Need some help, German Armour.

Harrier/ViperFan

I am going to be doing a diorama with my stepson as he has really got into modelling lately. Our idea is to have a American or British armoured column coming down some French rustic road towards a bridge and town. With a German Armoured Division waiting for them.

Now the American and British side of things is easy to find out, but we are having problems finding out what type of tanks would be in place in France 1944. So far all I have found out is Panther, Tiger 1 and King Tiger. But there was many types of Panthers, then there was Panzers, tank killers etc etc.

Can someone help me with what would be a good idea to use German wise for our Diorama? This area is all new to me as I am normally aircraft builder, but my stepson prefers things on the ground which is why we decided this option.

Any help on this would be greatly received. 

As far as vehicle types, the other main battle tank during this period would be the Panzer IV, but I guess you have that covered under 'Panzers'? 

The vehicle mix you want to portray depends on what your goal is.  Historical accuracy, or just a broad sampling showcase what the Germans had available on the western front?  I can tell you right now, that both the Tiger I & II were never part of panzer divisions, but were instead, placed separately in their own heavy tank battalions.  The Panzer Divisions were also not all the same either in terms of equipment.

This might be information overload, but the site has a good chart breakdown of German forces, and include vehicle types and quantity:

http://www.niehorster.org/011_germany/44-oob/44-06-01_neptune/OB_WEST/PzGr-West.htm

regards,

Jack

Hopefully there are a few points I can help out with, as mentioned above the larger tanks were in their own battalions but from the point of view of continuing your stepsons interest you'd want to throw in some heavies!

So.....:

Panthers are the A late type with Zimmerit

Tiger II B Porsche turret (very limited use and mostly in overall dark yellow), Henscel turret widely used, again with zimmerit

Tiger 1 E late (with and without steel wheels) with zimmerit

then there is a whole host of Panzer IV (Ausf G and H) with varying stages of side armour and zimmerit, Stug III G, Stug IV, Flakpanzer IV, armoured cars, sdkfz 251 D, sdkfz 250, anti tank guns 75mm & 88mm and a massive list of captured vehicles and oddities. If you are worried about accuracy then almost all tanks and fighting vehicles had zimmerit, no auxiliary or transport vehicles had zimmerit (including half tracks). If accuracy is not essential then leave the zimmerit off as it can suck the enthusiasm out of a project!

hope that helps

5 hours ago, Harrier/ViperFan said:

So far all I have found out is Panther, Tiger 1 and King Tiger.  Can someone help me with what would be a good idea to use German wise for our Diorama?

s.Pz.Abt 503 Tigers with 12 Tiger IIs of I./503 were in action in Normandy including one 'famous' action which saw a Kingtiger disabled after being rammed by a Sherman.. (Irish Guards IIRC) . The Americans didn't encounter any Tiger IIs until late August at Mantes south-west of Paris attempting to cross the Seine....

for Panthers in Normandy (33 Pz. Rgt of the 9 Pz. Div) do a google image search

Thanks guys you have given us a lot to think about and to read into, he is undecided if he wants Historically accurate or just to show what each side had to offer. I am leaning towards being accurate but this is about him and getting him into our hobby after all.

Hi

During the organised German withdrawal during the Normandy campaign, the Germans commonly left an AFV or a couple of anti-tank guns hidden to defend the village or strategic point and  hinder a rapid Allied advance.

A section of soldiers some armed with Panzerfaust would also be lurking to protect the tank or anti tank gun.

Typical a/tank guns would have been 75mm Pak 40

Typical AFVs would have been Panzer IVH or STUG IV SP gun.

Cheers