Hello Martian,

I work as a Geologist in the Pilbara region of Western Australia and consequently was invited to a conference last night with a couple of folks from NASA and some University boffins. The purpose was to discuss strategies for searching for life on Mars.

The NASA folks were surprised, and appeared to be a little confused, when I suggested going to Poole in the UK and trying to lure Martians out of hiding by scattering freshly moulded 1/72 scale kits of HM Customs boats about the countryside.

We also discussed the possibility of sending a contingent to the next Scale  Model World at Telford, where numerous sightings have been recorded. The response was at best lukewarm, so it looks like you are safe for now.

I’ll keep you informed if I hear anything more.

Bandsaw Steve

Martian hunting advisory board

• Haha 8

On 15/08/2019 at 07:37, Martian Hale said:

On 15/08/2019 at 07:43, Courageous said:

Looks like you've been busy. Hull looks fantastic!

Stuart

Thanks Stuart.

On 15/08/2019 at 08:49, longshanks said:

Cracking job Martian, realy looks the part

Kev

Cheers Kev

13 hours ago, Murdo said:

Love that wood effect!!!

:clap2:

Thanks Murdo, considering it is the first time I have used the AK stuff, I am quite pleased with it.

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Hello Martian,

I work as a Geologist in the Pilbara region of Western Australia and consequently was invited to a conference last night with a couple of folks from NASA and some University boffins. The purpose was to discuss strategies for searching for life on Mars.

The NASA folks were surprised, and appeared to be a little confused, when I suggested going to Poole in the UK and trying to lure Martians out of hiding by scattering freshly moulded 1/72 scale kits of HM Customs boats about the countryside.

We also discussed the possibility of sending a contingent to the next Scale  Model World at Telford, where numerous sightings have been recorded. The response was at best lukewarm, so it looks like you are safe for now.

I’ll keep you informed if I hear anything more.

Bandsaw Steve

Martian hunting advisory board

Well if the plonkers want to spend billions of dollars on the long flog to Mars when all they need to do is follow your very sensible advice, then that's their lookout. Show them this post, all they have to do is book an appointment. I don't come cheap but I am a great deal cheaper than a full blown space program. 

Martian.👽

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Catching up on this I see you have managed to turn plastic into wood. Alchemy at work I say!

Marvellous stuff Martian.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I do it by drag brushing thinned acrylics over each other until the desired look is achieved, much quicker than using oils. It is advisable to lay down a coat of gloss varnish over the finished paintwork. Partly to add depth to the finish and to protect against wear. The gloss can be toned down at the end of the build. Update imminent.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

I have now got to the stage where the decks and bulwarks are painted. I should have liked to have painted and detailed them before the hull halves were joined but the imperative then was to get everything glued together to strengthen the warped hull and worry about the painting later. The hull has now had a coat of Taniya clear varnish which has had a good 24 hours to cure which should protect the paintwork as I handle the model while doing the rigging. The mizzen mast has been glued to the model but I have kept the main mast loose as there is still a good deal of work I can do with it off the model. There a few odds and sods left to do but essentially she is ready for rigging.

Martian👽

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

• Like 11

Nobody does framework  like you Martian - you're an absolute divil for the stuff. To which has to be added now he's no slouch at the woodwork either.

Stately progress you old Arean crustacean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Nobody does framework  like you Martian - you're an absolute divil for the stuff. To which has to be added now he's no slouch at the woodwork either.

Stately progress you old Arean crustacean.

Thanks your Baronesship.

51 minutes ago, Murdo said:

Looking very nicely ship shape!

Thanks Murdo but as I once pointed out to @longshanks, I set out to build a tractor.

Martian the Confused 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Hey Martian, I don't like it ... I love it!

Your Corsair looks great & with a very realistic finish.

John

Thanks John. I have to say that I am enjoying this build immensely and will be a bit sad when it is finished.

Martian 👽

She looks lovely even before rigging, but you need to up your game on the setting.  In the past 10 minutes alone I’ve seen the same keyboard acting as a Whitley wing jig and a Corsair seascape - and not really looking that convincing as either.

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

She looks lovely even before rigging, but you need to up your game on the setting.  In the past 10 minutes alone I’ve seen the same keyboard acting as a Whitley wing jig and a Corsair seascape - and not really looking that convincing as either.

And a Tupperware box acting as a slipway for a certain Ark Royal build?

Martian the Perceptive 👽

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

And a Tupperware box acting as a slipway for a certain Ark Royal build?

Well said that man!

She's looking really neat so far and I reckon the rigging will bring her alive.

Terry

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Well said that man!

She's looking really neat so far and I reckon the rigging will bring her alive.

Terry

Cheers Terry, I'm quite looking forward to doing the rigging.

Masochistic of Mars 👽

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Looking really good.  I thought the wood effect on the hull was good but the deck is even better

Thanks, strangely enough, I am not quite happy with the deck and may have another tinker about with it.

Martian 👽

The last few days have seen me beginning to add the rigging to the ,model. I have been using wooden rigging blocks for the process. These are a tad fiddly as they are the smallest one can buy. Still, all good practice for the larger scale builds that I have planned. Hopefully I will have another update either today or tomorrow, depending on my bad back.

Thanks for looking 

Martian 👽

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

• Like 10

I have now got to the stage where the rigging is about 90% complete. This is something of a miracle as near disaster struck yesterday evening. I was happily working on the rigging for the mizzen mast when I noticed that it had become very bent. I had been a bit concerned about the mast since I started this build as it looked very flimsy. Uttering unprintable alien swear words, I cut the mast and all it's rigging away and did what I should have done in the fist place: scratch built a new mast from Albion Alloys slide fit brass tubing (whatever did we do before this stuff came along?). If in any doubt on future builds, I think that this will be the road I will be going down from the start.

Next up will be to start thinking about how far I want to go in detailing the canons and fit the anchor.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

• Like 10