Airfix JU88

Juan R-S

Hello all,

Does the old mold Airfix Ju88 A-4 have the same wingspan as the JU88 A-1 and early A-5?

It may be possible to change the engine oil cooler/pan and use a canopy with single rear gunner to do a conversion.

All other detail anomalies and mold age may be forgiven.  Can someone please confirm above query?

The wings can be cut-out following the drawings. There are aslo diferences in engines (no intake below and other sections in front radiator) and the main differece: in A-1 there is a single MG in end of canopy. I think that A1 had no airbreaks below wings also

11285_2_tch32038_2.jpg.

J-W

• Like 2

Also the radiator is different.   The propellers are narrow bladed. The under fuselage Bola is different.  There is no cockpit detail, and all the weapons are crude.  The fuselage is the wrong section.  Frankly, chopping the wings to the shorter span is easy compared with making the kit look like a decent model of the Ju.88.  

• Like 1

Not sure if you would consider it just a detail anomaly or not but the real plane has a tapering oval fuselage cross section while that old kit has an essentially rectangular cross section with rounded corners

28 minutes ago, Juan R-S said:

Thanks guys for your kind comments.  Looks like I may have to wait for Airfix to do an accurate JU-88 A-1.  The World waits....impatiently.

Someone will start an Airfix 2020 thread soon enough and no doubt this will be on the wish list!

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Juan R-S said:

Thanks guys for your kind comments.  Looks like I may have to wait for Airfix to do an accurate JU-88 A-1.  The World waits....impatiently.

What about Zvezda's Ju-88A-5? It's essentially the same as the A-1 in most respects, cutting down the wing would be pretty straightforward.

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Heraldcoupe said:

What about Zvezda's Ju-88A-5? It's essentially the same as the A-1 in most respects, cutting down the wing would be pretty straightforward.

Cheers,

Bill.

Problem with the Zvezda kit is that the engine and wheel well nacelles are undersized.  I do not recall if they are as badly undersized when compared to the Italeri and AMT/AMTech kits.  Revell and Hasegawa's equivalent are far more accurate.  IMHO, you'd be better off starting with one of those kits for such a project (in lieu of waiting for either of those companies to release the A-1 or A-5 variants).  You will still need to do some of the mods as outlined above by other members here.

I believe that Hasegawa may have supplied the right gondola for the A-1/5 in one of their Ju.88C kit releases, this one I believe.

Plus, both the Hasegawa and Revell kits lend themselves to conversion to the A-1 as the wing tips are seperate -  which begs the question, why neither company has not just released these variants.  Revell did it in 1/32, so why have they dragged their rear ends and not done one in 1/72???

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Heraldcoupe said:

Cheers,

Bill.

That is why I have this kit in my stash :)

19 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Problem with the Zvezda kit is that the engine and wheel well nacelles are undersized.  I do not recall if they are as badly undersized when compared to the Italeri and AMT/AMTech kits.  Revell and Hasegawa's equivalent are far more accurate.  IMHO, you'd be better off starting with one of those kits for such a project (in lieu of waiting for either of those companies to release the A-1 or A-5 variants).  You will still need to do some of the mods as outlined above by other members here.

Regarding some drawings  it is rather the Italeri Ju-88 with oversized engines....

But I agree that Hasegawa kit is technologically prepared for releasing A1 .

Cheers

J-W

It will be annunced right after I will do scratch conversion of Zvezda  kit to A1 ;) It was the same (not exactly by Airfix, but anyway)  with mine Northrops Delta and Gamma 2e, DH Fox Moth, Lancaster Mk II and Defiant! 

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JWM said:

It will be annunced right after I will do scratch conversion of Zvezda  kit to A1 ;) It was the same (not exactly by Airfix, but anyway)  with mine Northrops Delta and Gamma 2e, DH Fox Moth, Lancaster Mk II and Defiant! 

Cheers

J-W

Please start work today!

• Haha 3

Hi all,

I compared these three models with each other just a few weeks ago. I believe that the Hasegawa kit is the golden standard for accuracy, Revell has slightly bigger engine cowlings but the more serious thing is the too narrow, long and pointed wingtips. Correcting tis needs a wedge to the outer wing from flap/aileron joint line outwards. Just wondering why this is not noted anywhere? I scaled a good top surface phto to verify this.

Zvezda has slightly smaller nacelles than Hasegawa but the difference is something like +/- 1mm between these three IIRC.

For A-1 I'd start from the Zvezda as I'll do with A-5. Zvezda spinners for wooden prop would serve as a correction for the Revell ones.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:44 AM, Andre B said:

How hard would it be to backdate the Revell Ju 88 A4?

Cheers / André

Hi Andre,

Pretty hard. I wouldn't do it but start from the Zvezda A-5 instead. It needs only shortening wing tips. IIRC all the other parts are in the box.

Backdating A-4 to A-1 needs at least shortening wing tips, different armamaent, old type rear top canopy, old type bottm entrance hatch, narrow propeller blades, more pointed spinners, different front face of the cowling and, no piping cover under nacelles.

Cheers,

AaCee