2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Two steps forward, one step back, so is the way in modelling.

Looks like you're cracking it with the masts, good work.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, the rigging is going to be the problem owing to the fact that I am having to work from pictures of large scale wooden models no two of which agree on the form it took.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

...therefore, you can't get it wrong.

Stuart

Just you watch me!

18 minutes ago, Murdo said:

:popcorn:

Enjoy the ride Murdo.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Like all the little details you have been adding brings a plain kit to another level  :popcorn:

beefy

Cheers Beefy.

Martian 👽

Sorry I missed your call for help on the rigging .  .  .

I suspect the lantern boom was hauled up in the same fashion as the fishing luggers the rigs being not dissimilar

On a lugger a pendant goes through the masthead sheave down to the bridle (?) . Basically a ring around the mast with a deep hook. This was hooked onto a  simple strop around the boom.

P1090992 (Copy)

Ignore the the chain below the hook.

The other side of the pendant was attached to a pulley system for heaving the whole lot up

P1090991 (Copy)

HTH

Kev

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Kev, that helps me to make sense of the fragmentary bits of detail I have got.

Grateful of Mars 👽

I have been plodding away at this between bouts of my trapped nerve over the last few days and have managed to get the main mast and associated yards assembled and painted. Thanks to the ever knowledgeable @longshanks I have been able to make and fit the brackets for raising the main lateen sail. I shall not be cementing the masts into place until the very last moment possible as having the ability to take them in and out of the boat in effect gives me an extra tentacle. I think I will tackle the attachment of the lateen yard to the mast next, I need to take a view as to whether this was rope or chain. I am not sure why but tI have got the idea in my head that it was chain. I have also found it very rewarding being able to tie the rigging off at the base of the mainmast in a prototypical manner. I had been worried that the cleats that I fitted would be strong enough but my worries seem to have been unfounded thus far.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

• Like 12

I had somehow missed this, but after a swift catch-up I am back with you.  Lovely work.  I recall a “tartan” featuring in at least one of the Patrick O’Brien books (as a privateer in the Med??), but have never known what one looks like before.

You may proceed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I had somehow missed this, but after a swift catch-up I am back with you.  Lovely work.  I recall a “tartan” featuring in at least one of the Patrick O’Brien books (as a privateer in the Med??), but have never known what one looks like before.

You may proceed.

Thanks you Crisp, both for the compliment and for your gracious permission to carry on.

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Looks right !

Carry on Sir

Kev

Thanks Kev, if you say it looks right then I have to be happy.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

That thing developed antennas....a Martian ship!

We had managed to keep this thread reasonably sensible (A minor miracle seeing as how I am running it!): until now. Congratulations on beating @corsaircorp to it Moa.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

We had managed to keep this thread reasonably sensible (A minor miracle seeing as how I am running it!): until now. Congratulations on beating @corsaircorp to it Moa.

Martian 👽

Please, don't even mention it.

As Kili and Fili (my 1/72 test pilots) too frequently say: At your service and your family's!

Don't get distracted, back to the building board you go now. Good lad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Having taken the masts forward about as far as I can for the moment, I decided to take a look at what else needs to be done to the hull before it is got ready for painting. The first thing I noticed was that, although I attached the cleats for the shrouds exactly were Heller recommended, they were not symmetrical and not by a small amount either. I decided to cut the kit items away and replace them with scratch built items that were also much more robust than the kit items. I made these in the same way as I did the cleats for the main mast.. I now have the task of making a load of tiny ring bolts for the cannons the main hatch and the attachment points for the shrouds, Sorry there is not more bling in this update but these more rudimentary jobs have to be tackled at some point in the build.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

036.jpg

041.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

but these more rudimentary jobs have to be tackled at some point in the build.

Gidday Martian, all model ships have them, I think. She's looking good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, all model ships have them, I think. She's looking good. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff.

57 minutes ago, Courageous said:

All that contrasty detail look really smart when the paint goes on.

Paint...Paint...Paint! :rofl:

Stuart

Patience,  Patience, Patience! Earthling. Even a multi-tentacled Martian has to finish building before he can paint and even an alien cannot paint bits he hasn't constructed yet.

Inadequate of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Cuprinol woodstain I assume? 

Great thread. I love to see plastic emulating wood!

Terry

Not quite Cuprinol but a wood effect you shall see.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Over the past few days I have started painting the hull. I began by drag brushing some acrylic yellow ochre over a white undercoat and going over this with some raw sienna. When dry, I painted over the whole with some AK Interactive Dark Wood Wash. Next up will be to spray a couple of coats of clear over the hull. This will protect the finish as well as adding some depth to the wood. When dry I will then see about getting the deck and bulwarks painted. Hopefully my new supplies of rigging thread should arrive soon and I can crack on with getting the main elements of the shrouds and stays prepared.

Martian 👽

043.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

• Like 13

53 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Very nice wood effect and I do like the blue go faster stripe. :popcorn:

Are you going to become an alien boy racer then. :whistle:

beefy 

Thanks Beefy. As to the alien boy racer, I do have something up one of my sleeves....  

4 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Oh yes!  That’s most convincing; excellent.

Thanks Crisp, its the first time I have tried this AK stuff and I am quite impressed with it, even if I did not use it in quite the way the manufacturer intended.

Martian 👽