlikon front also, and will be updating my blog shortly to show that.

Terry

• Like 1

If you look at the stem of 224 in that pic you can see a wedge of white tapering aft under the strake. It suggests to me the anti fouling (particularly on a fully painted lower hull) followed the true water line contour.

(mind you, there's no way I'm going to try to replicate that when my Cc kits get started whenever that'll be!)

It almost looks like the AF paint has worn away (or the white painted over it has)!

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Testing

Hi team Sorry - Null post - used to trial Flickr

Basically I switched PCs upgrading to Win 10 - forgot my password to Village photos.

Their password reset does not work and they have failed to respond to emails so with my previous pics "locked" in Village Photos, I've enrolled with Flickr.

Model update soon

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks Terry - I'm coming around to that thinking!

And so.....where were we?

The transom gets sawn down to size.  And the theme of this build to date is sawing.  If you are going to attempt a Coastal Craft model - get some decent craft micro saws - makes a huge difference - AND a face mask and take anti dust precautions

48837250632_6b4d121755_b.jpgDSCF8753 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48836703298_ef9b821558_b.jpgDSCF8754 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48836703213_8083008ba3_b.jpgDSCF8755 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The deck is then mated to the hull using 5 min epoxy, clamps and foul language :blush:

After of course remembering to drill the portholes out from within  :clap2:

48837073566_f610428318_b.jpgDSCF8756 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And while all this is going on - the 0.5 tub was filed down to size...

48837250257_ea762cee68_b.jpgDSCF8759 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And the very delicate 0.5 guns were sawn from their moulding plate...

48836702848_ab8fe97bfb_b.jpgDSCF8760 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I filed from below on a previous build - DON'T.  Use a saw - it's easier and there's less chance of damaging the delicate barrel muzzles.  This turned out to be less fraught than I'd feared.

AND while all this is going on - keep that saw warm by sawing through the bridge coaming (and YES - I know it's the wrong one - 2 are supplied - this one is angled at the front - 233 had a flat forward facing coaming)

48836703078_bfcd69673b_b.jpgDSCF8757 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

So with a new PC - faster than of yore and Flickr as a new photo-hosting service the future is bright :bye:

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Some heavy duty stuff with the boat. Why shorten the hull, CC kit wrong?:shrug: As for that bridge coaming, reckon you could scratch a better one?:wink:

Stuart

Hi Stuart 

The hulls are moulded deliberately too long with the expectation that you saw and complete the transom with card (template provided).  There's some sense in this as the moulding join between hull and deck will always be a little variable.

As to bridge coaming - (Thanks!) but the aim was to stick to the model if at all possible (though that has already come off the rails - more to follow).  It's actually quite good.

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Good to see this back on the bench ...........

Some fairly big lumps of resin to deal with :fight:  and a fine selection of saws to take them on

Kev

Saws are definitely the theme here Kev.  The one with the orange handle - is a Chinese "Manwah" offering - excellent value for about £6 from Ebay.

Rob

• Like 2

Oh yes the Coastal Craft experience gives me nightmares just thinking about it 😖

mind you at least your decks are fairly straightforward I had to put a bend in to mine 

now you can just imagine the colourful language that came from my garage 🤬

looking great Rob 

beefy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/3/2019 at 9:40 PM, JohnWS said:

Nice work, Rob.

Looking at all that sawing wore me out.  Time for some refreshment to get my energy back.  :drink: ;)

John

:rofl:Sadly John - I Can't join you as I'm in a Stoptober pattern - due to Mr M getting rather porky of late :blush:

But you are definitely responding appropriately :clap2:

On 10/4/2019 at 6:30 AM, beefy66 said:

Oh yes the Coastal Craft experience gives me nightmares just thinking about it 😖

mind you at least your decks are fairly straightforward I had to put a bend in to mine 

now you can just imagine the colourful language that came from my garage 🤬

looking great Rob 

beefy 

Hi Beefy

In truth I was expecting to have to file the underneath of my deck down so as to bend to "mate" with the hull but in truth fit was really rather good with a minimum of drama.

It's definitely a different pace with a lot more preparation in terms of sanding and cleaning parts up, so far so good.

So here's the transom...

48864740718_76e91cc814_b.jpgDSCF8767 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48864740788_a5c188dcc2_b.jpgDSCF8766 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

In truth filling and sanding has been slight...

48865460347_0dc05d8550_b.jpgDSCF8768 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I've been preparing all the detail parts including scrupulous washing in detergent so as to keep my priming to a minimum...

48864740438_3d3828479c_b.jpgDSCF8774 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

There's a little bit of filling needed on a few parts where the moulding hasn't quite taken but he detail on the torpedo casings and their mounts is really admirable...

48865258856_1379c25734_b.jpgDSCF8777 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The instrument console is nicely done though in truth won't really be seen.  For those who haven't seen a Coastal craft kit before the Carley float is very nicely done...

48865459822_81281bea90_b.jpgDSCF8780 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I've begun building the "A" mine racks from Great Little ships, they are really nicely detailed...

48864740373_6a26dbd72b_b.jpgDSCF8775 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The only minor setback to date has been the wheelhouse roof which really didn't fit that well...

48864740143_d1337d7e5d_b.jpgDSCF8771 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

It didn't have an angle "downwards" (towards the bow) that is quite prominent, so some very short scratch work produced an alternative that fits better and with the aid of the shims visible in the shots gives a better sloping angle...

48865259116_c4e7092075_b.jpgDSCF8769 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48864740578_72279718ab_b.jpgDSCF8770 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48865259026_596fe7c90d_b.jpgDSCF8772 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

48865258781_4ef0ca3d14_b.jpgDSCF8779 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

This shot hints at the eventual layout...

48865460117_976af9c066_b.jpgDSCF8773 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And with the addition of Scuttles and deck vents, the hull and deck are ready for final priming.

48865459697_24ab398ea5_b.jpgDSCF8782 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I'll start detailing the bridge with handrails etc and here's a quick pic of the excellent photo etch supplied

48865258826_d493b74f05_b.jpgDSCF8778 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

Oh - and isn't Flickr easy to use !!:clap2:

Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 11

Cor  look at you go    . . . . .   🚴‍♂️

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

So here's the transom...

Looks like it was made to fit  😉

Going going Rob, ready for Telford at this rate ................

Kev

• Haha 2